Worst coaching hire the last 20 years?

thebestever6

51 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Only Redskins coach since Joe Gibbs 1.0 to get the Skins to the playoffs more than once.

Having lived in the RVA area my whole life i have an unnatural hatred towards the Skins mostly because of my friends lol. He wasnt that bad but i was tired of hearing all the SB talk

Hindsight is 20/20.

Its easy to point out the failures after theyve already happened.

It'd be more interesting to discuss who we didnt feel would be good coaches BEFORE they proved they were bad.   Some people lie and just say they called every coach that ever failed....but lets be real about it....

In the time Ive been a diehard football fan (since 2005 or so), the most notable failures I called before they happened were Bobby Petrino and Jim Zorn.    I also wasnt a fan of guys like Josh McDaniels, Todd Haley or Hue Jackson....but didnt outright say they would fail.

And just so it doesnt seem like I am tooting my horn, I also didnt think Pete Carrol or Jason Garrett would  be good NFL head coaches (although Garrett hasnt exactly proved me 100% wrong....but I do wonder how he would be without Jerruh).  

8 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

This is simple I want the worst coaching hire the last 20 years in the nfl in general. Obviously a gm and coach has a better chance to be hire up.

4) Marvin Lewis- whats it been 16 years no results.

6) Jeff Fisher- ruins qb.

Seriously? 

Im not a fan of Marvin Lewis and never have been, but thats kind of ridiculous to call him one of the worst coaching hires of the last 20 years.    It's been a pretty stupid decision to stick with him as long as they have, but while he isnt a good coach,  he isnt terrible either.    Just laughably mediocre.....although I think he is one of the better talent evaluators in the league (which is why I think he would have more success as a GM, or at least a scout).

Jeff Fisher is what I like to call a "training wheels coach".   He is good enough to get a team off the ground, but not good enough to put them over the top.  I can understand thinking he is extremely mediocre, but no way is he one of the worst hires in the last 20 years.   Not even close, really. 

16 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Same answer then @FourThreeMafia - Jim Zorn. First year mediocrity be damned, a lot of us knew that was a disaster from the start going from hiring him as OC to HC.

Jim Zorn 100%. He wasn't even hired to be our Head Coach at first. He was supposed to be our Offensive Coordinator. Dan Snyder, the genius that he is, hired an Offensive Coordinator before even having a Head Coach in place. The Redskins couldn't find anyone for about a month and panicked and promoted Zorn who had never been more than a QBs Coach before. It was a stupid moment in present time and is a stupid move in hindsight. 

At least with Spurrier, at the time of the hire, you understood the allure. Zorn was like when Homer Simpson was picked to conductor the Monorail. 

Otto: Who gets to be Conductor? 

Sleazy Monorail Salesman: I've been monitoring all of your progress closely and this guy stands out"....points finger into general crowd

Homer: Who me??

Salesman, not paying attention: Yeah. Sure.

7 minutes ago, steadypimpin said:

Zorn, Tomsula, McAdoo were all clueless coaches. 

Singletary was a nightmare. Nolan was a pretty bad coach but a great talent evaluator, he could also wear the **** out of that suit. 

Hue Jackson has to be the worst overall.

I didn't hate Tomsula as much as most seem to. I mean, you look at that roster he had it was so bad, yet he still won what, 5 games?. He did better than Chip Kelly (and Kelly had a better roster), and he was doing better than Shanahan (who also had a better roster) before Jimmy G got there. I mean, Tomsula had to roll with Blaine Gabbert as quarterback, no real decent coordinators, etc. The deck was stacked against him right from the off. I don't know that he was ready to be a coach at the time, but he wasn't as bad as people wanted to portray him. He would have been a viable head coaching candidate in time, but he will almost assuredly never get that opportunity again. 

Just now, Forge said:

I didn't hate Tomsula as much as most seem to. I mean, you look at that roster he had it was so bad, yet he still won what, 5 games?. He did better than Chip Kelly (and Kelly had a better roster), and he was doing better than Shanahan (who also had a better roster) before Jimmy G got there. I mean, Tomsula had to roll with Blaine Gabbert as quarterback, no real decent coordinators, etc. The deck was stacked against him right from the off. I don't know that he was ready to be a coach at the time, but he wasn't as bad as people wanted to portray him. He would have been a viable head coaching candidate in time, but he will almost assuredly never get that opportunity again. 

I think Tomsula knew he would be a bad coach but who would ever turn down $15M??? I wouldn't care what you say about me if I failed like that. I agree, Tomsula had the roster stripped down when he inherited it. Tomsula just doesn't have what it takes to be a HC, he's an awesome DL coach though. Some guys follow the money, nothing wrong with that at all. If it works, cool. If not, you're set for life.

Probably Josh McDaniels and Chip Kelly, at least in the last 10-15 years.

They are the same type of destructive. They came in with a combined 0 years head-coaching experience at the professional level, yet had the gall to completely decimate the talented rosters they inherited because it had to be "their way". They then drafted poorly, lost games, got fired quickly and set their respective former teams back a few years. Luckily for those fans, each team has now won a Super Bowl long after their departure.

Archived