Aaron Rodgers and new contract

Golfman

3 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Collar bone was to his throwing shoulder this time.  Also the break was far more severe it wasn't a clean break it was shattered.  Hope you guys are right.  I want to see it on the field.   There can be muscle and nerve damage that occurs with such injuries.  Haven't heard anything about his ability to throw the ball in camp other than the rooks picked him off a few times.  We are really not going to know until he gets a few regular season games under his belt.  That is the way I feel about it.  Ryan is the highest paid player in the league currently.  He didn't miss most of last season and isn't coming off of injury.  You guys are all pretty cavalier about the injury. Gotta say.  Before making him the highest  paid guy in the league I'd want to be sure.  Here is a good question.  If you could pick any QB in the league right now not named Aaron Rodgers to be the Packers QB over the next 5 years who would you take?  Ryan? Goff?  Wentz?  Brady won't be in the league and neither will Brees.  

You have pushed this worry about Rodgers performance many times, for months, and on more than one site. As far as I have seen no-one else seems all that worried - no-one.

5 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Collar bone was to his throwing shoulder this time.  Also the break was far more severe it wasn't a clean break it was shattered.  Hope you guys are right.  I want to see it on the field.   There can be muscle and nerve damage that occurs with such injuries.  Haven't heard anything about his ability to throw the ball in camp other than the rooks picked him off a few times.  We are really not going to know until he gets a few regular season games under his belt.  That is the way I feel about it.  Ryan is the highest paid player in the league currently.  He didn't miss most of last season and isn't coming off of injury.  You guys are all pretty cavalier about the injury. Gotta say.  Before making him the highest  paid guy in the league I'd want to be sure.  Here is a good question.  If you could pick any QB in the league right now not named Aaron Rodgers to be the Packers QB over the next 5 years who would you take?  Ryan? Goff?  Wentz?  Brady won't be in the league and neither will Brees.  

I think you are overlooking the obvious.  The Packers have examined him, seen his workouts, and seen him throw the ball.  

They already know.  

We don't know, because we don't have access.

Regarding your last question- I pick Wentz.

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

You have pushed this worry about Rodgers performance many times, for months, and on more than one site. As far as I have seen no-one else seems all that worried - no-one.

Apparently I am alone.  Guess that's a good thing.  Sure hope my fears are unfounded we'll see how he does this season.  This is one case where I don't want to say I told you so.  I'd be much more chill if it wasn't for all this contract talk.  That is what has me nervous.  Hey best case he plays lights out and the Pack sign him to an extension sometime mid season.  I'd be just fine with that.  I will reiterate it's a bad idea to sign Aaron to a massive contract before the season starts.  He wants to be the highest paid guy with special provisions which no other player has then he'll have to earn it on the field.  He is not in the position to command that now coming off of a major injury and missing most of last season.  As far as his price going up I doubt it.  His agent is already playing hardball don't think that is going change.  All the other big dollar QB deals have been done already.

I thought that, physically, Rodgers looked pretty good in the Carolina game. His main problem was that he was trying to do too much, and he forced some throws downfield into coverage. He was a bit rusty and didn't quite have all of his arm strength back, but he was close. And nothing I've read has led me to believe that this injury will cause a permanent decline in his capabilities. So I am assuming he is still near or at the top of his game until I see otherwise. 

Cousins pushed the envelope with a 100% GTD contract.  Ryan moved the needle incrementally after that.  Rodgers will command a premium over Ryan because he is the better player, but has to face a discount given that he is at 2 years left on his deal.

Those are really the only recent factors in the QB/Rodgers market.  Rodgers heading towards FA would command a premium over any QB's deal, and not just an incremental "next guy gets more" premium.  As I posted back a few dozen pages, he's getting 1-2% more than the market rate for QBs as percent of the cap in AAV.  Perhaps that gets knocked down for other factors like the 2 years left, or for special provisions like an opt out after 3 years.  What's so bad about an opt out after 3 years anyway?  just makes his current deal a 5 year deal with a large likelihood that he will opt out and get the market rate again.

Hey 25 mil a year sure no problem.  He'll get a lot more than that.  32 mil/season is what is being tossed around.  If agent insists on an "opt out" I'd let him eat static.  What is the point to signing Rodgers for 3 years and then have to re-negotiate.  We already have him under contract for the next two years and can franchise him after that.  Makes no sense and I hope the Packers don't go for it.

I blame Cowherd (I love his show) for why this is even a topic in a message board. AR has 2 years left on his deal. We can franchise him. He isn’t going anywhere unless we want him out (which if he in theory broke his collarbone again we could consider it). This is just another  “is he staying or going sports talk” filler topic that involves a high profile player. Don’t get suckered into this click bait.

13 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

I blame Cowherd (I love his show) for why this is even a topic in a message board.......

??

It's a topic on a message board because its a matter of ongoing discussion between AR & GBPs - which is why its a topic of discussion on Cowherd's show.

21 hours ago, Joe said:

Can we all just agree that it needs to be done ASAP before the price goes up? I'm more than happy with paying him $25m a year...

I don't agree with that in pure principle.  It's nuanced and you have to weigh it against long term benefits vs short term. 

There's significant risk in committing at a high price tag when you have a 2 year window NOW when his price is cheap.  Roster construction can change drastically in 1 year.  If we have an opportunity to go fully in next year while Rodgers is cheaper than he ever will be, that has to be a consideration

2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

I don't agree with that in pure principle.  It's nuanced and you have to weigh it against long term benefits vs short term. 

There's significant risk in committing at a high price tag when you have a 2 year window NOW when his price is cheap.  Roster construction can change drastically in 1 year.  If we have an opportunity to go fully in next year while Rodgers is cheaper than he ever will be, that has to be a consideration

We could simply let him play his contract out, and then franchise tag him in consecutive years and have gotten a great deal.

6 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

We could simply let him play his contract out, and then franchise tag him in consecutive years and have gotten a great deal.

I think that would be a last resort, and not an appealing option for either side. You don't want to hold your best player (and the face of the franchise) hostage for two years. That's the way it would be perceived. 

6 hours ago, Leader said:

??

It's a topic on a message board because its a matter of ongoing discussion between AR & GBPs - which is why its a topic of discussion on Cowherd's show.

AR has two years on his deal. His deal shouldn’t be anyone’s concern. My argument is if wasn’t for talking heads (who can get ratings by saying Rodgers in a sentence), this topic wouldn’t be on anyone’s radar. 

14 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

AR has two years on his deal. His deal shouldn’t be anyone’s concern. My argument is if wasn’t for talking heads (who can get ratings by saying Rodgers in a sentence), this topic wouldn’t be on anyone’s radar. 

I dont know that anybody's overly concerned about it, but the negotiations between AR & the GBPs are a current matter and not being held in secret. I dont think those talking heads have any sway on the negotiations which will get done between the parties irrespective of public opinion.

Archived