Total Control Mock Draft X2 - Build Discussion

ny92mike

NOTE: This thread is not the sign up thread so please don't turn it into that.

NFL Total Control GM Mock Draft - the second chapter discussion thread.

Those that would like to get involved with the building of the next mock, this is where we will discuss rule changes, workbook layout, scheduling, duties and whatever else we need to sort out for this upcoming mock draft.

@Forge

@BringinDaPain

@EaglesPeteC

@Counselor

@NickChowaniec

@Desperado82

@BowserBroncos

@Fragafootball

@sparky151

The list of names above are the ones that commented either in the forum or pm about being willing to help out.

The mission is to squeeze another mock draft in roughly two weeks before the irl draft starts, estimated start date for this will be Apr. 12th and will run up to the 25th.

The idea is to pull the rosters from OTC as close to the start date as possible so that most of the irl transactions will be added leaving a smaller free agency to work with. 

We won't be including the following transactions in this mock:

• Erfa
  • Rfa
  • Tenders
  • Tags
  • Will discuss any other types to include in this discussion.

The plan is to run both the free agency and the draft at the same time.  With a day off between each round of fa bidding.

Some topics for discussion include:

1. Determine what role you guys best fit in helping me manage this mock draft.
  2. An higher APY decrease after each round of bidding (current is 10%, suggested is 15%).
  3. Limit contract lengths to 5 year max.
  4. Adjustments to the formula to determine high bid.
  5. Adjustments to restructure and extensions in both the volume of these transactions as well as the criteria used for determining which players can or cannot have their contract adjusted.
  6. Allowing teams to know if there contract is within the top 3 to 5 amount offered.
  7. Allowing teams to know if one of their reserve bids is being followed by another team.
  8. Providing a what if situation if a team is wanting to make an offer on two players at one position with the option to send one back should they land both.
  9. Look for ways to enhance the trade block.
  10. Figure out if the team's private roster workbook can be restructured to make it easier to manage. 

If you have other suggestions we can discuss those too.

For formula I think the solution (more so than limited to 5 year max deals) is to divide base salary by years -- making it APY based instead of total money based. That solves the Bell 3year/4year issue and the Keenum 2year/3year issue. I think the rest of the formula could remain the same including 6 year deals although they are uncommon in the NFL.

If a APY instead of total base salary is implemented, and it weakens longer term deals too much, a small multiplier could be added for each additional year that has some number of guarantees (unguaranteed years count for nothing outside of APY manipulation).  For example 8 mil year one 10 year two 12 year three is APY 10mil. Mirror that against 6mil 8mil 12mil 16mil 22mil would be near 13mil APY, but if the guaranteed years are counted (6-16 assumed to have guarantees here) the APY is 10.5mil. I think that could be argued at close to the 3 year deal and arguably a winner -- but not because of the 22mil year (which wouldn't be calculated because no guarantees).

If the second deal was somewhat less like 9.5mil APY, but had an additional 4th year comparred to the 10mil APY 3 year deal, then a 1.05 multiplier for each additional year would make the APY competitive (9.97 adjusted for the 4y/9.5mil APY v. the 3y/10mil APY).  If it was two years longer then a 1.10 multiplier would adjust the 9.5mil APY deal to 10.45 for the two extra years.

I agree with Trojan on the contract award rules.

I don't think we should have restructures or extensions at all in the second mock. Teams will have either done them or decided not to compromise their future cap already.

On 3/6/2018 at 7:25 AM, bcb1213 said:

i'm more than happy to help, i'm just not awesome at google sheets so if there's something else i can do to help let me know

Would you be willing to try and manage the waiver wire?  I can get them in there and the formulas do it all except add them to the team or UFA once the 48 hr. window has expired.

I could show you how to manage it without much trouble.

On 3/5/2018 at 7:07 PM, Trojan said:

For formula I think the solution (more so than limited to 5 year max deals) is to divide base salary by years -- making it APY based instead of total money based. That solves the Bell 3year/4year issue and the Keenum 2year/3year issue. I think the rest of the formula could remain the same including 6 year deals although they are uncommon in the NFL.

If a APY instead of total base salary is implemented, and it weakens longer term deals too much, a small multiplier could be added for each additional year that has some number of guarantees (unguaranteed years count for nothing outside of APY manipulation).  For example 8 mil year one 10 year two 12 year three is APY 10mil. Mirror that against 6mil 8mil 12mil 16mil 22mil would be near 13mil APY, but if the guaranteed years are counted (6-16 assumed to have guarantees here) the APY is 10.5mil. I think that could be argued at close to the 3 year deal and arguably a winner -- but not because of the 22mil year (which wouldn't be calculated because no guarantees).

If the second deal was somewhat less like 9.5mil APY, but had an additional 4th year comparred to the 10mil APY 3 year deal, then a 1.05 multiplier for each additional year would make the APY competitive (9.97 adjusted for the 4y/9.5mil APY v. the 3y/10mil APY).  If it was two years longer then a 1.10 multiplier would adjust the 9.5mil APY deal to 10.45 for the two extra years.

Lot of numbers, lets get a sample workbook built so I can really see what you're suggesting.

8 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I agree with Trojan on the contract award rules.

I don't think we should have restructures or extensions at all in the second mock. Teams will have either done them or decided not to compromise their future cap already.

This really depends on how the caps look when we get ready to start.  I know that most of you guys want to reduce the number and I do too, but if a team has a million bucks starting out it may be hard to find a gm willing to manage the team without knowing they can free up some money.

But yes, we can look into this.  I'd like to see more teams giving extensions to players they acquire via trade.  I've seen a slew of trades in the current mock that these players would expect an extension when moved with one year remaining and without any guarantees.

On 3/5/2018 at 11:18 AM, ny92jefferis said:

Some topics for discussion include:

1. Determine what role you guys best fit in helping me manage this mock draft.
  2. An higher APY decrease after each round of bidding (current is 10%, suggested is 15%).
  3. Limit contract lengths to 5 year max.
  4. Adjustments to the formula to determine high bid.
  5. Adjustments to restructure and extensions in both the volume of these transactions as well as the criteria used for determining which players can or cannot have their contract adjusted.
  6. Allowing teams to know if there contract is within the top 3 to 5 amount offered.
  7. Allowing teams to know if one of their reserve bids is being followed by another team.
  8. Providing a what if situation if a team is wanting to make an offer on two players at one position with the option to send one back should they land both.
  9. Look for ways to enhance the trade block.
  10. Figure out if the team's private roster workbook can be restructured to make it easier to manage. 

Of the following topics can we all agree on the following.

• An higher APY decrease after each round of bidding (current is 10%, suggested is 15%)
    • I know that in the current mock that it seems to be taking longer than I'd like for values to decrease.
  • Limit contract lengths to 5 year max for UFA/Resign.
    • This would solve the massive contract that Solder received.  Also, teams or agents or both are moving to a max 5 year.  Tagged players are still getting the longer deals but for good reason, they are elite.

@Forge

@BringinDaPain

@EaglesPeteC

@Counselor

@NickChowaniec

@Desperado82

@BowserBroncos

@Fragafootball

@sparky151

@PurpleMugen

@bcb1213

If you want to be added to this list let me know.

55 minutes ago, ny92jefferis said:

Would you be willing to try and manage the waiver wire?  I can get them in there and the formulas do it all except add them to the team or UFA once the 48 hr. window has expired.

I could show you how to manage it without much trouble.

Shouldn't be a problem 

20 hours ago, ny92jefferis said:

Of the following topics can we all agree on the following.

• An higher APY decrease after each round of bidding (current is 10%, suggested is 15%)
    • I know that in the current mock that it seems to be taking longer than I'd like for values to decrease.
  • Limit contract lengths to 5 year max for UFA/Resign.
    • This would solve the massive contract that Solder received.  Also, teams or agents or both are moving to a max 5 year.  Tagged players are still getting the longer deals but for good reason, they are elite.

@Forge

@BringinDaPain

@EaglesPeteC

@Counselor

@NickChowaniec

@Desperado82

@BowserBroncos

@Fragafootball

@sparky151

@PurpleMugen

@bcb1213

If you want to be added to this list let me know.

bump

Archived