Post Combine Hot Takes

dll2000

Just random musings.  Feel free to add your own or blast mine. 

Everyone will gush about one armed guy, but no one will draft him before 4th.   He isn't an ILB and is too small to be an outside rusher.  Not a DB.   A WLB in a 4-3 or nothing I guess.    May be just a special teams guy.  Not saying he couldnt play, I think he could, but you have to have a plan and DCs don't make plans for oene guy.  They plug guys in to their systems that fit a mold.  Why so many grat hybrid players fail. Lack of imagination or practical fear of designing something around a guy that could get hurt in one snap.  

Davenport just made the short list of Bears possiblities at 8 since it is such a position of dire need now and Davenport is ascending.

Edmunds will be real hard to pass on.  Edmunds, Barkley and Nelson are class of draft, but all play deep positions that teams feel like they can always find players at.  

Fitzpatrick may be overrated on many mocks as he is kind of a hybrid player.  I won't be surprised if Ward or Jackson go before him.  

Now is the time coaches late to game will start to fall in love with their favorite college QB they can see them selves with and start nagging their GM.  Boards may change.  Big trades will be made.

QB class as no 'sure things', but still has guys with high ceilings.  I can see Elway falling in love with Allen and making a move for him.  

All this talk about Cousins like he is a top 3 QB.  Washington thought Smith was as good or better.  He is decent/good.  That's it.  If you overpay him your team wil be bad in long run.  He can win a bit with Denver or Minn early.  When young contracts are up they will stink.  

No one can agree on who second and third best receivers are this draft after Ridley. 

its 2018 and NFL teams are still asking players if they are into dudes.  The NFL should fine the team that asked Guice if he is gay and then outlaw the question of player's sexuality from the combine. 

This is why I hate Rodger Goodell.  He doesn't apply things equally.  He is all SJW BLM on race but no gays in the league and its okay to hit women and we'll ban you for life for smoking some tree. 

38 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

its 2018 and NFL teams are still asking players if they are into dudes.  The NFL should fine the team that asked Guice if he is gay and then outlaw the question of player's sexuality from the combine. 

This is why I hate Rodger Goodell.  He doesn't apply things equally.  He is all SJW BLM on race but no gays in the league and its okay to hit women and we'll ban you for life for smoking some tree. 

If a team asked me if say yes and start hitting on the person asking. If anyone claimed I did I'd call them a liar. Easy way to keep those douchebags from drafting me.

Luckily I'm a mediocre athlete with 3 ACL surgeries to my name, so I'm already safe. 

My hot takes:

-Gesicki-"TE" and Chark-WR are probably my favorite 2 receiving targets right now... Gesicki is athletic enough a TE to be a mismatch ala Gronk... and his terrible blocking to me just means that he runs exclusively out of the slot, and Shaheen can be the inline guy...... Chark on the other hand I want as our field stretcher.... The issue I see now is that I think BOTH are gone before the middle of the 2nd round now...

-Ridley-WR a guy I was super high on pre combine really let me down.... I still think his skillset/ability to get open and run routes makes him the #1 WR from this class, but man I just can't get behind him as the pick, when previously he was one of my top 2 wants.

-Harold Landry-Edge has to be in the conversation for #8.... He put up statistically elite combine numbers and has shown enough pass rush over 2 years to be in the conversation.  His droppoff this past year is incredibly concerning, however...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-harold-landrys-combine-performance-puts-him-in-rarified-air

-Davenport-Edge..... I actually moved off my board.... his 3 cone wasn't good, and I think he's going to have to make his $$ as a 4-3 DE. He simply isn't agile enough to be a 3-4 OLB

-Jackson-CB's combine wasn't that bad.... but it also wasn't good enough to take him top 15 on it's own... His tape is good though I don't want him outside of a trade down

-Ward-CB's combine was exceptional..... but I have trouble going for a shorter than desired corner who's also lighter than desired.  I'd probably still put him above Jackson, but I think there's better options at 8.

4 hours ago, Epyon said:

My hot takes:

-Gesicki-"TE" and Chark-WR are probably my favorite 2 receiving targets right now... Gesicki is athletic enough a TE to be a mismatch ala Gronk... and his terrible blocking to me just means that he runs exclusively out of the slot, and Shaheen can be the inline guy...... Chark on the other hand I want as our field stretcher.... The issue I see now is that I think BOTH are gone before the middle of the 2nd round now...

-Ridley-WR a guy I was super high on pre combine really let me down.... I still think his skillset/ability to get open and run routes makes him the #1 WR from this class, but man I just can't get behind him as the pick, when previously he was one of my top 2 wants.

-Harold Landry-Edge has to be in the conversation for #8.... He put up statistically elite combine numbers and has shown enough pass rush over 2 years to be in the conversation.  His droppoff this past year is incredibly concerning, however...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-harold-landrys-combine-performance-puts-him-in-rarified-air

-Davenport-Edge..... I actually moved off my board.... his 3 cone wasn't good, and I think he's going to have to make his $$ as a 4-3 DE. He simply isn't agile enough to be a 3-4 OLB

-Jackson-CB's combine wasn't that bad.... but it also wasn't good enough to take him top 15 on it's own... His tape is good though I don't want him outside of a trade down

-Ward-CB's combine was exceptional..... but I have trouble going for a shorter than desired corner who's also lighter than desired.  I'd probably still put him above Jackson, but I think there's better options at 8.

Landry's performance was awesome, he definitely showed the bend and agility I wanted to see.

Jackson is still my top CB, his ball skills are just phenomenal and he seems to be able to stick to receivers. I still maintain the last 3 drafts the best CBs to me went - Ramsey, Lattimore, Jackson in that order. Of course that is predraft ratings, not hindsight, as Tre'Davious White wasn't even on my top 5 last year - big miss   lol. But I still have him over Ward, seeing Cobbs work Ward over so badly kind of makes me wonder if he relies too heavily on his athleticism. IDK.

Ridley is a hell of a WR prospect, but just not a top 10 guy. If we can trade back with MIA or AZ and pick up another 1st in 2019, then I'm ok with it, but I want Edmunds, Jackson, Nelson, Davenport, or Landry. Get some vet receivers to handle the load now, and let some young guys develop, as a lot of WRs take 1-2 years to become real NFL receivers.

Lamar Jackson was pretty mediocre I thought. Antonio Callaway caught a horrendous duck that he had to turn completely around and catch at the knees on the go route, maybe he will have a better pro day. Looked as inaccurate as I thought though. Loved Callaway's performance and tape but Pace won't take that risk, though for a 4th or even 5th you're getting a massive potential reward.

44 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Landry's performance was awesome, he definitely showed the bend and agility I wanted to see.

Jackson is still my top CB, his ball skills are just phenomenal and he seems to be able to stick to receivers. I still maintain the last 3 drafts the best CBs to me went - Ramsey, Lattimore, Jackson in that order. Of course that is predraft ratings, not hindsight, as Tre'Davious White wasn't even on my top 5 last year - big miss   lol. But I still have him over Ward, seeing Cobbs work Ward over so badly kind of makes me wonder if he relies too heavily on his athleticism. IDK.

Ridley is a hell of a WR prospect, but just not a top 10 guy. If we can trade back with MIA or AZ and pick up another 1st in 2019, then I'm ok with it, but I want Edmunds, Jackson, Nelson, Davenport, or Landry. Get some vet receivers to handle the load now, and let some young guys develop, as a lot of WRs take 1-2 years to become real NFL receivers.

Lamar Jackson was pretty mediocre I thought. Antonio Callaway caught a horrendous duck that he had to turn completely around and catch at the knees on the go route, maybe he will have a better pro day. Looked as inaccurate as I thought though. Loved Callaway's performance and tape but Pace won't take that risk, though for a 4th or even 5th you're getting a massive potential reward.

Landry is my guy. If we can get him lower than 8 then great, but at 8 I’m 100% fine with it. I think he’s gonna be special. 

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Landry is my guy. If we can get him lower than 8 then great, but at 8 I’m 100% fine with it. I think he’s gonna be special. 

I like Edmunds more than him, but if we trade down and pick up a 3rd rounder I'd be all for Landry (HAROLD, mind you @Sugashane xD) in the first round.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

I like Edmunds more than him, but if we trade down and pick up a 3rd rounder I'd be all for Landry (HAROLD, mind you @Sugashane xD) in the first round.

Ahh, Edmunds is the G08 love pick of the year.   Lol.  I like his skill set and raw talent, but he is raw enough that I think it will take a few years for him to start becoming useful.  I think this team leans towards rookies that are more likely to make an immediate impact, even though at first glance it didn't appear the last draft could do that with Trubisky, Shaheen, Cohen, and Jackson all being viewed as people who would sit for a time.

14 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Ahh, Edmunds is the G08 love pick of the year.   Lol.  I like his skill set and raw talent, but he is raw enough that I think it will take a few years for him to start becoming useful.  I think this team leans towards rookies that are more likely to make an immediate impact, even though at first glance it didn't appear the last draft could do that with Trubisky, Shaheen, Cohen, and Jackson all being viewed as people who would sit for a time.

Honestly I don't LOVE anyone in this draft as of right now. Edmunds has his warts, but if Fangio likes him I don't see why he can't be used like Aldon Smith (just rush the passer, kid). Ward is fine as a corner but smaller than I like, Jackson intrigues me but I think 8 might be too rich for him, Landry/Key/Carter are intriguing pass rushers but they all come with their warts. Nobody really sparks me like Aaron Donald and Vic Beasley did in years past.

Maybe Sammy Watkins is going to be my love pick of the off-season, he's certainly got my juices flowing :x

6 hours ago, G08 said:

If we don’t go edge rusher at 8 then Edmunds is my guy too, but the idea of Landry and Floyd’s speed off the edge both on rookie deals makes my pants a little tighter. See a lot of Vic Beasley in Landry, but with more stand up versatility. Also I really like some of the ILB who might be there in round 2 like Vander Esch, Malik Jefferson and possibly Evans where I’m not really enamored with the later on edge guys as every down players. There’s a market surplus to be exploited in the draft at ILB and WR in my opinion but very much the opposite at edge. 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

If we don’t go edge rusher at 8 then Edmunds is my guy too, but the idea of Landry and Floyd’s speed off the edge both on rookie deals makes my pants a little tighter. See a lot of Vic Beasley in Landry, but with more stand up versatility. Also I really like some of the ILB who might be there in round 2 like Vander Esch, Malik Jefferson and possibly Evans where I’m not really enamored with the later on edge guys as every down players. There’s a market surplus to be exploited in the draft at ILB and WR in my opinion but very much the opposite at edge. 

I like Edmunds as an EDGE rusher though my man :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

I like Edmunds as an EDGE rusher though my man :ph34r:

I’m game for that too but he’s more of a projection there IMO. Those are my two guys at 8 though regardless of what happens between now and draft day. 

4 hours ago, G08 said:

Maybe Sammy Watkins is going to be my love pick of the off-season, he's certainly got my juices flowing :x

Funny comment. Delete.  Funny comment. Delete.  Stupid PC world.  Soft ball right over the plate.  

Archived