Steelers are expected to Franchise tag Le'Veon Bell

49erurtaza

5 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

My post has less to do on whether or not Bell’s replaceable (disagree with you there) and more to do with whether or not some posters flip stances on him now that it looks like Pittsburgh’s making more of an effort to keep him.

Thought that was obvious. 

Not sure how it would be obvious unless I was aware of your agenda....which wasnt clear in your post.    All I saw was your comment mocking those pushing that "Bell is replaceable".

And what exactly is there to disagree with?   The Steelers offense has had success without Bell before.   It would be much smarter to spend that money on addressing the defense, and history supports that logic. 

6 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Not sure how it would be obvious unless I was aware of your agenda....which wasnt clear in your post.    All I saw was your comment mocking those pushing that "Bell is replaceable".

My “agenda”...right. 

Anyone who felt insulted, mocked, or offended by a tongue-in-cheek comment like that must have some massive inferiority issues. What I said wasn’t incendiary or direct at any single poster. 

6 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

And what exactly is there to disagree with?   The Steelers offense has had success without Bell before.   It would be much smarter to spend that money on addressing the defense, and history supports that logic. 

Yeah, they have. They’ve been 11-9 without him, which isn’t exactly great. Undefeated when his carries are up, IIRC. His YFS/game destroys everybody else’s. He’s the best, or at least, in the top 3 of running backs and has been for years now. Whether he’s worth the money has no part in believing he’s not replaceable by Conners and some scat back. 

And it’s totally fine that you disagree, if I had wanted to get into that conversation, I’d have opened with that - I’m responding now because you asked.

On a different note ppl are quick to criticize agents / players who rep themselves when they rake below-market deals.  But Bell’s agent sure looks justified in recommending he take the PIT offer (5/60 with 30.5M in the first 2 years) last year that Bell vetoed.  It really was a fair market offer.  With the depth that this latest RB class will add to last year I have a hard time believing someone will go past 12M AAV given the market esp at his mileage and risk of season-killing suspension with the next drug related mistake.  

7 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

???

Umm...he is replaceable.    And its not tooting a horn for a player we might lose.....its stating a fact about a player that I personally dont want to see the Steelers pay a ton of money to.

Now, does that mean that the offense would be just as good without him?   No, but does Bell's presence make or break the offense?   Absolutely not.   This team would be fine in the running game.....its the passing game where losing Bell would hurt, but with all the OTHER weapons in the passing game, if they could get a decent 3rd down type back to pair with Conner, they could still replace some of what they lost with Bell via a committee.    Just wouldnt have that all in one feature back.

Bottom line though, he is replaceable.....and I would rather use that money on improving the defense. 

I don't see how people can't understand the fact that you can state Bell is an amazing player, but giving him the fat contract he wants makes no sense for a team like the Steelers. For a team with a plethora of cap space, like the Browns or the 49ers? Sure.

But throwing a bunch of money at a RB who has mileage and injury history...makes no sense for the Steelers. They absolutely should tag him.

6 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

My “agenda”...right. 

Anyone who felt insulted, mocked, or offended by a tongue-in-cheek comment like that must have some massive inferiority issues. What I said wasn’t incendiary or direct at any single poster. 

Wow....could you possibly overreact anymore?   The only one here acting offended is you. 

By "agenda" I meant whatever your goal was with that post....which you claim was obvious, but actually wasnt.

Yeah, they have. They’ve been 11-9 without him, which isn’t exactly great.

No offense, but this is a meaningless stat without supporting context.  Losing those games werent necessarily because we didnt have him.  There were also several games that Bell was out when Ben was out as well.     So without going back and analyzing each game, that stat really doesnt mean much.

Undefeated when his carries are up, IIRC.

Teams run more when they are having success and to close out games.    Not a shocking stat.

His YFS/game destroys everybody else’s. He’s the best, or at least, in the top 3 of running backs and has been for years now. Whether he’s worth the money has no part in believing he’s not replaceable by Conners and some scat back. 

And it’s totally fine that you disagree, if I had wanted to get into that conversation, I’d have opened with that - I’m responding now because you asked.

Okay....but Im not arguing Bell isnt a great player.   Im just saying he isnt irreplaceable on a team with a top 5-7 QB, an elite WR corps and a good OLine.   He wasnt special running the ball in 2017, and we still won 13 games.   Beyond that, DeAngelo Williams came in for him a couple years ago and filled his void nicely.    

Bottom line....I would like to keep Bell in general, but factoring in the money he wants, how RBs are one of the easier positions to replace, and how signing him would handcuff us in ways in regards to improving other, more important parts of the team.....Im okay with letting him walk.   And while we wouldnt be able to replace him with one player....our offense has succeeded without him in the past.

• 3 weeks later...

File as the least surprising news today...

That 5/60 offer with 30M over the first 2 years might be the best he sees.   PIT sure looks like they will let him play out this year and then let him walk.    Good luck on getting him to report for TC lol.  

On 3/6/2018 at 6:32 AM, Broncofan said:

On a different note ppl are quick to criticize agents / players who rep themselves when they rake below-market deals.  But Bell’s agent sure looks justified in recommending he take the PIT offer (5/60 with 30.5M in the first 2 years) last year that Bell vetoed.  It really was a fair market offer.  With the depth that this latest RB class will add to last year I have a hard time believing someone will go past 12M AAV given the market esp at his mileage and risk of season-killing suspension with the next drug related mistake.  

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

That 5/60 offer with 30M over the first 2 years might be the best he sees.   PIT sure looks like they will let him play out this year and then let him walk.    Good luck on getting him to report for TC lol.  

How do you figure? If he took the 5/60 with 30 guaranteed last year he would have the same guaranteed money he got last year and will this upcoming year. That means after next season PITT can franchise him again which means he would blow away the guaranteed money the long term deal offered or they let him walk. If that happens you don't think Bell can get a 3 year 30 million dollar contract with 0 guaranteed? 

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Wish we would find a trade partner that Bell was willing to go to, he would sign the tag, and then we could trade him.

But yes, the most likely case is we get a watered-down version of him for one more year, and then he walks.

He seems to think someone is going to pay him $20M a year.     Maybe they will, but I am happy it wont be us.  

6 minutes ago, howru8888 said:

How do you figure? If he took the 5/60 with 30 guaranteed last year he would have the same guaranteed money he got last year and will this upcoming year. That means after next season PITT can franchise him again which means he would blow away the guaranteed money the long term deal offered or they let him walk. If that happens you don't think Bell can get a 3 year 30 million dollar contract with 0 guaranteed? 

Bell made 12M last year.    I'm saying PIT isn't likely going to offer him 4/48M this year, they appear dead set on letting him walk after his tag year - and use him like a rented mule.   

Just now, Broncofan said:

Bell made 12M last year.    I'm saying PIT isn't likely going to offer him 4/48M this year, they appear dead set on letting him walk after his tag year - and use him like a rented mule.

I get that but he got 12 last year and only 15 this year thats 27 million in 2 years. He will easily get at least 3 million guaranteed and 33 million on the open market next year

Just now, howru8888 said:

I get that but he got 12 last year and only 15 this year thats 27 million in 2 years. He will easily get at least 3 million guaranteed and 33 million on the open market next year

My comments were on what PIT is going to do. 

1 minute ago, howru8888 said:

He is speaking of a long term deal, not just the total money.

If Bell gets hurt this year, he wont get that.  

Archived