Raiders linebacker Aldon Smith reportedly involved in domestic incident

TecmoSuperJoe

3 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Why can't he check himself into rehab and stay there?

That's a big first step for someone, to be completely honest. That's admitting there's a problem to begin with, which many people in this situation don't necessarily believe.

7 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

The NFL shuns away guys like this when they need all the help, support and camaraderie they can get. 

I'm not sure about places you've worked, but I'd bet my paycheck the NFL provides their employees (especially their athletes) a great deal more support to get through things like substance abuse than any job I've held.

There's only so long you can try leading a horse to water before you have to give up.

On 3/4/2018 at 1:25 PM, Forge said:

Too early to throw in the towel on Foster just yet, though his actions haven't exactly led to a lot of confidence that he'll get it together. They've drafted three linebackers with these kind of issues, and they are 1-1 (Bowman and Smith). Foster is the rubber match (and at least they got two years of really good production from Aldon before he fell apart mentally) 

I don't recall there being any character concerns about Aldon at the time he was drafted. Didn't his lunacy manifest only at the pro level after he started drinking? At any rate, the current FO only has to answer for Reuben, which is bad enough.

16 hours ago, eagles101 said:

A kid and an adult professional athlete are two different things. .2 definitely drunk but its not definitely not alcohol poisoning. Especially under .2 

.4 is a death drunk. Dudes a mess. Definitely threw away the nfls super soft attitude towards him.  

Shows he's been doing this for quite some time.

On 4/12/2018 at 8:25 AM, EliteTexan80 said:

That's a big first step for someone, to be completely honest. That's admitting there's a problem to begin with, which many people in this situation don't necessarily believe.

And sometimes temptation is too strong or they think they've conquered it and can handle it in moderation or any other myriad of reasons. Lots of people need rehab more than once and be willing to admit "I can get no lower, i need to do this or I will die".

A lot of people can't get to that point, sadly. I genuinely hope he gets sober and gets the help he clearly clearly needs, but this HAS to be the wake-up call or he is going to die.

Archived