Post Combine Mock

rampantjet

I am operating under the assumption that Kirk Cousins will be a Viking.  It just makes to much sense, they have enough money, they have the team in place, and there are reports that he likes it there. 

Also Denver signs Case Keenum.  They know that their win now window is closing and they are banking on the fact that Keenum isn't just a flash in the pan, and can make a run with another good D and 2 good WR's behind him like he did in Minn.

Remaining Cuts:

Skrine- Can't get him gone fast enough

Carpenter- Doesn't fit the new scheme and had a down year last year

Devin Smith- If a Devin Smith falls in the forest does anyone hear it..... or care?

Bryce Petty- Cause terrible at football

100.4 mill in cap space

Resigning's:

Demario Davis- Wants 8-10 million, but realizes no one else is willing to pay him that.  He settles for 7 mill per

Quincy Enunwa-  Gets the 2nd round tender.  Definitely talented enough and worth bringing back to kick the tires on that injury 2.9 mill

Eric Tomlinson-  Good blocker, capable receiver and best of all cheap 630k per

Free agency:  Well we said we were going to be busy.... and we saved some money by not signing Cousins

Allen Robinson New reports are out, and it really sounds like he is hitting the market.  This is the one guy I am willing to over pay for.  Mostly because I don't think it will end up being an over pay.  I loved him coming out of Penn St. I still love him after seeing what he was capable of with Bortles throwing balls in his general direction 14 mill per

Andrew Norwell-  We need to make a statement with our O line.  If we want to establish the run for real we need to revamp.  We sign the best OG on the market.  11 mill per

Weston Richburg-  We get our C.  This one seems fairly likely from the reports.  Our interior O line is much improved now.  8 mill per

Trent Murphy-   Been missing a pass rush for years.  Kid is coming off an injury but had a 9 sack season the year before and seemed to be rounding into form.  He signs a one year prove it deal for a reasonable 7 mill per

EJ Gaines-  Now is when we get really serious about rebuilding our secondary.  We start here with Gaines.  Played some seriously solid ball last year.  11 mill per

Malcolm Butler-  Oh you didn't think we were done did you?  This one just seems like something that will happen.  Had a down year last year but i think Old Bill did his best to motivate Butler going into the offseason.  In 2016 he was the #2 rated CB in football, we hope to get that back.  At very least we get a guy fired up to take it to the Pats twice per year.  9 mill per

Aaron Colvin-  Oh you thought we were done that time too?  Nope, we completely overhaul our CB group.  We wanna lock guys down, and Colvin was as good as it gets in the slot last year.  8 mill per

After all of that revamping we are left with 27 mill in cap space.  Even if you think some of these deals aren't enough (I think they are fairly realistic) we have 27 mill more to make these happen.  For those of you worried about cap hell later on, with these deals in place we will still have 75 mill in cap space next year.  Lots of dead money coming off the books.  We are sitting pretty.

Draft:

1. Browns: Josh Allen QB-  There is some Saquon buzz for them after the combine, but that will fade come the draft.  I think Allen's throwing performance at the combine, and then watching him throw the ball like 90 yards at his pro day will seduce Dorsey into making the pick.... thank god.

2. Giants:  Saquon Barkley RB-  I think they get some trade offers but find the idea of having OBJ and Saquon in the same offense too intriguing.

3. *TRADE* Bills:  Sam Darnold QB-  The Bills package a bunch of picks to move up to #3.  I considered having us move up here for Darnold but every situation involved us giving up our 2019 1st, and I don't like Darnold that much more than the other guys still out there. 

4. Browns:  Minkah Fitzpatrick CB/S-  They need as many good players as they can get.  Not sure where they play him but he adds tons of playmaking ability to their D.

5.  *TRADE* Cardinals:  Josh Rosen QB:  The Cards have been vocal about doing what they need to do to solve the QB position.  With only 20 mill in cap space they have to make moves in the draft as opposed to FA to make this happen.  

6. Jets:  Broadway Baker Mayfield QB:  Jets get the guy who I think they have pretty high on their boards anyway and without having to trade up.  Brings the swagger and confidence to woo the NY media, something sorely lacking in Sanchez, Geno, Petty, and Hack.  Also he brings the most accurate arm and arguably the best mental processor to NY.  He goes through progressions super fast.  Already looks off the deep Safety, and can make some things happen with his legs in a pinch.  I am not concerned at all about his height.  He almost never gets balls batted down, and seems to be able to see over the line and find open guys.

2nd Round

37. Jets:  Mike Gesicki TE:  Kid certainly moved up draft boards.  I normally don't fall for the combine stats, but he also has insanely good hands.  The 4.54 40 and 41 inch vert are just a bonus.  We have needed a mismatch at TE for a long long time, and we finally get one.  Baker loves targeting his TE on seam routes... this could be a match made in heaven.  Some might argue that he doesn't make it this far but if he slips out of the first round the teams in front of us in the 2nd are solidified at TE, so he has a chance to fall.

49. Jets Rashaad Penny RB:  His 4.46 40 moved him up draft boards, and really answered some questions about his athleticism.  Still think he has the best vision in the draft.  We use him as a 2 down back with Bilal doing 3rd downs until Penny can put in some serious work on his pass blocking.  

3rd Round

72. Jets:  Uchenna Nwosu OLBer:  Love this guy.  Seems to have an amazing knack for batting down passes.  Proved to have nice ability at 6'2 251 with a 4.65 40, and long arms.  Had 9.5 sacks to go with 13 batted balls

4th Round 

107. Jets: Nathan Shepard DT/DE:  This kid only falls due to the fact that he comes from Fort Hays St.  Late to the game of football, from Canada, but man is he a monster.  Got used to dominating lower levels of comp against double and triple teams.  6'4 315 lbs with no fat on him, he moves like a much smaller guy.  Strong as hell, and needs some time to learn.  Worst case scenario he is a strong big bodied athletic dude to put on the line.  Best case he develops into an absolute monster.

That is all I have for now.  Feel free to praise the perfection of this mock below.

4 hours ago, xenajets said:

Yeah I like this a lot from a positional point of view. I prefer different players in the positions you’ve gone with in FA and Draft but all in all would be happy! 

Who would you switch out?  

8 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

You're certainly a little light on the CB FA contracts.  Butler is not getting 9M.  Think 13M+ for Gaines and Butler.  Overall like the positions and love Mayfield so I approve.

They might both get a bit more.  13 mill for Gaines sounds reasonable, but for Butler after a down year and getting sat in the super bowl by the best coach in the league?  If that doesn't knock down your FA value then I don't know what does.  Say he gets 11 mill per, that sounds more reasonable, we still end up with 23 mill in cap space, and 71 next year.

8 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

They might both get a bit more.  13 mill for Gaines sounds reasonable, but for Butler after a down year and getting sat in the super bowl by the best coach in the league?  If that doesn't knock down your FA value then I don't know what does.  Say he gets 11 mill per, that sounds more reasonable, we still end up with 23 mill in cap space, and 71 next year.

Guys always get overpaid in FA.  Not that it couldn't be done with a few more million on these guys so it's a not a big deal but figured I'd point it out.

22 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Guys always get overpaid in FA.  Not that it couldn't be done with a few more million on these guys so it's a not a big deal but figured I'd point it out.

I agree that guys get overpaid in FA. But I think CB won’t really spike this FA period. Reason being the amount of good CBs available. Johnson, Fuller, Butler, Gaines are all going to get paid. I think they all get around 10-13mill.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

I agree that guys get overpaid in FA. But I think CB won’t really spike this FA period. Reason being the amount of good CBs available. Johnson, Fuller, Butler, Gaines are all going to get paid. I think they all get around 10-13mill.

I think 12M is the low end.  If you can get them for less than I think you did well.

if Barkley Darnold Rosen and Allen are not there at 6 take bpa  Chubb or trade down and pick up extra picks. Like Buffalo for example may want Baker and they at willing to trade picks #21 #22 AND NEXT YEARS #2.

4 minutes ago, jets1970 said:

if Barkley Darnold Rosen and Allen are not there at 6 take bpa  Chubb or trade down and pick up extra picks. Like Buffalo for example may want Baker and they at willing to trade picks #21 #22 AND NEXT YEARS #2.

No you take the 2nd best QB prospect in the draft in Baker and not help Buffalo get their Franchise QB. Allen is trash he's athletic with a cannon but is inaccurate as hell and didn't elevate his team the same way a Carson Wentz did at a small school to really justify taking him high.

Archived