What's your big board? 2018 edition!

RaidersAreOne

Really surprised by the lack of recognition Da'Ron Payne is getting here. I've only seen limited amounts of the top prospects admittedly but he jumps off the tape to me as a Pro Ready DT that can solidify the middle but also push the pocket and cause disruption there very much like Vea. His combine I thought was excellent for a man his size and while he'll be no Aaron Donald, we simply don't need him to be the focal point of the DL. It seems to me he is ideal to plug and play in the middle, generate pressure and collapse the pocket while not compromising the run defence and maybe getting 5 or 6 sacks. 

Also love the prospect that is Taven Bryan but he's a work in progress at this stage - he could provide some much needed penetration and disruption in the middle. I just wonder if he'll be able to a) contribute quickly and b) hold up sufficiently against big maulers against the run.

26 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Really surprised by the lack of recognition Da'Ron Payne is getting here. I've only seen limited amounts of the top prospects admittedly but he jumps off the tape to me as a Pro Ready DT that can solidify the middle but also push the pocket and cause disruption there very much like Vea. His combine I thought was excellent for a man his size and while he'll be no Aaron Donald, we simply don't need him to be the focal point of the DL. It seems to me he is ideal to plug and play in the middle, generate pressure and collapse the pocket while not compromising the run defence and maybe getting 5 or 6 sacks. 

Also love the prospect that is Taven Bryan but he's a work in progress at this stage - he could provide some much needed penetration and disruption in the middle. I just wonder if he'll be able to a) contribute quickly and b) hold up sufficiently against big maulers against the run.

Having seen nearly every Alabama game living in the South, he's a mirage. He's a day 2 pick in my eyes. He's not overly athletic if you look past his combine 40. He's going to be a solid role player in the NFL. But he doesn't bring enough to the table to be considered a top 10 pick. 

20 minutes ago, big_palooka said:
51 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Having seen nearly every Alabama game living in the South, he's a mirage. He's a day 2 pick in my eyes. He's not overly athletic if you look past his combine 40. He's going to be a solid role player in the NFL. But he doesn't bring enough to the table to be considered a top 10 pick. 

Interesting take BP, is there any DT you think is worthy of our #10 pick?

3 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Interesting take BP, is there any DT you think is worthy of our #10 pick?

Really depend on who's on the board when they pick. For Guenther's scheme, Hurst if his heart condition checks out looks like a good fit. Vea I believe will prove worth a top 10 pick as well. I like the DT class more trading down.

I like Vea too and think he'd be a good option for us, but I do have some of the same reservations. There seems like a lot of prospects who could go middle to end of the first and before us in the second maybe. I'm 50/50 on Hurst as i can't make up my mind if he'll hold up at the point of attack in the NFL, have to look into him more.............

1 minute ago, Darbsk said:

I like Vea too and think he'd be a good option for us, but I do have some of the same reservations. There seems like a lot of prospects who could go middle to end of the first and before us in the second maybe. I'm 50/50 on Hurst as i can't make up my mind if he'll hold up at the point of attack in the NFL, have to look into him more.............

With you on Hurst. It's 50/50. His first step is special. He's explosive and makes some plays I've never seen from a DT. Then he will get washed out completely at times.

I would love to see Hurst's heart condition be nothing (even if we don't select him). He could be the missing piece on this DL. As high as I am on Vea, I just don't feel like Jelly was paid that salary to be a part time player, and despite Vea's versatility, there is a lot of overlap with their positions. I'd be good with both, but for this team as currently constructed, Hurst just seems like the player with the more needed skillset. 

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

With you on Hurst. It's 50/50. His first step is special. He's explosive and makes some plays I've never seen from a DT. Then he will get washed out completely at times.

Hurst would be a good scheme fit imo. Gruden wants an attacking defense and Hurst fits that, I’m beginning to think he could be the pick.Obviously depends on the heart condition though.

4 hours ago, mct288 said:

I would love to see Hurst's heart condition be nothing (even if we don't select him). He could be the missing piece on this DL. As high as I am on Vea, I just don't feel like Jelly was paid that salary to be a part time player, and despite Vea's versatility, there is a lot of overlap with their positions. I'd be good with both, but for this team as currently constructed, Hurst just seems like the player with the more needed skillset. 

I don't view Vea and Jelly as the same position. I think Vea would be more of a 3T fit for Guenther

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I don't view Vea and Jelly as the same position. I think Vea would be more of a 3T fit for Guenther

I don't see him purely as a NT type player, nor as a pure 3T either. Part of what made Guenther successful was having Geno Atkins, which I would consider Hurst more in the mold of. 

I love Vita Vea, and that's why I'm careful not to label him as only a NT type, but I think he would play there a considerable amount. I think he can wreak havoc from anywhere, I just like Hurst more as a get after the passer type. We would probably see more numbers from Hurst than we would Vea - but we would probably see more numbers from everyone else if Vea is on the line than we would from Hurst. I really like both.

I'm all about using the bold for emphasis, if you couldn't tell.

4 hours ago, Dessie said:

Hurst would be a good scheme fit imo. Gruden wants an attacking defense and Hurst fits that, I’m beginning to think he could be the pick.Obviously depends on the heart condition though.

Just to throw some info to those who haven't followed up on it since the combine. Hurst had the same irregular EKG at Michagn and they did extensive testing and cleared him to play. Obviously you want to be sure and it's right to be cautious but my gut says he is fine. Some types are harmless.

I have an irregular heat beat and I played sports with it from 5yos to now as I still playing bball, racquetball and swimming regularly.

On 3/4/2018 at 10:28 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

For me right now without doing too much digging.  Red players probably won't fall to us.

1. Saquon Barkley
  2. Bradley Chubb
  3. Minkah Fitzpatrick
  4. Derwin James
  5. Roquan Smith
  6. Derrius Guice
  7. Vita Vea
  8. Quenten Nelson
  9. Da'ron Payne
  10. Terrell Edmunds

Mine has changed a lot. I would move Guice and Payne right out of my top 10, move Smith down, Edmunds up, add Ward and McGlinchey.

Really, really difficult this year, my initial top 10 is absent the QBs, Nelson, Chubb and Barkley:

1)  Vita Vea  DT  - Even though we've already got Ellis in there and he looked like he slimmed down a little last year we need someone who can push the pocket to make the whole D better. I think his floor is as a very good run stuffer but his ceiling is All Pro if he can be destructive inside.

2)  Denzel Ward CB - Size is not ideal unfortunately if he's up against some of these 6'3 behemoth receivers but he's just a great player, can start immediately at slot corner and has all the skills you could want, high floor player.

3)  Tremaine Edmunds MLB - I have him as a MLB in our system though he can no doubt play outside too, remarkable physical tools but I'm torn if a MLB is worth a premium over the DT we really need in front of him.................

4)  Minkah Fitzpatrick DB - Just a natural football player, my only reservations are where he actually fits. He may be able to play in the slot but he's probably best for us as a FS though we have a couple promising guys there already. You can always use great football players though.

5)  Derwin James SS - Another great football player but at a position we have young players recently drafted. He may even be my favourite player overall but at a lesser need and not sure if he were to move to LB whether we'be be making a potentially great safety into an average LB?

6)  Maurice Hurst DT - Boom or bust player at a position of need, he could be the interior penetrator we desperately need but can he hold up against much bigger guys at the NFL level, I'm really not sure?

7)  DaRon Payne DT - I'm a little unsure with this guy, maybe the highest floor of the top prospects but maybe not quite as high a ceiling due to his pass rushing rawness. There's certainly higher ceiling players but he feels like a safe type choice here which may be what we need after a couple years with little draft production.

8)  Mike McGlinchey RT - Not our typical mauler on the OL but I think he's the best OL prospect for us and can step in at RT immediately and potentially compete for LT after Penn's swansong. 

9)  Roquan Smith LB - Can he be the MLB we need if we don't bring back Bowman? Exceptional physical tools but he's projected a lot at outside linebacker and he'd really need to be a MLB in our system if we got him in the top 10.

10)  Leighton Vander Esch MLB - A great physical prospect similar in some ways to Edmunds but his missed tackles, overpersuit and high tackling at times worry me a little though I think that's something that can be rectified with good coaching.

This will no doubt change on a weekly basis and as I watch these guys more, also a couple of positions like DT and MLB really depend upon FA also.

5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Really, really difficult this year, my initial top 10 is absent the QBs, Nelson, Chubb and Barkley:

1)  Vita Vea  DT  - Even though we've already got Ellis in there and he looked like he slimmed down a little last year we need someone who can push the pocket to make the whole D better. I think his floor is as a very good run stuffer but his ceiling is All Pro if he can be destructive inside.

2)  Denzel Ward CB - Size is not ideal unfortunately if he's up against some of these 6'3 behemoth receivers but he's just a great player, can start immediately at slot corner and has all the skills you could want, high floor player.

3)  Tremaine Edmunds MLB - I have him as a MLB in our system though he can no doubt play outside too, remarkable physical tools but I'm torn if a MLB is worth a premium over the DT we really need in front of him.................

4)  Minkah Fitzpatrick DB - Just a natural football player, my only reservations are where he actually fits. He may be able to play in the slot but he's probably best for us as a FS though we have a couple promising guys there already. You can always use great football players though.

5)  Derwin James SS - Another great football player but at a position we have young players recently drafted. He may even be my favourite player overall but at a lesser need and not sure if he were to move to LB whether we'be be making a potentially great safety into an average LB?

6)  Maurice Hurst DT - Boom or bust player at a position of need, he could be the interior penetrator we desperately need but can he hold up against much bigger guys at the NFL level, I'm really not sure?

7)  DaRon Payne DT - I'm a little unsure with this guy, maybe the highest floor of the top prospects but maybe not quite as high a ceiling due to his pass rushing rawness. There's certainly higher ceiling players but he feels like a safe type choice here which may be what we need after a couple years with little draft production.

8)  Mike McGlinchey RT - Not our typical mauler on the OL but I think he's the best OL prospect for us and can step in at RT immediately and potentially compete for LT after Penn's swansong. 

9)  Roquan Smith LB - Can he be the MLB we need if we don't bring back Bowman? Exceptional physical tools but he's projected a lot at outside linebacker and he'd really need to be a MLB in our system if we got him in the top 10.

10)  Leighton Vander Esch MLB - A great physical prospect similar in some ways to Edmunds but his missed tackles, overpersuit and high tackling at times worry me a little though I think that's something that can be rectified with good coaching.

This will no doubt change on a weekly basis and as I watch these guys more, also a couple of positions like DT and MLB really depend upon FA also.

Like this list but unsure whether Reggie will pull the trigger on a ‘small’ CB.

Might have been the scheme JDR wanted but we seem to prefer tall, long corners, which Ward obviously isn’t. Even our FA pickups Melvin and Wright are in that mould. 

Archived