The "For the Love of God Get Trubisky Help" Mock

Sugashane

3 hours ago, G08 said:

He was... and the term "football smarts" was thrown around in the Rams' forum. Don't know what that means for us here, but Pace said football smarts will play a huge role at WR here (then again, he is known to lie).

Anywho... definitely get Albert Wilson in here and try your damndest to land either Watkins or Robinson. Both are young and better than any other WR on our roster.

He was underused and Goff sucked throwing downfield to him. I have some stats saved for when I was looking at Watkins being the big signing here. I'll post it when I get home. Pretty crazy really. 

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

He was underused and Goff sucked throwing downfield to him. I have some stats saved for when I was looking at Watkins being the big signing here. I'll post it when I get home. Pretty crazy really. 

Can't wait to see them... I think his speed and reckless abandon he plays with when the ball is in his hands is perfect for this offense. And I think he can help teach Kevin White how to play the damned position.

6 hours ago, G08 said:

Can't wait to see them... I think his speed and reckless abandon he plays with when the ball is in his hands is perfect for this offense. And I think he can help teach Kevin White how to play the damned position.

Alright, kids are out and I have a few minutes of free time.  lol

I didn't compile the numbers myself, but can't find what the site was I referenced.  But here is why Watkins is possibly the top option even if Robinson hits the market.

Watkins poor numbers aren't as much his fault as Goff. While Goff had a okay deep completion percentage he SUCKED at getting the ball to Watkins deep.  Goff’s accuracy on throws of 16+ air yards was 43.9%. Goff’s percentile would’ve ranked 25th if it were charted for the 2016-17 edition.

When it comes to contested catches, Watkins is no slouch. He burns his man on this play with little sweat, and outruns the secondary help as well. The pass from Goff is catchable, but requires the receiver to make an adjustment. Watkins is able to look up, locate the ball, and pull it down for the explosive play. It’s an awkward adjustment to make, but Watkins is able to make this look natural.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/wZ5piqX_3YAmm-GZ9y_4jwLqJD8=/0x0:700x306/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:700x306):gifv():no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/10298377/Watkins_burning_and_adjusting.gif

That’s another thing: Watkins is such a natural, fluid receiver. It’s especially impressive for Watkins given his injury history. Watkins even lends himself to being a threat for yards after the catch thanks to his spatial awareness and quick cuts, such as on the play below. When he’s healthy, Watkins is one of the absolute best vertical receivers in the league. His route running, raw speed, and strong hands make him an absolute monster as a possession receiver and a straight up downfield threat.

Goff was only accurate on six of 20 passes to him on throws of 16+ air yards. 30% of Goff’s throws to this area or more were accurate, which is horrible. He’s consistently creating separation and yet still gets the short end of the stick from his quarterback. His low numbers aren’t a reflection of his quality. He is getting too few chances and Goff can't doesn't seem to have the arm for 25+ yard throws with accuracy to him.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/gdplinmdj2k23dbqLM8WxsZZF0M=/0x0:700x306/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:700x306):gifv():no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/10298153/Goff_underthrows_open_Watkins.gif

When he was the offensive coordinator for the Redskins from 2014-2016, McVay would use famed downfield receiver DeSean Jackson to create space for other receivers. McVay understood how much defenses feared Jackson, and even when he wasn’t the main target, he was able to attract defenders to him and leave other receivers uncovered. Last season, McVay used Watkins the exact same way, but Cousins was better able to hit Jackson deep than Goff was with Watkins.

I have no doubt Trubisky could better utilize Watkins' speed, and he would fit into Hill's role wonderfully. With him going deep as the X, and possibly Cohen flying in the Z (away from press coverage), Meredith, Shaheen, Wright, and whoever is drafted should face a LOT of man coverage. Like what Goff got while McVay used a ton of play-action and RPOs, Trubisky will suddenly just be asked to make the easy throws with regularity and hit the deep ones with more regularity than Goff did this year with Watkins. You can't tell me even our reserve TEs couldn't make this play.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Z8XBpac4V4h92fbX0N3I88uoq-g=/0x0:680x290/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:680x290):gifv():no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/10298329/Watkins_creates_space_for_Kupp.gif

I want Robinson or Watkins, and I will be happy to pay for either of them. Watkins will get criticized as overpaid, but stats are only a partial indicator of a player's success or importance. But I would expect his stats to take a noticeable jump with us from last year.

Yeah this is getting unhealthy for me, I can't wait for 3pm to hit tomorrow. I'm praying the Rams don't tag Watkins.

I'd give him 5 years/$75 million/$30 million guaranteed. Don't care if that's considered overpaying for him; get that **** done.

I've been watching a ton of Robinson and he's a solid WR, but he relies more on his size to get open rather than pure speed and athleticism. With Watkins you can see him abuse corners with his elite athleticism. I want that on this roster and I really do think he could help teach Kevin White a thing or two about playing the position.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

I've been watching a ton of Robinson and he's a solid WR, but he relies more on his size to get open rather than pure speed and athleticism. With Watkins you can see him abuse corners with his elite athleticism. I want that on this roster and I really do think he could help teach Kevin White a thing or two about playing the position.

That is why I wonder if they will go after him. They had that in Jeffery and let him walk for zero compensation. Did Pace realize his mistake and decide to get the upgraded Jeffery? Or does he and Nagy want to get that elite athlete on the outside to open everything up for Trubisky and the others? If we just want a size/speed mismatch, the look at this -

X- Watkins

Y- Meredith

R - Shaheen

Z- White or Cohen

Watkins is the smallest of the bunch but attacks the ball like he is 6'5", Cameron and Kevin both have put up crazy athletic numbers, Cohen is a hellish athlete and Shaheen has a fantastic blend of size and athleticism. Put Howard as the back and watch the RPOs suck in the LBs. SOMEONE is getting open almost every play there.

13 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

That is why I wonder if they will go after him. They had that in Jeffery and let him walk for zero compensation. Did Pace realize his mistake and decide to get the upgraded Jeffery? Or does he and Nagy want to get that elite athlete on the outside to open everything up for Trubisky and the others? If we just want a size/speed mismatch, the look at this -

X- Watkins

Y- Meredith

R - Shaheen

Z- White or Cohen

Watkins is the smallest of the bunch but attacks the ball like he is 6'5", Cameron and Kevin both have put up crazy athletic numbers, Cohen is a hellish athlete and Shaheen has a fantastic blend of size and athleticism. Put Howard as the back and watch the RPOs suck in the LBs. SOMEONE is getting open almost every play there.

Exactly, and even with Watkins being the smallest of the bunch he's a proverbial bull in a china shop with the ball in his hands. I went back and looked at some of his Clemson "tape" and I swear to God I can see him having the exact same role here in Chicago. Jet sweeps, reverses, quick hitters, etc etc etc. He's freaking perfect.

16 hours.

1 hour ago, Rogerthat said:

nice work on the mock.  I don't care if its Watkins or Robinson.  Just give mitch someone to throw the damn ball too. 

Thank you. Exacrly. We need WR talent in the worst way. I made fun of us at the time, but Hester, Knox, and maybe even Earl Bennett could have been our number one WR since Meredith was down last year. That's horrible.

I mean... damn... lol

50 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Thank you. Exacrly. We need WR talent in the worst way. I made fun of us at the time, but Hester, Knox, and maybe even Earl Bennett could have been our number one WR since Meredith was down last year. That's horrible.

I mean... damn... lol

Ugh.

Dude what if we come out this without Watkins/Robinson/Landry ?

31 minutes ago, G08 said:

Ugh.

Dude what if we come out this without Watkins/Robinson/Landry ?

Eww. Then we re-sign Wright and Inman, get Wilson, draft a WR in 2nd and 4th... and pray a lot. 

Maybe take a swing on Pryor too. If we want speed more than anything, go after Richardson instead of Pryor. 

I'd also be looking to trade for someone. Not make a stupid deal, but someone else has to be available. 

I want one of the big fish though dammit...

Archived