If we can't land Cousins or any good FAs....

duke2056

Someone elsewhere mentioned an idea that seemed intriguing if we are not able to land Cousins or really any of the high priced free agents.  Basically trading cap space for picks.

Essentially we sign and trade Cousins to Denver for the #5 pick where we absorb the brunt of the entire signing bonus.  As I said, basically trading cap space for a pick.  

Is it even allowed?  Who knows.  I think the NFL should just allow teams to be able to straight up trade cap space for picks.

I think Denver would be very intrigued by something like that where they trade the #5 pick to get Cousins on what would be a pretty decent deal for them, assuming he signed for more than the 3 years being reported that he is looking for.  

I don't know, just figured this idea could get some interesting discussion on what people think about it (if it is even allowed)

22 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

I don't think that kind of thing is likely to happen. Just to be clear we have no shot at Cousins. We're going to end up with BRADFORD or McCarron. 

The fact that we have no shot at Cousins is irrelevant.  It would be a sign and trade.  If COusins wants to play for Denver his contract would prohibit that unless they got rid of some important players.  ORRRR if they did a sign and trade where we absorb cap, get a pick, and they get Cousins. 

25 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

Someone elsewhere mentioned an idea that seemed intriguing if we are not able to land Cousins or really any of the high priced free agents.  Basically trading cap space for picks.

Essentially we sign and trade Cousins to Denver for the #5 pick where we absorb the brunt of the entire signing bonus.  As I said, basically trading cap space for a pick.  

Is it even allowed?  Who knows.  I think the NFL should just allow teams to be able to straight up trade cap space for picks.

I think Denver would be very intrigued by something like that where they trade the #5 pick to get Cousins on what would be a pretty decent deal for them, assuming he signed for more than the 3 years being reported that he is looking for.  

I don't know, just figured this idea could get some interesting discussion on what people think about it (if it is even allowed)

Lol if we were going to be this forward thinking we wouldn’t have fired Sashi.

You can definitely use cap space for acquiring assets, Sashi did it with Osweiler, but I doubt Dorsey will.  The NFL is a decade behind other sports as far as cap management, franchise building and analytics.  Or so it seems some times, maybe I’m wrong.

Just now, Aztec Hammer said:

That's some Sashiesque analytics right there.

Really it would just be trying to make the best of a bad situation.  If none of the good FAs want to come here, this might be a way to build up the team using cap space in a different way.

10 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I'm sure if a couple rum dum posters on this site thought of it, and it's allowed????  Then the "football guys" have too.  No need to be analytic king Sashi to do something like this.

Other than the Brock deal last year, when have you ever seen a "salary for pick" type of deal?

22 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

Other than the Brock deal last year, when have you ever seen a "salary for pick" type of deal?

Nope.

It was one thing that soured the fraternity against Sashi.

"Well, none of us has ever done anything like that before. It can't be good."

3 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Nope.

It was one thing that soured the fraternity against Sashi.

"Well, none of us has ever done anything like that before. It can't be good."

Probably because the "football guys" are actually trying to spend money on FA's to improve their team.  King Sashi was good at hoarding the cap space....like he would get a bonus for having the most in the league.

Archived