Worst coaching hire the last 20 years?

thebestever6

Seems like the key here is not naming coaches who were merely bad or unsuccessful, but ones who anyone should have known they didn't belong as NFL head coaches.

Marty Mornhinweg and Rod Marinelli had no business ever being hired as HCs. Eric Mangini is another one.

Edit: Tomsula and Petrino are two more, absolutely.

Jim Caldwell was actually a pretty good hire for the Lions and brought some stability and cohesion to the team. He just ran his course and obviously wasn't the guy to go on from here. A worthy NFL coach, just not a great one.

9 hours ago, Sugashane said:

In Chicago it was John Fox.

Yes, Trestman was better than Fox was in Chicago.

No. I'm sorry but I'd rather have John Fox. Marc Trestman was an absolute joke. The irony is he wrote a book on leadership and has none of the skills to actually lead. He let Brandon Marshall and Martellus Bennett run their mouths at any given point. He hired one of the worse defensive coaching staffs I've ever seen. He didnt fire Aaron Kromer after it came out that he was leaking to Ian Rapoport about how "awful" Jay Cutler was. 

John Fox just didnt win games. Marc Trestman turned this team into a laughing stock and he didnt win games. He deserves to be in this conversation. 

1 hour ago, GOGRIESE said:

No. I'm sorry but I'd rather have John Fox. Marc Trestman was an absolute joke. The irony is he wrote a book on leadership and has none of the skills to actually lead. He let Brandon Marshall and Martellus Bennett run their mouths at any given point. He hired one of the worse defensive coaching staffs I've ever seen. He didnt fire Aaron Kromer after it came out that he was leaking to Ian Rapoport about how "awful" Jay Cutler was. 

John Fox just didnt win games. Marc Trestman turned this team into a laughing stock and he didnt win games. He deserves to be in this conversation. 

Fox was supposed to be some hard board disciplinarian who could control a locker room, but they let Marshall a d Bennett go because he wasn't going to be able to handle them. Emery drafted trash and signed trash, IDK if Trestman had much to do with the pathetic talent level on defense, but I know one year we tied for 2nd in most PPG. That was in large part due to him. He was a mouse of a man, but 1st least had some Xs and Os together. 

Fox didn't lead either, Pace got better players in on defense and valued leadership qualities in them for a reason - to carry Fox if/when he was exposed as a failure. His offense was handed off and garbage each year, hos defenses improved because of Fangio and Pace. I believe a lot of the FAs knew Fox was a joke and that deterred them from coming. Even with a clearly superior staff to carry him, Fox was still horrendous. 

Both were garbage, but if you took both coaches and swapped them durong eachs tenure here, I believe Trestman would win more games. 

Some names that come to mind include: Josh McDaniels, Mike Singletary, Jim Tomsula, Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, Lane Kiffen and Ben McAdoo. There's probably plenty I'm forgetting. 

But I think Singletary takes the cake, anyone who finds it necessary to drop their pants as part of a post-game tirade takes the cake. 

I would have to go with 

1. McDaniels- almost doomed the Broncos and then this year with the Colts hire fiasco. Dude has no chance at redemption absent being guaranteed the Pats job from here on out. 

2.  Hue Jackson- 1-31. And he wasn't very good before that. If not for McDaniels' thing with the Colts this year, he'd have to be #1 on this list.Throws players under the bus quicker than Andrew Luck threw out his shoulder.

3. Bobby Petrino- I think he was probably better than his 3-10 record, considering that Vick was lost during camp. But the way he walked out on the team is unacceptable. The fact that his replacement fared much better only makes it look worse. 

Not sure if this thread is asking for who the worst hires are as far as "what were they thinking in hiring this person, clearly this experiment is going to fail" or a retrospective "who were the worst coaches of the last 20 years".

If the former, Jim Tomsula

If the latter, Hue Jackson. 

Les Steckel. Many bad coaches on the list were really hindered by bad players and/or bad management. Les Steckel was just a terrible head coach. He was completely in over his head. 

Or Bobby Petrino for being pure garbage on the sideline, in the locker room, in the office, and in life in general. 

On 3/5/2018 at 10:57 PM, Iamcanadian said:

San Diego's hiring of Norv Turner and worse yet, retaining him for a long period. Absolute great OC, but a useless HC. 

Inherited a 14-2 team and drove it into the ground. Not only was the hiring a head scratcher but so was the firing of the previous coach. They let both coordinators take head coaching jobs and then fired the head coach after everyone had already hired the best candidates. Then Norv somehow some way saved his job year after mediocre year. Pissed away the best chance the city of San Diego ever had at a championship. 

Great OC? Not for SD, Minnesota, Washington or Oakland. The guy is garbage with his 7 step drops. Only success he had was with an amazing offensive line, a hall of fame running back, qb, TE and WR... I guess he’s alright if you give him an elite squad to work with. 

Worst cosching hire in the last 20 years, I think, was Bill Belichick.

The Jets lost him right after he was hired. Guy set back their franchise by agreeing to a contract and then wanting to work for Kraft more. Worst head coach hire of all time. Jets hiring somebody who didn't want to be their head coach. Bill Belichick.

People are letting their personal feelings for guys cloud their judgement in this thread. I don’t see how you could argue josh mcdaniels being a worst hire than Hue Jackson who literally lost every game last season. 

Archived