2018 Combine Lookers...

MDSteeler1971

Linebackers:

Tremaine Edmunds  ILB  Virginia Tech 4.54 40  At 19 years old 6'5 253 lbs, Edmunds combines elite size, speed and explosiveness into a productive, versatile linebacker package that will have evaluators salivating. Edmunds has posted high-impact production over the last two seasons and he still has room to get bigger and better. He will make mental mistakes and his instincts are subpar, but he has an ability to mitigate those issues with his athletic ability. Edmunds can play in any alignment at any linebacker spot and has All-Pro potential no matter where he lands.

Shaquem Griffin  OLB   Central Florida  4.38 40 Even with 1 hand he is shooting up the charts with his performance at the combine! Griffin's physical limitation should be discussed as it pertains to areas like tackle disengagement and consistency of finishing, but his instincts, play speed and technique have all been major factors in helping him thrive at his position. His upfield burst as an edge blitzer and his range as a tackler are two strengths that NFL teams could capitalize on. Griffin could hear his name on day three of the draft, but if not, his competitive spirit and playmaking talent give him a shot to make a roster at some point in his career.

Rashaan Evans  ILB  Alabama  DNR 40  Supposedly has the best chance of falling to us at 28. Ascending linebacker talent who has the speed to fly around from sideline to sideline and played with an improved feel for the position in 2017. Despite limited playing time over his first few seasons, Evans adapted a "work while you wait" mindset that prepared him to for impressive performances in three consecutive national championship games. Evans is an ideal inside linebacker fit for a blitz-happy 3-4 unit, but he could easily fit as a 4-3 WILL with rush potential on sub-packages. Evans is an early starter with high-end potential if he can stay healthy.

Lorenzo Carter  OLB/Edge  Georgia  4.50 40  Another specimen for his size at 6'6 250 lbs! Could he be the replacement for Bud? Carter was a five-star prospect and one of the most heralded players in the nation when he was recruited by Georgia but he never made the impact expected of him as a Bulldog. However, Carter played with increased toughness and confidence this year and his NFL potential began to reassert itself once again. Carter is an outside linebacker in a 3-4 or 4-3 with sideline-to-sideline range and the tools to become a productive edge rusher in sub-packages. He needs to add more bulk, but he is a future NFL starter.

Roquan Smith  LB  Georgia  4.51 40  They think he is a pro bowl caliber player no matter inside or out. Smith is an ascending linebacker prospect with elite athletic ability, plus intelligence and an ability to be an effective cover linebacker on passing downs. While he's a little undersized, he does have the quickness and speed to keep himself from being mauled. He was good in 2016, but great in 2017 and projects as a player who hasn't tapped his full potential. Smith has Pro Bowl traits and talent and will come off the board in the first round.

Leighton Vander Esch  ILB  Boise St.  4.65 40  At 6'4 256 and that speed he could be an instant starter! Vander Esch is a loose-hipped, instinctive linebacker who played in 2017 like he had a GPS tracker on the football. His production totals against both the run and pass are rare for being a first-year starter and with a frame that is primed for more muscle, his NFL ceiling is high. Vander Esch might benefit from a reduced role his rookie season while he improves his play strength and becomes more skilled at taking on blocks. He's an every-down linebacker with very good starting potential and the talent to fill up a stat sheet.

Malik Jefferson  ILB  Texas  4.52 40  Chance to become a nice starter. Jefferson has the desired combination of height, weight, speed that teams covet and draft, but his career production never matched his athletic traits. He lacks the instincts and play demeanor to be a middle linebacker and could move to a weakside linebacker spot in a 4-3 to take advantage of his athletic gifts. Jefferson has athletic talent, but needs to play with more of a glass-eating mentality to fit in with NFL linebackers. He has eventual starter talent and should become a very good core special teamer.

Darrius Leonard  OLB  South Carolina St.  4.7 40  Long and twitchy with athletic ability and straight-line speed that should light up the combine. Leonard has packed on the pounds since hitting campus, but it hasn't compromised his play speed as he has posted dominant production throughout. He lacks play strength and there are times you want to see more nasty in his field demeanor, but he has the traits and talent to become a good, three-down linebacker who can play 3-4 inside backer or 4-3 WILL.

Running backs:

Rashad Penny  San Diego St.  4.46 40  Only 13 on the bench but looks good everywhere else. Volume-carry running back who plays with an active running style that rarely sees him slow his feet. Penny has the short-area foot quickness to create yardage for himself, but he doesn't really have the burst or long speed to be a homerun hitter. His motor gives him a chance to be a productive NFL starter, but he may lack the explosiveness to be a great back.

Derrius Guice  LSU  4.49 40  15 on the bench. Compares himself to Marshawn Lynch. Evaluating Guice requires settling in for two full seasons of tape study as he was only healthy a fraction of the 2017 season. While Guice has some elusiveness and long speed, much of his success comes from his furious running style and ability to create yardage after contact. Guice's yards per touch was two yards higher over his first two seasons compared to last year. Like Leonard Fournette the year before, teams may be willing to lock in on his sophomore tape to create their evaluations and grades. Guice's running style could lead to a shorter career, but he has a chance to make a big splash early.

Nyheim Hines  N.C. State  4.38 40  Small in stature at 5'8 but can you catch him? Hines has dual-threat talent but doesn't have the size for full-time work at running back and is in need of much more work as a receiver. Hines' value to teams could rest upon how they envision using him. It is possible that he benefits from the success of Saints rookie Alvin Kamara with teams looking to plug him into that role, but he's not on Kamara's level. Hines is a linear runner whose ability to cut and burst would fit with teams looking for a change of pace back in an outside zone running scheme.

John Kelly  Tennessee  DNR 40  Kelly is a little undersized but is a tough runner and capable pass catcher who has the potential to play all three downs if needed. He can add additional yardage with plus contact balance and an ability to push through tackles, but his average burst between the tackles and around the edge could mean heâll have to live the life of a grinder. Kelly is a solid committee back with the ability to handle full-time duties if called upon.

small comments:

Tremaine Edmunds is a great athlete but not a football player.  The draft is all about projection so he should go high.  He has the same recognition issues that Shaizer had without the outstanding speed and explosiveness to compensate.  In other words, He will play like a LB with 4.8 speed rather than one with 4.5 speed because of the false steps.  Do you hope he learns?  Sure but someone is going to reach for him in the teens.

I had someone telling me that Lorenzo Carter would blow up the combine several weeks ago.  This is a guy I would lock on to for an EDGE rusher.  Waiting for the 3-cone drill.

Shaquem Griffin will be a special teams demon.  He could fit the role of LN/SS hybrid.  He would go in the top 20 if he had 2 hands.  The lack of one will put him in day 3.

Rashaan Evans and LVE looked smooth in the LB drills.  Both had outstanding 3-cone drills.  I like LVE but I understand he had some issues in the interviews of being an @$$hole.  We shall see.

Fred Warner was another LB that looked smooth in the drills.

EDGE rushers:

Ola Adeniyi looked good.  Good split in the 40.  I will want to see his Pro day results but I would take him in the 5th or 6th round.

Sam Hubbard's 3-cone time was totally unexpected. 6.84 for a 270 DE is outstanding.  I will want to see his Pro day.

Arden Key showed a lot less explosiveness than I expected.

Harold Landry reminds me of Jason Gildon.  Amazing 1st step but no sand in the pants.  I would take him in the 2nd but he will not be there.

Ja'Von Rolland-Jones was disappointing in his lack of explosion.  Perhaps he had an injury?

Josh Sweat checked all the boxes for the Steelers.  Not a fan in the 1st but he sure looks the part of an EDGE rusher.

NT/DL

Harrison Phillips should be in the conversations for the Steeler's first pick.  He will be dominate in the NFL.

I was disappointed with Nathan Shepherd's explosiveness.

Rashaan Evans has seemed to be linked heavily to Pittsburgh and not so much to anyone else.  It wouldn't shock me if he's not there at 28 or if someone trades up in front of us to get him.  But it also wouldn't be the first time that the "favored target' fell to us whether that be Esch or Evans

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

small comments:

Tremaine Edmunds is a great athlete but not a football player.  The draft is all about projection so he should go high.  He has the same recognition issues that Shaizer had without the outstanding speed and explosiveness to compensate.  In other words, He will play like a LB with 4.8 speed rather than one with 4.5 speed because of the false steps.  Do you hope he learns?  Sure but someone is going to reach for him in the teens.

I had someone telling me that Lorenzo Carter would blow up the combine several weeks ago.  This is a guy I would lock on to for an EDGE rusher.  Waiting for the 3-cone drill.

Shaquem Griffin will be a special teams demon.  He could fit the role of LN/SS hybrid.  He would go in the top 20 if he had 2 hands.  The lack of one will put him in day 3.

Rashaan Evans and LVE looked smooth in the LB drills.  Both had outstanding 3-cone drills.  I like LVE but I understand he had some issues in the interviews of being an @$$hole.  We shall see.

Fred Warner was another LB that looked smooth in the drills.

EDGE rushers:

Ola Adeniyi looked good.  Good split in the 40.  I will want to see his Pro day results but I would take him in the 5th or 6th round.

Sam Hubbard's 3-cone time was totally unexpected. 6.84 for a 270 DE is outstanding.  I will want to see his Pro day.

Arden Key showed a lot less explosiveness than I expected.

Harold Landry reminds me of Jason Gildon.  Amazing 1st step but no sand in the pants.  I would take him in the 2nd but he will not be there.

Ja'Von Rolland-Jones was disappointing in his lack of explosion.  Perhaps he had an injury?

Josh Sweat checked all the boxes for the Steelers.  Not a fan in the 1st but he sure looks the part of an EDGE rusher.

NT/DL

Harrison Phillips should be in the conversations for the Steeler's first pick.  He will be dominate in the NFL.

I was disappointed with Nathan Shepherd's explosiveness.

Tremaine Edmunds plays faster than any other LB in this draft.  Plus he is only 19.  He will learn and grow.  My only concern is he doesn’t always play to his size when taking on OG in the hole.

I also don’t get the love for L. Carter.  He is Bud Dupree 2.0.  Athletic as can be, but is extremely lacking as a pass rusher.  Might as well just resign Dupree since he knows the Def.

LVE movement and hips were on display at the combine.  He has gone up a bit for me.  However,  I still think he makes way to many plays at the second level and doesn’t shed well.

I think Warner solidified a 2nd-3rd round spot.  He looks pretty well rounded to me.  Solid, but unspectacular.  

Given the way the Steelers are using OLBs Hubbard went up in my book.  Although I still prefer better pass rushers.

Archived