Aaron Rodgers and new contract

Golfman

Just now, Pugger said:

I don't understand this thinking either.  Sure, if we decide to trade him for a boat load of picks what guarantee do we have that we'll be able to find another QB of his caliber?  He is a once in a generational talent.  Only one other team has had back to back HOF QBs in the history of this league so the chances we'll get lucky again aren't great.  We had 25 years watching mostly crappy QB play (other than probably Dickey) before Wolf got Favre.  I'm in no hurry to suffer thru that again.  Gutey would be a damn fool to even entertain this nonsensical idea.

That's it.  There is no guarantee when talking about picks.  You are talking about less than a coin flip player (works out less than 50% of the time).  He could be a Carson Wentz or Matt Ryan or Matthew Stafford or Cam Newton caliber of player but the chances are much better that he's  a Robert Griffin III or a Ryan Tannihill or a Mark Sanchez or a Sam Bradford or a Jake Locker or a Blaine Gabbert  or a Blake Bortles caliber of QB.  Just looking in the last 10 years in the top 10 picks (supposed to be sure things, right?) there are far more busts than success stories. 

37 minutes ago, SSG said:

I think its unrealistic to believe that AR12 is going to go from elite to bad overnight.  I'd much rather have an AR12 with slightly diminished skills for a couple years than give up an elite QB too early with no back up plan.  Elite QBs don't fall off trees and the chances of adequately replacing him quickly is substantially smaller than taking some time and having to rebuild the team.  Front offices don't' generally get over striking out at QB so you could be talking about having to replace the whole coaching staff and front office if they don't get it right.  I'd much prefer to put my money on the more sure thing and I'd rather bet on Aaron Rodgers than against.  JMO

I personally can't think of a QB who's went from Elite too terrible overnight.  Nor can I think of a team who was hamstrung with said player with a bad contrct for an extended period of time.  I don't see the Tony Romo comparison as the comparison blatantly ignores the fact that Romo played just 3 full seasons in his entire NFL career.  While AR12 has had 2 broken collar bones, he's missed only one game (concussion) in his career outside those two freak breaks.  Since he's been in the league, he's missed one more game to injury than Tom Brady and he's not getting the injury prone label some are trying to stick on AR12.

People are talking about treating AR12 like Washington treated Kirk Cousins.  I do think its an apples to apples comparison as that is the realistic caliber of replacement we could expect.  Whether the QB is elite or mediocre, its still a massive contract with major negative implications if it doesn't work out.

Both Favre and Manning went from over 66% completion rate to under 61%. They also went from over a 2.5-1 TD rate to around a 1-1.5. That is falling off a cliff (Peyton had an elite D and won a SB, that didn't make him good).

AR is elite now. It is more likely than not he won't be in 4.

35 minutes ago, SSG said:

That's it.  There is no guarantee when talking about picks.  You are talking about less than a coin flip player (works out less than 50% of the time).  He could be a Carson Wentz or Matt Ryan or Matthew Stafford or Cam Newton caliber of player but the chances are much better that he's  a Robert Griffin III or a Ryan Tannihill or a Mark Sanchez or a Sam Bradford or a Jake Locker or a Blaine Gabbert  or a Blake Bortles caliber of QB.  Just looking in the last 10 years in the top 10 picks (supposed to be sure things, right?) there are far more busts than success stories. 

Stay away from QB's with B's or L's in their name, take one's With M's or W's. Got it.

4 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

Both Favre and Manning went from over 66% completion rate to under 61%. They also went from over a 2.5-1 TD rate to around a 1-1.5. That is falling off a cliff (Peyton had an elite D and won a SB, that didn't make him good).

AR is elite now. It is more likely than not he won't be in 4.

Favre had one of the 5 best seasons of his career at the age of 40.

Manning did fall off in his last year but he also had no feeling in his finger tips after the neck fusion surgery that he had to repair his broken neck.  So if Aaron Rodgers is planning a neck fusion yes it may be time to move on.  

Tom Brady and Drew Brees are 2 of the NFL's best QBs currently and their 40 and 39.  I'm not worried about Rodgers game dropping off a cliff at the age of 38.  If it does, we'll be starting the complete rebuild a year or 2 later than we would have anyway.  The chances of us replacing Rodgers with another pro bowl caliber QB is extremely slim IMO.  

The way Rodgers protects the ball, falling off a cliff might be going from 40/7 to 30/12 TD/INT ratio.

GET YOUR PITCHFORKS OUT!

Seriously, if we have a running game (and we have 2 young RBs) we won’t see a “drop off”. 

For the love of God let’s enjoy another half decade of perennial playoff births before we get crazy and start looking at new QBs.

On 3/18/2018 at 5:46 PM, MantyWrestler said:

That depends on the structure of the contract and for however many years. There’s talk he wants north of 30 mil per. Question is for how many years, 2 year extension or more?

I think we can expect most of it to be guaranteed.  The amount of years might not matter all that much to Rodgers, in terms of how much he receives.

7 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

Wouldn't guys do Arod foe the 1,4,33 and Myles Garrett?

Would be harder to do now that most of FA is past and clearing $20M in cap space does little with most of the higher end FA signed with other teams.   That cap space would likely go unused in 2018 and lessens the return from an opportunity to add talent with the additional space available.  

5 hours ago, StinkySauce said:

No.  Crikey . . . You guys don’t really imagine winning another SB in the next decade if you trade off Rodgers, do you?

More teams have won a Super Bowl without Rodgers than with him over the last decade, so I don't know why the next decade would be any different. 

Archived