Running Backs, Positional Value, And The 2018 Prospects

LETSGOBROWNIES

11 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Well, I am officially off the Barkley bandwagon.  The guy has now officially gone out of his way to alienate this Browns fan (and I'm guessing others.)  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look-johnny-manziel-works-out-with-saquon-barkley-says-rb-is-no-1-pick/

OK, maybe not, but optics young man.  Optics.

lol do you think its just by chance the Browns logo is in the Background?

like that cant just be coincidence 

Just going back over the last ten or so drafts, take the blue chip guys when you can because they essentially never miss. Most drafts have 1 to 3 guys who are just next level prospects due to: 

1. Overwhelming Physical Attributes
  2. Multiple Years big time production
  3. Lack of any significant warts (injury, off field issues, weird mechanics, etc.)
  4. Easy to project role and skillset

These are in my opinion, the prospects who truly separated themselves as special. 

• 2017: Garrett, Adams
  • 2016: Bosa, Ramsey, Elliot, Ramsey
  • 2015: Cooper, Beasley, Williams
  • 2014:  Clowney, Mack
  • 2013: none
  • 2012: Luck, Richardson, Kuechly
  • 2011: Miller, Green, Jones, Peterson, Dareus, Watt, Smith
  • 2010: Suh, McCoy, Berry
  • 2009: Curry
  • 2008: None
  • 2007: Johnson, Thomas, Peterson
  • 2006: Williams, Bush, Hawk, Ferguson, Davis

That's 33 players over the last 12 drafts who in my opinion were categorized as 'can't miss' or 'generational' 

There are only a few outright busts - Aaron Curry and Trent Richardson. 

The 'bad picks' like Reggie Bush, AJ Hawk, Vernon Davis and Marcel Dareus have had / will have very long NFL careers and actually been solid first round picks all things considered.  

The rest are all basically Future Stars, Current Stars, Super Stars, Hall of Famers, or All Time Greats. 

This years list is Barkley and Nelson. Maybe Chubb. You need to nab one of them plus your QB. Or both if you take Cousins. 

23 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

This years list is Barkley and Nelson. Maybe Chubb. You need to nab one of them plus your QB. Or both if you take Cousins. 

I'll give you Barkley and Nelson as elite

but man Vita Vea wow as a NT hes elite maybe not overall player but your not going to get better than him as a NT

Derwin James to me also could be elite but I get him not being one of the select few 

5 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I'll give you Barkley and Nelson as elite

but man Vita Vea wow as a NT hes elite maybe not overall player but your not going to get better than him as a NT

Derwin James to me also could be elite but I get him not being one of the select few 

I didn't list James because his body of work in college wasn't enough and he had a major injury that cost him a year and lack of team success last year. 

Vea is a beast but hes just not enough to be remembered as a holy cow prospect. 

8 hours ago, roger murdock said:

I didn't list James because his body of work in college wasn't enough and he had a major injury that cost him a year and lack of team success last year. 

Vea is a beast but hes just not enough to be remembered as a holy cow prospect. 

Vea is Ngata clone imo.  6’5” 347, 5.1, 41 reps.

Tremaine Edmunds is a monster too.

Your list is leaving a few guys out who were pretty well thought of as prospects at the time who didn’t quite live up to those standards (Long, Kalil, McFadden) as well as including guys who were never viewed as that type of prospect but have played well since (Watt, Smith).

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Vea is Ngata clone imo.  6’5” 347, 5.1, 41 reps.

Tremaine Edmunds is a monster too.

Your list is leaving a few guys out who were pretty well thought of as prospects at the time who didn’t quite live up to those standards (Long, Kalil, McFadden) as well as including guys who were never viewed as that type of prospect but have played well since (Watt, Smith).

Kalil I over-looked. 

Tyson Smith I could have excluded but his combination of atttitude, productivtity and all time great physical tools made me feel he deserved to be included. 

Watt absolutely should be included. Best NFL combine of all time, incredible production in college including in big games. He wasn't viewed as a top 5 pick because that was the most talented draft of all time. He would he in consideration for #1 most years. 

Not sure if you mean Chris Long or Jake Long but I don't remember either being prototype studs and more being best of what was availavle. 

McFadden had some issues so i didnt count him. I was looking at the no brainers.

I have 5 elite players in this draft right now.

1. Quinton Nelson

2. Saquon Barkley

3. Derwin James

4. Denzel Ward

5. Vita Vea

Yes, the QB class is very nice and there are 3-4 guys that I would say are at least worthy of the #1 overall pick, but there is hardly ever a no-brainer elite QB like there are at other positions.

Archived