Worst coaching hire the last 20 years?

thebestever6

1 hour ago, 49er pride said:

Tomsula. Look back it was bad but even at the time of the hire, I knew we were doomed. 

I can't even go back and watch his first press conference it's so cringe-worthy. 

Speaking of his pressers, the highlight of his tenure is probably the time he farted in one and the audio picked it up. 

9 hours ago, Forge said:

I didn't hate Tomsula as much as most seem to. I mean, you look at that roster he had it was so bad, yet he still won what, 5 games?. He did better than Chip Kelly (and Kelly had a better roster), and he was doing better than Shanahan (who also had a better roster) before Jimmy G got there. I mean, Tomsula had to roll with Blaine Gabbert as quarterback, no real decent coordinators, etc. The deck was stacked against him right from the off. I don't know that he was ready to be a coach at the time, but he wasn't as bad as people wanted to portray him. He would have been a viable head coaching candidate in time, but he will almost assuredly never get that opportunity again. 

No, he was horrible. Okay he had a bad roster, but he just seemed so incompetent in game situations. Even though the 49ers had 5 wins, their DVOA was dead last. 49ers were 0-9 at one point this past season, but not at any moment did I feel that Kyle didn't know what he was doing. It was like night and day. I could actually watch the games without wanting to throw up. 

Also, it's Tomsula's responsibility to assemble a good staff. Come on. 

Depends on how we want to measure it. Worst coaching hire in terms of results is pretty easy. Hue Jackson for Cleveland, Gus Bradley for Jacksonville, maybe Steve Spagnuolo for St. Louis. Cam Cameron had the worst coaching record of any HC who coached more than 3 games. But it could also be argued that none of those were bad hires at the time. They just turned out that way. Say whatever you want, but someone was going to hire Gus Bradley as a head coach that offseason. Hue Jackson was a hot commodity after the work he did with Cincy. They weren't necessarily bad hires without the benefit of hindsight. Kind of like the difference between a bad draft pick (taking a punter in the second, or drastically over-drafting a player) as opposed to drafting a bust (which could be injury or scheme fit or whatever.)

If we go the other route, of actual bad hiring decisions, with the information we had at the time of the hire, I'd argue Tomsula is definitely up there. No one thought that was a good idea at the time, and it didn't pan out as expected. Houston hiring Dom Capers was a really odd choice. Hiring a guy who failed to build an expansion team in his first stint to try to build your expansion team. KC gave Romeo Crennell a go after a terrible first stint in Houston. Oakland hired Dennis Allen after one year as a defensive coordinator in which he didn't coordinate a good defense.

On 3/5/2018 at 1:22 PM, joru1000 said:

Probably Josh McDaniels and Chip Kelly, at least in the last 10-15 years.

They are the same type of destructive. They came in with a combined 0 years head-coaching experience at the professional level, yet had the gall to completely decimate the talented rosters they inherited because it had to be "their way". They then drafted poorly, lost games, got fired quickly and set their respective former teams back a few years. Luckily for those fans, each team has now won a Super Bowl long after their departure.

Sorry but disagree with almost all of it. 

Yes He got rid of the Trio of Desean, Shady and "Maclin" decided to leave. 

However as a coach he took Nick Foles , Mike Vick and Mark friggen Sanchez to a 20-12 record., NFCE Title.

He drafted or fought to draft Lane Johnson the Athletic RT he needed for his scheme and TE Zach Ertz who destroyed his Oregon teams in College. One could argue without those two players Eagles don't sniff a SB. Without Foles going crazy in 2013 in Chips System, Pederson doesn't adapt his play calling to what Foles did great (RPO), We don't sniff a SB. Chip incorporated the Sports Science to the program for the very first time , made a point of emphasis on ST being 1/3 of the game. Hired Stout, Hired Flipp.

It's easy to look at the dysfunctional nature in which the building was run, his relationship with Howie, Players, etc. However without those moves good or bad, the 2017 Eagles don't exist.

Shouldn't be listed in the slightest.

I also think retread coaches of coaches who have failed in the past are a bad idea.    I know people will bring up Belichick, but he wasnt really "bad" in Cleveland.    Either way, he is the exception and doesnt represent the majority.    

Guys like John Fox and Jeff Fisher are viewed as bad choices, but I dont think either of them are terrible coaches.    They have both had success in the past and I think both have something to offer....but neither are franchise changers in the way guys like Mike Zimmer and Doug Pederson have proven to be.

And I think Pat Shurmur could be decent too.     He wasnt given a fair shake in Cleveland.

Norv Turner,  Hue Jackson, Eric Mangini, Mike Mularkey, Gus Bradley and Jim Caldwell were all laughably bad decisions IMO.    However, I also though the Jags hiring Doug Marrone was a bad decision, and that's looking like a nice fit so far (although its only been one year, so we will see). 

Archived