Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
soflbillsfan

Bills Draft Prospect meetings

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Yibbyl said:

Your post reminded me of Bill Walsh's QB evaluation criteria. My concern with Allen is that even if you believe you can fix the mechanics, after so many years doing the same thing, when in a tense in-game situation, his muscle memory will kick in and he will throw with an open torso yielding a very inaccurate ball. In short, I think he is too risky to bank on as a franchise guy.

http://www.sportsxchange.com/DS97/walsh/walsh2qb.htm

One of the reasons I like Rosen has to do with his comeback vs. Texas A&M. Having the 28-point 4th quarter comeback was already more than what Tyrod ever did. Mayfield and Darnold can make similar claims of leading comebacks. Some made a name for themselves even before last year, showing they have demonstrated that trait on a more consistent basis. 

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000665682

I agree with you. Especially with how snake bitten we've been at finding a franchise QB and actually developing QB's. I know this is a new regime, but the stigma is still there. I would rather make a safer pick with the other top QB"s in the draft that are more polished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Billsfaninptown said:

I agree with you. Especially with how snake bitten we've been at finding a franchise QB and actually developing QB's. I know this is a new regime, but the stigma is still there. I would rather make a safer pick with the other top QB"s in the draft that are more polished.

Problem is bills have only drafted 3 qbs in the first rd Jim Kelly, JP Losman, and EJ Manuel. The last 10 years I believe they have only drafted 5 qbs, 1 in the 1st Ej, 1 in the 3rd Trent Edwards the rest were day 3 picks. So when the bills bring in guys through the draft they are vastly inferior then what a top QB is suppose to be most are projects just to play back up let alone starter material. I cant say that the bills were bad at developing a qb as they havent really taken much shots at this position during the draft.

With that said I am a diehard FSU fan, liked the EJ pick at the time as I thought he would be developed in to what he should have been in college but it was the same old thing timid and had to much touch to his balls leaving them for the taking and sure enough thats what happened. So by seeing this for 5-6 years at the college and pro level I think most things dont change on qb mechanics to where they vastly improve during game time decisions. For Allen yes repeating steps over and over again may help him out in situations like pro day or combine but thats without pads and without 4-5 guys coming at him to where hes got to make a split second decision. Is he going to use what he learned in a short period of time with a qb coach tweaking his mechanics mid game or is he going to go back to what he grew up on and is comfortable with? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be the Billsiest thing ever to not learn a single lesson from the drought and draft a toolsy project QB who will almost assuredly be a buust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

It would be the Billsiest thing ever to not learn a single lesson from the drought and draft a toolsy project QB who will almost assuredly be a buust.

Nah the Billsiest thing to do would be trade up to number 2 and take Barkley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

Your post reminded me of Bill Walsh's QB evaluation criteria. My concern with Allen is that even if you believe you can fix the mechanics, after so many years doing the same thing, when in a tense in-game situation, his muscle memory will kick in and he will throw with an open torso yielding a very inaccurate ball. In short, I think he is too risky to bank on as a franchise guy.

http://www.sportsxchange.com/DS97/walsh/walsh2qb.htm

One of the reasons I like Rosen has to do with his comeback vs. Texas A&M. Having the 28-point 4th quarter comeback was already more than what Tyrod ever did. Mayfield and Darnold can make similar claims of leading comebacks. Some made a name for themselves even before last year, showing they have demonstrated that trait on a more consistent basis. 

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000665682

Mayock said something quite similar about doing it in scripted drills versus doing it at full speed and processing multiple things. 

One of my favorite things about Rosen is that he has been the "franchise" guy at UCLA since day one and dealt with it very well. He's already had all kinds of hopes and responsibilities laid on him and he's dragged a bad UCLA team along with very little help. That speaks volumes to me personally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2018 at 12:09 PM, marshawn lynch said:

He just seems to be a Rob Johnson type. He will impress you with his arm in drills and in practices but when the game starts it's just not there.

Allen has no anticipation... Same issue as Tyrod they are totally different players (one has a monster arm and the other protects the football and scrambles) but they have the same issue.

I just don't see it at all... Teams fall in love with his arm if he wants any chance at success he will have to sit a few years like Rodgers did.

According to several sources including Bill Pollean only Stafford had a sub 60% passing rating in college and was successful in the NFL. We really want to blame 3 years of games at sub 60% on dropped passes. This applies to both Allan and Jackson. So we want to give up 3 first rounders on a kid that history indicates will be a failure?

Peace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

Mayock said something quite similar about doing it in scripted drills versus doing it at full speed and processing multiple things. 

One of my favorite things about Rosen is that he has been the "franchise" guy at UCLA since day one and dealt with it very well. He's already had all kinds of hopes and responsibilities laid on him and he's dragged a bad UCLA team along with very little help. That speaks volumes to me personally. 

Not to mention playing through injuries and then having his ex HC speak out against him twice. I honestly believe one of Rosen or Mayfield will be there in the 6 to 9 range. That`s where we`ll go get them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Not to mention playing through injuries and then having his ex HC speak out against him twice. I honestly believe one of Rosen or Mayfield will be there in the 6 to 9 range. That`s where we`ll go get them.

His HC speaking out against him is to get his 5 minutes of fame now that he has no job. He failed miserably at UCLA even with a top tier prospect in Rosen and a cupcake conference where defense does not exist.

Edited by soflbillsfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bills brass Coaches and Scouts are going to California to have a private workout with Darnold......More and more this stuff is being discussed on qbs the more they are showing interest in pick 1 or 2..They wouldnt waste time meeting with Darnold if they werent trying to make the move up. Im not buying this possibility of staying at 12 in any way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Bills brass Coaches and Scouts are going to California to have a private workout with Darnold......More and more this stuff is being discussed on qbs the more they are showing interest in pick 1 or 2..They wouldnt waste time meeting with Darnold if they werent trying to make the move up. Im not buying this possibility of staying at 12 in any way.

I'm inclined to agree. I'd be absolutely stunned if we stay at 12. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2018 at 7:15 PM, LeeEvans said:

Mayock said something quite similar about doing it in scripted drills versus doing it at full speed and processing multiple things. 

One of my favorite things about Rosen is that he has been the "franchise" guy at UCLA since day one and dealt with it very well. He's already had all kinds of hopes and responsibilities laid on him and he's dragged a bad UCLA team along with very little help. That speaks volumes to me personally. 

I like everything about Rosen except one important item, he is immobile in the pocket and has already had 2 concussions and shoulder ligament problems. For me, that puts him in the scary range and he is often compared to Sam Bradford and we all know what his career turned into!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

I'm inclined to agree. I'd be absolutely stunned if we stay at 12. 

Problem is, you need a willing trading partner to move up and both the Giants at #2 and Cleveland at #4 may have other ideas about what they want to do. 

The Giants may just draft a QB themselves or possibly Barkley or they could be waiting till draft day to get the asking price up as the pressure of time creates a strong bidding war.

Cleveland may have its sights set on Barkley and may choose to trade with Denver where they can still draft the player of their chose after Denver drasfts the next QB available.

In both cases, we can easily be left holding an empty bag, just a thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Problem is, you need a willing trading partner to move up and both the Giants at #2 and Cleveland at #4 may have other ideas about what they want to do. 

The Giants may just draft a QB themselves or possibly Barkley or they could be waiting till draft day to get the asking price up as the pressure of time creates a strong bidding war.

Cleveland may have its sights set on Barkley and may choose to trade with Denver where they can still draft the player of their chose after Denver drasfts the next QB available.

In both cases, we can easily be left holding an empty bag, just a thought.

It is certainly possible and if that happens we've bungled this whole off season in my opinion. We would have traded away a proven somewhat capable starting option and replaced him with a completely unproven career backup and then some leftovers in the draft. 

I'm definitely not making any judgements until the dust settles but I'd be very unhappy if it shakes out way. Thankfully, I think teams will find it hard to turn down three first rounders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeeEvans said:

It is certainly possible and if that happens we've bungled this whole off season in my opinion. We would have traded away a proven somewhat capable starting option and replaced him with a completely unproven career backup and then some leftovers in the draft. 

I'm definitely not making any judgements until the dust settles but I'd be very unhappy if it shakes out way. Thankfully, I think teams will find it hard to turn down three first rounders. 

Something has to be in place, where an offer is out there and the bills are debating on whether to do it or not based on what they see in these QBs. I just dont believe that they are reviewing the top 3 QBs so much knowing they will likely be off the board come pick 4. They would be focusing on what they can get at 12 and 22 but there is a little of over 2 weeks left and rosen, mayfield, and darnold are having meetings with bills brass this week. Why waste the precious time you have left on guys they know they wouldnt get unless some offer is on the table to move up? Some people think if the bills wanted a qb they would have made a trade already but the evaluation process is still being done and if they jump on a deal where that one player may not be there then they screwed themselves. If the bills are comfortable with both Rosen and Mayfield and giants have something offered to them where the bills may overpay they may have to pull the trigger if they truly love both of them knowing atleast one would fall. They may love one of those 2 and browns have an offer on the table for pick 4 and bills want to see how 1-3 fall before accepting the trade. Either way a trade will eventually happen its just a matter of when and for who.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Something has to be in place, where an offer is out there and the bills are debating on whether to do it or not based on what they see in these QBs. I just dont believe that they are reviewing the top 3 QBs so much knowing they will likely be off the board come pick 4. They would be focusing on what they can get at 12 and 22 but there is a little of over 2 weeks left and rosen, mayfield, and darnold are having meetings with bills brass this week. Why waste the precious time you have left on guys they know they wouldnt get unless some offer is on the table to move up? Some people think if the bills wanted a qb they would have made a trade already but the evaluation process is still being done and if they jump on a deal where that one player may not be there then they screwed themselves. If the bills are comfortable with both Rosen and Mayfield and giants have something offered to them where the bills may overpay they may have to pull the trigger if they truly love both of them knowing atleast one would fall. They may love one of those 2 and browns have an offer on the table for pick 4 and bills want to see how 1-3 fall before accepting the trade. Either way a trade will eventually happen its just a matter of when and for who.

I agree but you just never know with the draft I suppose. I'm not really worried, just saying I would be very angry if it played out staying at 12. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×