Packers 1st round pick

Golfman

I'm hoping one of the top defenders falls to us, but the likely scenario is that the top 6 guys: Chubb, Fitzpatrick, James, Smith, Edmunds and Davenport are going to be gone. I any of those six were there I'd pull the trigger in a second and stay at 14. If they are all gone, I think we trade down. 

Anybody I'm missing? I don't see us taking an offensive player in round 1. 

I think the two that I would still be happy with are Landry and Ward. Ward had great play however size was a concern and combine showed that he is above the threshold. Landry showed the burst & flexibility to be a great pass rusher. After that I believe the talent drops. 

This is going to be an interesting draft for the team. Will Gutekunst go for "BPA" regardless of position? OK, not QB, but if a really good TE or tackle would be available, would they pull the trigger? After all, TT shocked the world when he picked Rodgers with his first pick in his first draft. So, if the initial reaction to a choice is negative, give it time. We all might be pleasantly surprised. 

7 minutes ago, ricky said:

This is going to be an interesting draft for the team. Will Gutekunst go for "BPA" regardless of position? OK, not QB, but if a really good TE or tackle would be available, would they pull the trigger? After all, TT shocked the world when he picked Rodgers with his first pick in his first draft. So, if the initial reaction to a choice is negative, give it time. We all might be pleasantly surprised. 

BPA + Need. Think people forget we can combine them ;)

You're looking for a difference maker, which for this team could be any position except QB, RB, OL, or DL. So I guess that leaves (in order of need) pass rusher, CB, ILB,, WR, TE, and safety. Obviously that's simplified and is subject to debate. I suppose OT is possible, although that would be a letdown. With the lack of highly regarded pass rushers after Chubb, I agree that a trade down is quite possible, especially if a QB is sitting there at #14 and somebody wants him. I do think an offensive player is possible in the first round because the WR and TE talent on this team is thin right now. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

All the pass rushers who exceeded expectations along with all the defensive backs out there makes me want to trade the rest of our draft for 15th overall so we can get two of them. 

This would streamline the contract / CAP situation. Time comes you 5th year one guy - extend the other - and use the balance to buy some more real estate.

No! - you use the balance to - well, whatever you decide to do with it, there'll be plenty of it.

10 hours ago, Greg C. said:

You're looking for a difference maker, which for this team could be any position except QB, RB, OL, or DL. So I guess that leaves (in order of need) pass rusher, CB, ILB,, WR, TE, and safety. Obviously that's simplified and is subject to debate. I suppose OT is possible, although that would be a letdown. With the lack of highly regarded pass rushers after Chubb, I agree that a trade down is quite possible, especially if a QB is sitting there at #14 and somebody wants him. I do think an offensive player is possible in the first round because the WR and TE talent on this team is thin right now. 

ILB as the second greatest need ? I don't think so. The Packers have invested a 4th, 4th again, and 2nd round pick (that's how I see J.jones being used) in the last three drafts. I'd go with something more like pass rusher, then some combination of TE, CB, WR. I'd like a mid rounder spent on a lineman and a mid/late pick on a QB and a developmental S. Drafting an ILB is bumping bottom along with DL and punter. That's not to say the Packers won't get a developmental pick at ILB, just not an early one.

Just now, BrettFavre004 said:

I like Josh Jackson and Christian Kirk too.

hoping we do enough if FA at edge and cb so we don’t force our hand in the draft. 

Very much agree.  FA will be a big indicator of how the draft pick at 14 likely plays out.  

I think it will be easier to add a CB or 2 in FA vs adding an EDGE.  

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Very much agree.  FA will be a big indicator of how the draft pick at 14 likely plays out.  

I think it will be easier to add a CB or 2 in FA vs adding an EDGE.  

Yes, and we need help and long term help at edge, more appropriate for draft and immediate help at CB, more appropriate for FA.  Lot of good CB options in FA, not so much edge, but would still like a replacement for what Ahmad Brooks was supposed to be and top 40 edge player if possible in draft. 

Archived