Aaron Rodgers and new contract

Golfman

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

We're back to being fans who punish a guy for asking what he's worth. Why is no one pissed at Davante? He didn't leave a dime.

No, we're not pissed at a guy asking for what he's worth.  Nobody is going to complain if Rodgers makes 32 million a year.  Everybody SHOULD complain if his contract is tied to a cap percentage. 

We're also pissed at a guy asking for more than he should considering his current contract situation.  He's got two years left on his deal.  If we're going to give him what he's worth, it should come when he has one year left on his deal. 

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

We're back to being fans who punish a guy for asking what he's worth. Why is no one pissed at Davante? He didn't leave a dime.

1st contract after rookie deal vs 3rd.

Legacy is tied to titles, not money earned is thd sporting world.

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

No, we're not pissed at a guy asking for what he's worth.  Nobody is going to complain if Rodgers makes 32 million a year.  Everybody SHOULD complain if his contract is tied to a cap percentage. 

We're also pissed at a guy asking for more than he should considering his current contract situation.  He's got two years left on his deal.  If we're going to give him what he's worth, it should come when he has one year left on his deal. 

I've not picked up anything to the effect that AR's been demanding a new contract.

I think all concerned recognize he's due one given how the market has passed him by, but it appears to be more the team wanting to set things right - and its in their interest to do it. Extend AR / guaranteeing  he'll be with the team beyond his current contract at salary levels which would be better than the FT amount. It's a win / win for both sides IMO. Dont know if the % of CAP or option year matters are truly being negotiated or are just media chatter.

4 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

You seem locked into the idea that tying a contract to the cap must be bad. In truth, it would all depend on what percentage of the cap the contract was. It could be a good deal. It is all about the numbers and projected cap increase.

In your second paragraph, I get the idea of waiting to get another year at the lower cost, though you always have to consider the possibility of a player holding out for free agency the closer they get to the end of the current contract. As for asking more than he is worth, it is his agents job to get the best contract he can for AR, that's the American way, whatever the contract size.

Aaron Rodgers will never hold out.  Not happening.  There is no rush to do a deal with Aaron.  The media loves to speculate about it.  Agree with HZ his deal should not be done until he has 1 year remaining on his contract.  Usually how it is done in GB.  Now this is AR we are talking about here so if they get it done mid season that is close enough.  Should be interesting.  If the deal is done before training camp the figures should be lower than if AR waits the Packers out.  Is he the best QB in the NFL?  I am not convinced.  Top 5 for sure.  Brady is the best QB in football.  AR wants that title he better start winning championships.

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Is he the best QB in the NFL?  I am not convinced.  Top 5 for sure.  Brady is the best QB in football.  AR wants that title he better start winning championships.

This is an interesting take.   Championships are a team award in football more than probably any other sport.  There aren't many if any seasons you can blame AR for not winning a championship.  Brady has missed an entire season and they still finished 11-5.  Brady averages 276 yards and 1.9 TDs with a 90 passer rating in the playoffs.  AR is averaging 278 yards,  2.2 TDs and a 99 passer rating in the playoffs.  

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Aaron Rodgers will never hold out.  Not happening.  There is no rush to do a deal with Aaron.  The media loves to speculate about it.  Agree with HZ his deal should not be done until he has 1 year remaining on his contract.  Usually how it is done in GB.  Now this is AR we are talking about here so if they get it done mid season that is close enough.  Should be interesting.  If the deal is done before training camp the figures should be lower than if AR waits the Packers out.  Is he the best QB in the NFL?  I am not convinced.  Top 5 for sure.  Brady is the best QB in football.  AR wants that title he better start winning championships.

I have said this before, but the sooner Rodgers gets his contract, the better deal the Packers are going to get.  Whenever this happens, his contract will, at the time of signing, represent the largest, most modern version of an NFL contract in history.  Guaranteed money, opt-out clauses, cap-ties, and termination insurance are all on the table now, and when the next CBA comes out, who knows what contracts will look like.  IMO, once the Packers see that Rodgers shoulder is back to normal (strength, endurance, can absorb hits without impacting strength/endurance) then it is in the Packers best interest to make a deal quickly.  

Regarding whether Rodgers is the best: I don't think there's really a question whether he's the best in the game.  He is.  Brady may go down as the greatest, and perhaps he should, but IMO that's not the same thing as best, and certainly doesn't factor into how Brady is playing right now.  

Can't say he's the best in the NFL right now.  Getting older and coming off of a major injury.  He'll have to prove it.  Don't think his contract parameters are going to change much in the next 6 months.  All the big QB deals have been done already.  I'll grant you some of the playoff losses are not his fault.  Atlanta a few years ago was not his fault.  With that defense no QB was going to win that game.  I love Aaron he's my all time favorite Packer player.  This spans over 40 years.  That doesn't matter though.  For the most part I do agree with you Sauce.  I am nervous about shelling out a massive contract with huge guaranteed money without seeing him play at least a few regular season games.

3 hours ago, StinkySauce said:

I have said this before, but the sooner Rodgers gets his contract, the better deal the Packers are going to get.  Whenever this happens, his contract will, at the time of signing, represent the largest, most modern version of an NFL contract in history.  Guaranteed money, opt-out clauses, cap-ties, and termination insurance are all on the table now, and when the next CBA comes out, who knows what contracts will look like.  IMO, once the Packers see that Rodgers shoulder is back to normal (strength, endurance, can absorb hits without impacting strength/endurance) then it is in the Packers best interest to make a deal quickly.  

Regarding whether Rodgers is the best: I don't think there's really a question whether he's the best in the game.  He is.  Brady may go down as the greatest, and perhaps he should, but IMO that's not the same thing as best, and certainly doesn't factor into how Brady is playing right now.  

That's an interesting take that I hadn't thought about.  The CBA is set to expire when AR12's contract is up.  

I think our chances to win a super bowl are at their best with AR12 and I personally think its best to get the contract done sooner than later.  NFL contracts are going to be changing and I don't like our chances of going far in the playoffs with a lame duck QB.  

8 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Can't say he's the best in the NFL right now.  Getting older and coming off of a major injury.  He'll have to prove it.  Don't think his contract parameters are going to change much in the next 6 months.  All the big QB deals have been done already.  I'll grant you some of the playoff losses are not his fault.  Atlanta a few years ago was not his fault.  With that defense no QB was going to win that game.  I love Aaron he's my all time favorite Packer player.  This spans over 40 years.  That doesn't matter though.  For the most part I do agree with you Sauce.  I am nervous about shelling out a massive contract with huge guaranteed money without seeing him play at least a few regular season games.

He has to prove he's healthy, I agree, but the only other players who should be considered in the same breath as Rodgers have the same onus of proof.  Wentz, Watson, Brady, Breeze: injured, or old.  Who else?  Big Ben?  Luck?  Wilson?  IMO, not even close to Rodgers.

Sure, you should be nervous about a big contract, but it's a contract the Packers need, and the sooner Rodgers gets his contract, the more friendly it will be to the team.

Matt Ryan and Jared Goff two guys you forgot that are in my top 5.  Luck who knows what he is with the shoulder.  Brady, Ryan, Rodgers, Goff, Brees are my top 5 guys.  Granted Goff has only performed for one year but believe he'll be a star it's a projection.  Others that could be in there would be Philip Rivers, Cam Newton, Carson Wentz, Stafford, and Roethlisberger.  Top 10 QB's.  Again not sure what Rodgers is right now.  We'll know more once he hits the field.  Luck was left off.  He is an exceptional QB when healthy but who knows how he is going to come back either.  That shoulder was messed up.  Watson is an up and comer too.  Just missed the top 10.  If Rodgers comes back 100% he is certainly in the conversation along with Ryan and Brady as the top guy.  Take your pick they are all exceptional.

I don't mind adding Ryan, Goff, Cam, or even Stafford to the list of quality, promising QBs.  Even Rivers has demonstrated that, with the right tools around him, he has the ability to command a dangerous offense.  If you want to push one or even two of those names into the top five, that works for me.  You can make a list of the top five QBs every year, and some years those names will deserve to be mentioned, maybe even considered for the best or second best in a given year.  Rodgers has had a year or two that were better than others, but even when he wasn't at his best, at the end of those years, everybody knew he was still the best.

I know you're disappointed the Packers haven't won the SB every year.  Me, too.  I understand your frustration.  But don't kid yourself - and don't let a yearning for SBs limit the awesome opportunity you have right now: to watch the most skilled QB (in recent history, if not of all time) play the game in his prime.  Because Rodgers is in his prime, now.  There's a chance last year's injury will continue to affect his game, and if so, that will be a shame.  But if he's healthy, go ahead and feel lucky, and enjoy what you have: Rodgers at his best.

10 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Matt Ryan and Jared Goff two guys you forgot that are in my top 5.  Luck who knows what he is with the shoulder.  Brady, Ryan, Rodgers, Goff, Brees are my top 5 guys.  Granted Goff has only performed for one year but believe he'll be a star it's a projection.  Others that could be in there would be Philip Rivers, Cam Newton, Carson Wentz, Stafford, and Roethlisberger.  Top 10 QB's.  Again not sure what Rodgers is right now.  We'll know more once he hits the field.  Luck was left off.  He is an exceptional QB when healthy but who knows how he is going to come back either.  That shoulder was messed up.  Watson is an up and comer too.  Just missed the top 10.  If Rodgers comes back 100% he is certainly in the conversation along with Ryan and Brady as the top guy.  Take your pick they are all exceptional.

Archived