Jump to content

Aaron Rodgers and new contract


Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, SSG said:

Worried far more about the WR core and the garbage heap we've got in our CB room.  We aren't competing for a Super Bowl with either unit staying at status quo.  

Good thing that won't happen. ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SSG said:

It's not Aaron Rodgers job to care about the "chance" signing him gives Green Bay at winning a Super Bowl.  That's Gute and Ball's job.  Teams could give two ****s about the players.  The very second that they think they can save a buck the player is discarded regardless.  I  will not begrudge Rodgers one single bit if he bleeds this franchise of every last cent he can possibly get as he's worth it.  If Green Bay doesn't want to pay his asking price there will be close to a  dozen teams behind him that will.  

The idea that Aaron Rodgers should sacrifice millions for the team is almost laughable as we all just seen how that worked out for Jordy Nelson.  Aaron Rodgers will be dropped like dead weight the very second he isn't living up to his contract so there is absolutely no reason he should be giving Green Bay or any other franchise any sort of discounts.  

Can't really argue with that. But. Green Bay has Rodgers under contract for 2 years and can then franchise him twice. At that point at 38, given his injury history, he may well be done. The only reason for Green Bay to offer him a new contract now is to keep him happy. If he wants to bleed the franchise dry as you put it then we let him play those 4 years out and he is free to sign with whoever he wants.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Can't really argue with that. But. Green Bay has Rodgers under contract for 2 years and can then franchise him twice. At that point at 38, given his injury history, he may well be done. The only reason for Green Bay to offer him a new contract now is to keep him happy. If he wants to bleed the franchise dry as you put it then we let him play those 4 years out and he is free to sign with whoever he wants.

 

Also because he deserves it.  And he’s the best player in the game right now, and the best we can anticipate in the league for many years.  If his game falls off in three years, he’ll still be the best player in the league at the most important position in the league.  If he gets injured, we’ll ....

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, StinkySauce said:

Also because he deserves it.  And he’s the best player in the game right now, and the best we can anticipate in the league for many years.  If his game falls off in three years, he’ll still be the best player in the league at the most important position in the league.  If he gets injured, we’ll ....

How are you so sure he’s the best player in the leaguin 3 years if his game falls off?

these guys sign contracts. If the team doesn’t want to renegotiate to bad. If we redo Rogers contract and next year Wentz gets extended for more money, should we redo Rogers contract? Should the Patriots redo Brady’s contract if Rogers gets more? 

At some point in most every contract, players will be over or underpaid. Teams can cut players who no longer live up and players get big money up front. That’s the trade off. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, StinkySauce said:

Also because he deserves it.  And he’s the best player in the game right now, and the best we can anticipate in the league for many years.  If his game falls off in three years, he’ll still be the best player in the league at the most important position in the league.  If he gets injured, we’ll ....

Agreed. More than happy to give him a new deal because he deserves it. I'm happy to give him a deal that reflects he is arguably the best player in the NFL but also bears in mind he is 34 with an injury history. Happy to pay him what he's worth.

But if he tries to play hard ball with us and bleed is dry - we have the leverage and aren't forced to get something down. If his demands aren't fair then we call off talks , keep him for 4 years and let him walk away.

Re your second point - its very debatable over whether he still is the best QB in the league. He is certainly still elite but his stats have regressed a bit, he wont be as mobile moving forward and the injuries will have an effect - he may well start to pick up more niggles. I would say he is currently 'arguably the best' but if his game falls off then no he wont be the best player in the league anymore and could easily drop to top 10 three years down the line if his game falls off.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not extend Rodgers right now. The only argument for paying him now is getting goodwill since “he deserves more” which we’ve made him the highest paid qb before and paid him like half a season into his first year starting. I’m fine extending him but is it necessary? I’d rather just go through the next 2 years, franchise him a year, then see how the cba ends up (and if he’s still healthy)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I would not extend Rodgers right now. The only argument for paying him now is getting goodwill since “he deserves more” which we’ve made him the highest paid qb before and paid him like half a season into his first year starting. I’m fine extending him but is it necessary? I’d rather just go through the next 2 years, franchise him a year, then see how the cba ends up (and if he’s still healthy)

A general concept toward getting it done sooner rather than later is its probably going to go up over time - although - as I pointed out to much in a different thread, I think next years CAP is projected to go down - so perhaps the up arrow is starting to flatten out a bit.

 

Edited by Leader
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikemike778 said:

Agreed. More than happy to give him a new deal because he deserves it. I'm happy to give him a deal that reflects he is arguably the best player in the NFL but also bears in mind he is 34 with an injury history. Happy to pay him what he's worth.

But if he tries to play hard ball with us and bleed is dry - we have the leverage and aren't forced to get something down. If his demands aren't fair then we call off talks , keep him for 4 years and let him walk away.

Re your second point - its very debatable over whether he still is the best QB in the league. He is certainly still elite but his stats have regressed a bit, he wont be as mobile moving forward and the injuries will have an effect - he may well start to pick up more niggles. I would say he is currently 'arguably the best' but if his game falls off then no he wont be the best player in the league anymore and could easily drop to top 10 three years down the line if his game falls off.

If he tries to play hard ball he'll be cutting off his nose despite his face.  Even he can't do it alone and we can't surround him with good players if he takes too much of the cap.

Link to post
Share on other sites

See a lot of Aaron is the best QB in the league talk.  How can you be so sure?  I am not.  Granted he came back early from the collarbone but he sure wasn't himself.  Had a terrible game.  Missed most of last season.  So he's 34 coming off of 2 broken collarbone injuries and a reoccurring calf.  He's got one ring one.  Let's just give him a new contract and make him the highest paid player in the NFL so we can all feel good right?  Step back and take off your Green and Gold glasses and think about it.  

Now would be the absolute worst time to redo his deal.  First have to see if he comes back the same player.  Everyone just assumes this and I believe wrongly.  I want to see it on the field.  Second Cousin's deal is absolutely ridiculous.   Base his contract off of that?  Ok what do you pay him?  Well have to guarantee him more than 84 million for starters.  OK so we do the deal and Aaron either doesn't come back from the injury or suffers a career threatening injury next year.  Then what?  

The team is more important than any player no matter how good they are.  Job 1 is to protect the franchise.  Not to protect Aaron or his agents ego.  Aaron and his agent want to work something out that is good for both sides a team friendly deal ok all for it.  Otherwise forget it. He is under contract for another 2 years.  

Brady took a lot less so NE could build a team around him.  He has 5 rings.  Does Aaron want to do this or handicap the team financially?  Can't have it both ways.  Some of you guys just want to fork over a ton of money.  Ok so forget about FA.  Also forget about retaining our star players.  And if he gets seriously injured forget about the Packers being relevant for a long time to come. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Pugger said:

If he tries to play hard ball he'll be cutting off his nose despite his face.  Even he can't do it alone and we can't surround him with good players if he takes too much of the cap.

This is true - and conceptually - and also in accordance with ARs own words about "building a championship defense" - a stat from last year was the GBPs as an organization has the 2nd most % of the CAP to the WR group (between 27=28). I'm not sure how thats changed with Adams reup and Nelson being let go - but obviously the team was trying to keep this position group viable for him (talent evaluations and play selections are a different matter) - so for GB to build a championship defense....the money's gotta come from somewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt Aaron is gonna play hard ball.  I won't have a problem if we sweeten his contract now.  I still think AR is the best in the business and I doubt that broken collarbone is going to affect his play going forward.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The longer we wait to extend him, the more he's going to make.  Matt Ryan's extension is coming next and you can guarantee he's going to be making more than Kirk Cousins.  Extending Rodgers now isn't just good for the player as its good for the team.  

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SSG said:

The longer we wait to extend him, the more he's going to make.  Matt Ryan's extension is coming next and you can guarantee he's going to be making more than Kirk Cousins.  Extending Rodgers now isn't just good for the player as its good for the team.  

 

Except Rodgers is likely waiting for those other QB'S to sign their extensions first.  Always takes 2 to get the deal done.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm open to either extending OR trading him.  You have pluses and minuses for both cases.

If you elect to extend Rodgers:

1.  How much does he want per year and how does he want it structured.  My guess is he now wants a 6 year deal with at least the first 4 years totally guaranteed.  Maybe the whole thing guaranteed.  Cousins has set the new bar for quarterbacks in terms of guaranteed contracts.

2.  Contract will probably average $32-33 million per year.  I don't see any hometown discount coming from Rodgers.

3.  How much of this is going to be a signing bonus.  My guess is approximately a third to a half of the contract.

Some considerations if you extend.

1.  How close is GB to being a Super Bowl team in terms of talent?  My guess is we are not there this year....nor will we be there next year.  We have so many holes to fill in terms of talent deficiency compared to some of the other elite teams.  Either way, your into year 3 of that new contract before you have a chance.

2.  Does Rodgers new contract limit your ability to improve your team?  This totally depends somewhat on how much he wants and how it is structured.

3.  How much longer can Rodgers physically play at a high level.  He depends heavily on his legs to escape the initial pressure.  Once that starts to diminish how much of his game diminishes with it?  How is his arm going to be after breaking his collar bone again.  Will it return to the same strength and will he retain his accuracy?  I think these are all questions you must consider.  If you think his legs are really important to his game he might be elite for 3 more years....maybe less.  

4.  When you look at the above considerations of our window opening in 3 years and his level of play going down in 3 years, you might hesitate before giving him a new contract.

5.  The CBA agreement expires in 2021.  If there is a strike which I believe there will be you may lose a full year and he is only getting older.

Considerations toward trading him:

1.  What is his value and can we get FULL value.  I've stated previously that Cleveland with their 2 first rounders (both very high picks in that round), plus their 2 second rounders (both high second rounders), plus two players (Garrett and their WR) would in my opinion be FULL value.  If we achieved this value, we could go a long way to drafting players that COULD potentially restock the talent on this team.  With this haul we would have 3 first rounders and 3 second rounders...all in the top 45 picks.

2.  We would gain a ton of cap space.  Trading Rodgers costs us absolutely nothing in terms of dead money or cap hit.  So this is your window to trade him.  The cap savings alone would go a ways toward getting other players next year in free agency and continuing to rebuild the team.

IF, you have confidence in your front office to pull this off, you may be in a position to content for the Super Bowl again in 3 years.  Only this time with a much younger, much more talented overall team.  If Rodgers is going to want FULL VALUE, which I totally support him wanting, we should really consider this option.  Rodgers needs to take care of himself from a business point of view, the front office should be mindful of whats best for the team.  Yes, the average fan would vilify Gute, the same they did Thompson when he traded Brett, but you got to do tough things sometimes that get you where you want to be which is WINNING the Super Bowl.

This is what a front office gets paid the big bucks for.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...