Derek Barnett Rookie Year Thread

Phire

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

@TheRealMcCoy you coming around on Derek yet? Kid seems to be good at football. 

Yeah, I'm definitely coming around.

I really like what I've seen so far, but I don't want to come to any big conclusions based off limited snaps against questionable offensive tackles.

Having good success against back-ups is what a first round pass rusher like Barnett should be doing, so he's on the right track.

You have to be excited by the motor he shows out there. I'm sure that aspect of his game must remind Brandon Graham of himself.

Speaking of earning the respect of veterans. I think it was Mayock who brought up during the game how when they interviewed Jernigan he was very laid back until they asked him about Barnett which made him smile and just tell them how good he is gonna be. 

It really isn't surprising that such a hard worker like Derek is already making great impressions on his teammates.

As for the technical aspects of his game. I love how he rushes with a plan. A lot of young pass rushers don't do that. Derek isn't relying on his speed rush. He is switching it up. I remember how he talked in a post-game interview about his strategy from snap to snap which resulted in a sack against Buffalo. He mentioned how he used a power move inside cause the tackle overset him and then how on the next play the tackle was sitting down more cause he was probably expecting power, so he beat the tackle with speed around the edge.

It's a corny line, but the guy is just a football player. He's smart and will only get more crafty with how he rushes the QB as he gains experience.

A guy he reminds me of is Michael Bennett. I didn't even realize it until Jimmy Kempski wrote an article about who the rookies pattern their games after and Barnett talked about how he watches a lot of Bennett. After hearing that I just thought about the similarities between them. Neither tested great athletically. They both are tremendously hard workers. They are high football iq pass rushers. They have great motors. They both like to really try and time the snap count to get a good jump.

I think people forget that I just didn't like him at #14. I just thought he was more of a late first round or second round pick.

I'll gladly be wrong about #14 being too high and him not being better a better pick than guys I wanted us to take like Gareon Conley and O.J. Howard.

7 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

A lot of people had him top 10. Guy literally dominated the best conference in college. If anything the shock of drafting him at 14 was he was actually there. 

There was talk that a pass rusher like him or Charles Harris could go just before us, but it definitely wasn't gonna be a shock if he was available.

It's the best conference, but that doesn't mean it has the best tackles. Besides, production is an overrated way to evaluate a prospect when its without context.

I also questioned his ability to beat good NFL tackles with superior athleticism. Still need to see him do that consistently.

Also, I don't base my opinions on where some other people had him.

There were also people that had him in the range (late first to early second) where I had him too.

Hopefully the ones that had him as a top 10 talent are the ones that end up being right like I said in the last post.

2 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

There was talk that a pass rusher like him or Charles Harris could go just before us, but it definitely wasn't gonna be a shock if he was available.

It's the best conference, but that doesn't mean it has the best tackles. Besides, production is an overrated way to evaluate a prospect when its without context.

I also questioned his ability to beat good NFL tackles with superior athleticism. Still need to see him do that consistently.

Also, I don't base my opinions on where some other people had him.

There were also people that had him in the range (late first to early second) where I had him too.

Hopefully the ones that had him as a top 10 talent are the ones that end up being right like I said in the last post.

I saw almost every mock have him go to cinci at 9. I was actually surprised that didn't take him. 

Also I have never done much looking into it. But it seems to me most good nfl pass rushers had at least one year in college where they dominated. So i think success at the former level is some indicator of future success at the position. I mean if you can't be good at that level what the heck would make you good at it in the nfl? nothing?

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Phire said:

Barnett might be the least talked about Eagles first-round draft pick in my life. 

for real

Rook has been playing well for a position that usually doesn't show up for the first year.
Will have another year to grow in the 4 man rotation with Long, Brex and Vinny...will be interesting to see what he does in the offseason, cause if he gets into the weight room and comes back with a stronger bigger NFL body, he will push for more time if not start. Has shown great instincts.

4 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

The Eagles got a 1st and 4th for Bradford. The first Rounder they used on Barnett, the 4th Rounder was traded to the Dolphins for Ajayi

Howie you dog, you! 

i think the dolphins get whichever pick happens second so it will be the pick of whoever loses the superbowl but all 3 picks are back to back to back so close enough

Archived