Worst coaching hire the last 20 years?

thebestever6

This is simple I want the worst coaching hire the last 20 years in the nfl in general. Obviously a gm and coach has a better chance to be hire up.

Some candidates. 

1) Josh Mcdaniels- did his best to destroy a beloved franchise.

2) Steve Spurrier- guy was a terrible nfl coach/ gm. He had Danny Wuerfell as his qb.

3) chip Kelly- see Josh Mcdaniels.

4) Marvin Lewis- whats it been 16 years no results. 

5) Bobby Pertrino- walked out on his team.

6) Jeff Fisher- ruins qb.

Marvin Lewis despite his shortcomings has way more good for the Bengals than bad.

Chip Kelly wasn't a terrible hire, the fact he was given personnel control was a terrible decision though.

Josh McDaniels is a terrible HC but great pawn, he destroyed the broncos for a number of years and screwed over the colts all for Bellicheck.

Agree with @OleXmad that you can't put Kelly on that list for coaching purposes. Nothing was wrong with him as a coach in my opinion. He did a fine job for the Eagles, with two 10-6 seasons before being given personnel control and the bottom falling out. The error here was letting him win whatever power struggle there was and giving him personnel control, not hiring him to be the coach. 

And Marvin Lewis certainly shouldn't be up there. He's a bit of a joke now, but he made the Bengals relevant again and they put up their best seasons since the 80's with him. This would be like saying Andy Reid to the eagles was a bad hire. 

I'd like to add more candidates 

Mike Ditka (Technically speaking anyhow given the time frame of 20 years)

Mike SIngletary (Mr. it was easier being a tough bully on the field in the 70's than it was being a coach in the 2000's wasn't it?)

Marc Trestman (All suit - no balls)

JDR (I don't care about last years anomaly(Coach of the year my ***). The guy has been terrible his entire career.)

Lane Kiffen(For some reason when I think of him, I think of Saben for some reason) 

Dennis Green(Mr "we let 'em off the hook"(RIP)

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Agree with @OleXmad that you can't put Kelly on that list for coaching purposes. Nothing was wrong with him as a coach in my opinion. He did a fine job for the Eagles, with two 10-6 seasons before being given personnel control and the bottom falling out. The error here was letting him win whatever power struggle there was and giving him personnel control, not hiring him to be the coach. 

And Marvin Lewis certainly shouldn't be up there. He's a bit of a joke now, but he made the Bengals relevant again and they put up their best seasons since the 80's with him. This would be like saying Andy Reid to the eagles was a bad hire. 

I strongly disagree with Lewis AND your comparison to Andy Reid.

Lewis' record may be better than the past(which isn't saying much) but think about how much better it could have been if he wasn't so lenient on players and running an insane asylum, year after year. Between this factor and his questionable at best play-calling (especially in the playoffs) and constant lack of adjustments against the Ravens, and especially the Steelers, have cost that team ALOT more over the years. That's not even counting the whole Carson Palmer and CHad Johnson debacle.  

The fact that this man was not fired 10 years ago.....I am seriously convinced that he must have some excruciating evidence against someone in that front office to hold a job this long given his track record. 

Mike Singletary and Mike Ditka. Two guys that seemed cut from the same cloth. Two guys that favored the old style of screaming at players, and thinking that is what it took to coach a football team. Terrible hires. 

Singletary in particular as so hard to deal with as a 49ers fan. Maybe he's tied with Tomsula, who just seemed completely incompetent. However, Singletary went out of his way to look like a complete A hole on live television. I still remember the awkward interview he did with Dennis O'Donnell of KPIX channel 5, and then later on screaming at Troy Smith (who screamed right back at him "I'M NOT PERFECT!!!") on the bench in St. Louis. Singletary was a clown. As assistant head coach of the 49ers at the time he didn't think much of Patrick Willis after a Senior Bowl workout for some reason, and subsequently wouldn't have drafted him (thank goodness he wasn't coach then). When he was head coach, he decided not to consider drafting Matt Stafford because he refused to discuss his parents divorce with a team psychologist. Singletary is the same guy that once literally displayed his arse to his team during a halftime game to "inspire" them. Guy was a loon. 

Bobby Petrino and Hue Jackson also pop into my head. 

2 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I strongly disagree with Lewis AND your comparison to Andy Reid.

Lewis' record may be better than the past(which isn't saying much) but think about how much better it could have been if he wasn't so lenient on players and running an insane asylum, year after year. Between this factor and his questionable at best play-calling (especially in the playoffs) and constant lack of adjustments against the Ravens, and especially the Steelers, have cost that team ALOT more over the years. That's not even counting the whole Carson Palmer and CHad Johnson debacle.  

The fact that this man was not fired 10 years ago.....I am seriously convinced that he must have some excruciating evidence against someone in that front office to hold a job this long given his track record.

I don't even particularly like Lewis...but none of what you said makes him one of the worst hires of the past 20 years.

There's probably 5 Browns coaches alone that belong on this list before Lewis.  Heck, you could list Hue Jackson twice before Lewis.

I get the hate on Lewis, but this is taking it too far.

Some that stand out to me:

Bobby Petrino (Falcons)

Mike Pettine (Browns)

Nick Saban (Dolphins)

Eric Mangini (Browns)

Hue Jackson (Browns) - I like Hue, but 1-31 gets you on this list.  His Oakland career arc almost puts him on this list too.

Lane Kiffin (Raiders)

Rod Marinelli (Lions) - 0-16

Marty Moringwhig (Lions) - maybe these last two were because of Matt Millen, who knows

Mike Singultary (49ers)

Romeo Crennel (Browns)

Steve Spurrier (Redskins)

Archived