Steelers are expected to Franchise tag Le'Veon Bell

49erurtaza

He likely won’t get that much AAV on a long term deal so the no-brainer answer in theory is to sign the tag offer sheet.  BUT...the issue is that under the tag past year PIT rode him harder than a rented mule.  406 touches over a 15 game period, 340 over 12 games the year before.   Totally get why PIT would keep tagging him for risk of sudden breakdown.  But he gets tagged PIT likely keeps riding him hard.  Bell’s risk of losing long term $ is astronomical IMO at this rate of usage.

Bell’s only leverage is to hold out and report before week 9.   He’d lose half the 14.4M but would save on all that wear and tear before 2019 and also still accrue a year of service time - so PIT would have to go 20M+ (44 percent raise) to tag him a 3rd time.  Basically what Duane Brown did in HOU. 

If there’s no multi-year deal negotiated this could get ugly.  

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

He likely won’t get that much AAV on a long term deal so the no-brainer answer in theory is to sign the tag offer sheet.  BUT...the issue is that under the tag past year PIT rode him harder than a rented mule.  406 touches over a 15 game period, 340 over 12 games the year before.   Totally get why PIT would keep tagging him for risk of sudden breakdown.  But he gets tagged PIT likely keeps riding him hard.  Bell’s risk of losing long term $ is astronomical IMO at this rate of usage.

Bell’s only leverage is to hold out and report before week 9.   He’d lose half the 14.4M but would save on all that wear and tear before 2019 and also still accrue a year of service time - so PIT would have to go 20M+ (44 percent raise) to tag him a 3rd time.  Basically what Duane Brown did in HOU. 

If there’s no multi-year deal negotiated this could get ugly.  

It would be better to sign it and rest your body on every Injury. “Sorry coach i know its a big game but i stubbed my toe last tuesday and its still is a bit off” you get that money, you screw the team that you hate, and you rest your body. 

At this point, Bell won't be a Steeler in 2019.  Barkley would be amazing but that's simply not going to happen so no point in even discussing it.  The Steelers have never struggled to find good RBs so when it comes to THIS team, he is replaceable to some degree.  Expect the Steelers to run the wheels off of him in 2018.  He is one ACL injury away from depleting his value completely.

9 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Wonder if certain posters will still be tooting the “Bell is replaceable” horn...

???

Umm...he is replaceable.    And its not tooting a horn for a player we might lose.....its stating a fact about a player that I personally dont want to see the Steelers pay a ton of money to.

Now, does that mean that the offense would be just as good without him?   No, but does Bell's presence make or break the offense?   Absolutely not.   This team would be fine in the running game.....its the passing game where losing Bell would hurt, but with all the OTHER weapons in the passing game, if they could get a decent 3rd down type back to pair with Conner, they could still replace some of what they lost with Bell via a committee.    Just wouldnt have that all in one feature back.

Bottom line though, he is replaceable.....and I would rather use that money on improving the defense. 

15 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

???

Umm...he is replaceable.    And its not tooting a horn for a player we might lose.....its stating a fact about a player that I personally dont want to see the Steelers pay a ton of money to.

Now, does that mean that the offense would be just as good without him?   No, but does Bell's presence make or break the offense?   Absolutely not.   This team would be fine in the running game.....its the passing game where losing Bell would hurt, but with all the OTHER weapons in the passing game, if they could get a decent 3rd down type back to pair with Conner, they could still replace some of what they lost with Bell via a committee.    Just wouldnt have that all in one feature back.

Bottom line though, he is replaceable.....and I would rather use that money on improving the defense. 

My post has less to do on whether or not Bell’s replaceable (disagree with you there) and more to do with whether or not some posters flip stances on him now that it looks like Pittsburgh’s making more of an effort to keep him.

Thought that was obvious. 

Archived