CB Leonard Johnson - 3 year deal

QB/WR/KR Joe Webb - 1 year deal

Free Agents:

DT Bennie Logan - 4 year deal

RB Dion Lewis - 1 year deal

WR Jaron Brown - 1 year deal

QB Teddy Bridgewater - 1 year deal

Trades:

Bills trade QB Tyrod Taylor to Arizona for a 2018 6th and 2019 5th.

NFL Draft:

Round 1 Pick 21: Buffalo selects DT Harrison Phillips Stanford 
- I have Kyle Williams retiring in this scenario. Even if that does not happen the Bills will need to ultimately replace him and find someone to split snaps with him. Who else is better to replace him then his clone? Mike Mayock during the combine compared the two and the fit is just perfect for Buffalo. He can be a day one starter next to Logan and help the Bills resolve their run defense issues. 

Pick 22: Buffalo selects QB Lamar Jackson Louisville
- Bridgewater was signed to a prove it deal that benefits both the Bills and himself. Whether or not he returns to form remains to be seen, but having Jackson come in and sit a year behind a former protege and a QB with lots of experience under center in Peterman would be very beneficial for Lamar. He is a great athlete with great arm strength. His ball placement is more of an issue then his actual accuracy and where he really needs to refined himself is from working under center and throwing with anticipation. Both coachable traits.  

Round 2 Pick 53: Buffalo selects OC/OG Billy Price Ohio St.
- His unfortunate injury at the combine becomes Buffalo's fortune as he drops down into round 2 and lands in Buffalo's lap. Price could likely start at either C or RG if Groy and Miller don't perform up to expectations. Or, he can get acclimated to the speed of the game and be ready to go in 2019 where Incognito, Groy and Miller are all free agents.

Pick 56: Buffalo selects DE Sam Hubbard Ohio St.
- Bills go back to back Buckeyes in the second filling wholes in the trenches. Hubbard is a classic try hard who's production was never sexy but he got his job done. Bills need depth and potentially two starters at the position past this year. 

Round 3:
*Bills trade pick 96 and 123 to CAR for pick 86. Buffalo selects CB M.J Stewart North Carolina
- This guy may be the best zone cover corner in the draft. Not sure why he isn't getting the love but this is the prototypical player McDermott wants. High character, Senior, scheme versatile (could play safety) and very aggressive in the run game. 

Round 5 Pick 160: Buffalo selects LB Mike McCray Michigan
- McCray is someone the Bills have shown interest in. He won't solve the Bills LB issues but he does add depth and could allow Alexander to flourish on passing downs. 

Pick 170: Buffalo selects TE David Wells San Diego St.
- It may not be long before Charles Clay is gone from Buffalo. For this year at least, Wells adds another body who is a very good blocker and could be a redzone option. 

Round 6 Pick 192: Buffalo selects WR Allen Lazard Iowa St.
- Another player Buffalo seemed interested in during the senior bowl. Lazard ran well at the combine so he may be taken before this, but for now I think the 6th round is a good spot for him. 

Depth Chart:

QB: Bridgewater, Peterman, Jackson
RB: McCoy, Lewis, Cadet, Murphy
FB: Dimarco
WR: Benjamin, Jones, Brown, Holmes, Reilly, Webb, Lazzard
TE: Clay, O'Leary, Wells, Thomas
LT: Glenn
LG: Incognito
C: Groy, Price
RG: Miller
RT: Dawkins, Mills, McDermott

DE: Hughes, Hubbard
1T: Logan, Hatley
3T: Phillips, Washington
DE: Lawson, Davis, Yarborough
WLB: Milano, Lacey
MLB: Brown
SLB: Alexander, McCray
CB: White, Davis, Johnson, Stewart, Borders, UDFA
FS: Poyer, Anderson
SS: Hyde, Thomas

K: Haushcka
P: Schmidt 
LS: Reid

Thoughts? @LeeEvans @marshawn lynch @soflbillsfan @bigbadbuff23835 @The BILLievers etc etc

Posted (edited)

Really good mid round, and i love the Dion Lewis addition through free agency. Would be a great backfield we’d be fielding next year.

Leads me to Lamar. I really can’t decide on him. On one hand his athleticism is obviously incredible and if he could run some RPO’s he could take off and be what RG3 was going to be, but i really really really want us to trade up and get one of the top 4 QB’s. I feel almost disrespectful to Lamar, but the passing abilities of the other four are so much more intriguing 

@Trentwannabe

Edited by bigbadbuff23835

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Bills re-sign:

LB Preston Brown - 1 year deal.

Free Agents:

Trades:

NFL Draft:

- I have Kyle Williams retiring in this scenario. Even if that does not happen the Bills will need to ultimately replace him and find someone to split snaps with him. Who else is better to replace him then his clone? Mike Mayock during the combine compared the two and the fit is just perfect for Buffalo. He can be a day one starter next to Logan and help the Bills resolve their run defense issues. 

- Bridgewater was signed to a prove it deal that benefits both the Bills and himself. Whether or not he returns to form remains to be seen, but having Jackson come in and sit a year behind a former protege and a QB with lots of experience under center in Peterman would be very beneficial for Lamar. He is a great athlete with great arm strength. His ball placement is more of an issue then his actual accuracy and where he really needs to refined himself is from working under center and throwing with anticipation. Both coachable traits.  

- His unfortunate injury at the combine becomes Buffalo's fortune as he drops down into round 2 and lands in Buffalo's lap. Price could likely start at either C or RG if Groy and Miller don't perform up to expectations. Or, he can get acclimated to the speed of the game and be ready to go in 2019 where Incognito, Groy and Miller are all free agents.

- Bills go back to back Buckeyes in the second filling wholes in the trenches. Hubbard is a classic try hard who's production was never sexy but he got his job done. Bills need depth and potentially two starters at the position past this year. 

Round 3:
*Bills trade pick 96 and 123 to CAR for pick 86. Buffalo selects CB M.J Stewart North Carolina
- This guy may be the best zone cover corner in the draft. Not sure why he isn't getting the love but this is the prototypical player McDermott wants. High character, Senior, scheme versatile (could play safety) and very aggressive in the run game. 

- McCray is someone the Bills have shown interest in. He won't solve the Bills LB issues but he does add depth and could allow Alexander to flourish on passing downs. 

- It may not be long before Charles Clay is gone from Buffalo. For this year at least, Wells adds another body who is a very good blocker and could be a redzone option. 

- Another player Buffalo seemed interested in during the senior bowl. Lazard ran well at the combine so he may be taken before this, but for now I think the 6th round is a good spot for him. 

Depth Chart:

Thoughts? @LeeEvans @marshawn lynch @soflbillsfan @bigbadbuff23835 @The BILLievers etc etc

Not a bad draft IMO, although I am not completely sold on Phillips. He is more like a second rounder for me, but who knows?

Teddy scares the h-ll out of me, he has a weaker arm which could spell trouble in our weather, but I can see us drafting Jackson, although a guy like Jackson re: Watson, you build your offense around and start from day one as your starter. Since he will need an unique offense designed for him, there would be no purpose in sitting him!

As a side note, it is pretty hard to get a FA on a one year deal, minimum is usually 3 years, although not all the money is guaranteed.

Edited by Iamcanadian

3 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Really good mid round, and i love the Dion Lewis addition through free agency. Would be a great backfield we’d be fielding next year.

Leads me to Lamar. I really can’t decide on him. On one hand his athleticism is obviously incredible and if he could run some RPO’s he could take off and be what RG3 was going to be, but i really really really want us to trade up and get one of the top 4 QB’s. I feel almost disrespectful to Lamar, but the passing abilities of the other four are so much more intriguing 

@Trentwannabe

It's a tough call, but it is quite possible that Jackson turns out to be the star of the QB class, but it will take a gutsy GM and HC to possibly pull it off.

I like it more than I expected to after seeing the way you handled the QB situation. I'm not a big fan of Bridgewater as a player in the slightest and taking up cap on a middle of a road QB is ideal for me but when paired with drafting Lamar Jackson I can stomach it quite a bit more. I'd much rather have Rosen or Mayfield but Lamar Jackson is probably going to be much realistic and reasonable get. As long as we have a coordinator who can scheme an offense to his talents I think he could have success in Buffalo. 

I love the mid round picks and I think the free agent pickups are realistic and quality. I'm not really sure how much it improves the team but I think this is going to be a bit of a transition year.

6 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Since he will need an unique offense designed for him, there would be no purpose in sitting him!

I think the purpose would be letting him get into an NFL weight room and continue to progress as a passer/working from center. Although much like the Watson scenario, I could see Jackson starting sooner than later as a rookie. 

7 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

I like it more than I expected to after seeing the way you handled the QB situation. I'm not a big fan of Bridgewater as a player in the slightest and taking up cap on a middle of a road QB is ideal for me but when paired with drafting Lamar Jackson I can stomach it quite a bit more. I'd much rather have Rosen or Mayfield but Lamar Jackson is probably going to be much realistic and reasonable get. As long as we have a coordinator who can scheme an offense to his talents I think he could have success in Buffalo. 

I love the mid round picks and I think the free agent pickups are realistic and quality. I'm not really sure how much it improves the team but I think this is going to be a bit of a transition year.

I am not a huge Teddy fan myself but what he did as a rookie without AP and then in his second year with a rookie Diggs as his number 1 target, I think he is an over achiever who is looking to prove a lot of people wrong. 

I too would love Rosen or Mayfield but as you said, this is likely a transition year and I'm not sold that Beane will sell all these assets for any of the QB's. I believe a draft and free agency period like this allows the Bills to get younger at key positions (OL/DL/QB) while also staying competitive and building for the future. 

33 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I am not a huge Teddy fan myself but what he did as a rookie without AP and then in his second year with a rookie Diggs as his number 1 target, I think he is an over achiever who is looking to prove a lot of people wrong. 

I too would love Rosen or Mayfield but as you said, this is likely a transition year and I'm not sold that Beane will sell all these assets for any of the QB's. I believe a draft and free agency period like this allows the Bills to get younger at key positions (OL/DL/QB) while also staying competitive and building for the future. 

I can certainly see the logic in that. I'd feel pretty content if our off-season shakes out like this. I'd like to swing for the fences but it's probably going to be the reasonable thing to expect. 

On 3/5/2018 at 9:56 PM, Trentwannabe said:

Bills re-sign:

LB Preston Brown - 1 year deal.

Free Agents:

Trades:

NFL Draft:

Round 3:

Depth Chart:

Phillips is now getting early second round ratings but Jackson now seems a concentsus pick for us !

Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2018 at 2:08 AM, Iamcanadian said:

It's a tough call, but it is quite possible that Jackson turns out to be the star of the QB class, but it will take a gutsy GM and HC to possibly pull it off.

I doubt it. His career passing % is sub 60%. Only one player with that low of a passing percentage to make it as a big time QB is Matthew Stafford. It’s the same reason I don’t like Allen. They all look good at the combine without 300 lb linemen bearing down on them. 

Edited by Hootlander1

On 3/6/2018 at 5:30 AM, LeeEvans said:

Lamar Jackson + Daboll...of the Alabama Daboll's. o.O I honestly don't feel that is a good match. And I've already mentioned my distaste for trying to make QB's out of athletic threats. I just hope we can find a better option than Lamar.

I am good with Teddy Bridgewater, dont see Dion Lewis signing with bills after Ivory signed but I assume this was done before the signing. I do not see Preston Brown taking a 1 year deal especially with so many needy teams for linebacker. Leonard Johnson would likely sign for a 1 year vet deal.

Harrison is graded as a 2nd rd and I think the bills can land him at 53 and if people are scared of billy price then pick 56 (back up would be will hernandez if price is gone) would be a good spot for him as well. My concern is you only drafted one DT and the bills desperately need multiple DTs to start as well as depth. Would like to see if Daron or Vea were there at 21 and draft one there as well as harrison in the 2nd rd. Not a big fan of Lamar Jackson at all he is to inaccurate and at the combine it showed even in a dome without pads on and zero players coming at him he was throwing high and behind or short and low. He is a project and would hate to take something like that in round 1 especially with watching tyrod have those same issues for the last 3 years. He has good abilities but I do not know about him being worth the 1st rd pick. Lat thing is Beane find picks precious and I think he would rather stay pat and go BPA at that then move up while having to give up more picks. If anything I can see him moving down to pick up more picks as the bills need alot of players this year as 18 are free agents including several starters. 

Teddy Bridgewater does not have the arm strength to play in Buffalo, he was barely OK inside Minny's dome, but playing outside in Buffalo's weather, it would be ugly.

However I have some good news, assuming Darnold, Rosen and Allen are all off the board after a number of trades and the Jets and Denver get their guys, it is quite possible around the 10 to 12th pick, that Mayfield will be up for grabs in a trade and we and Arizona will vie for him. We have a lot of ammunition over Arizona and the cost will not be that prohibitive to move up from 21 to say 11 with Jackson as the possibility for the loser, not a totally terrible scenario.

Now if either the Giants or the Colts actually draft a QB, then all bets are off as either or both of the jEts and Denver will enter the bidding for mayfield and their top 5 to 6 numbered pick will be way more valuable that #21 and #22 put together. Then Arizona will take either Jackson or Rudolph, unless they settle for Keenum, a real possibility, otherwise we get the leftovers???