Derek Barnett Rookie Year Thread

Phire

15 minutes ago, mm6492 said:

I see about 5.5 sacks. I think he will get a good amount of pressures but we have a deep DE rotation and sacks are generally challenging for a rookie

nope. 

See my post above. 

Its might be the easier thing for a rookie to do. 

A lot of that depends on playing time too though, example Corey Simon started 16 games his rookie year which is pretty incredible. Barnett isn't expected to start, and so he won't have as many chances. You never know with injuries and that RDE spot is kind of questionable with Long and Curry competing for the job. 

Just now, Phire said:

A lot of that depends on playing time too though, example Corey Simon started 16 games his rookie year which is pretty incredible. Barnett isn't expected to start, and so he won't have as many chances. You never know with injuries and that RDE spot is kind of questionable with Long and Curry competing for the job. 

Well i hope if we drafted the guy that high, he might have the potential to become a starter ASAP. 

LOL Eagles fans are so custom to drafting losers, we just don't expect anything from rookies, while the successful teams expect rookies to produce ASAP. 

1 minute ago, Bednarik60 said:

Well i hope if we drafted the guy that high, he might have the potential to become a starter ASAP. 

LOL Eagles fans are so custom to drafting losers, we just don't expect anything from rookies, while the successful teams expect rookies to produce ASAP. 

Yeah we're pretty much used to our first round DEs either getting shot or tearing knee ligaments.

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

That list of players you posted are outliers. Not the norm.

See my post above.

LOL really? You probably didn't even bother to click the article but cool story non the less. 

So you don't think Barnett is as special as Hugh Douglas or Yannick Ngakoue or Whitney Mercilus? 

Interesting. 

Didn't know we had such low expectation for Derek. 

Why did we draft him in the 1st round again? 

31 minutes ago, Bednarik60 said:

LOL really? You probably didn't even bother to click the article but cool story non the less. 

So you don't think Barnett is as special as Hugh Douglas or Yannick Ngakoue or Whitney Mercilus? 

Interesting. 

Didn't know we had such low expectation for Derek. 

Why did we draft him in the 1st round again? 

1.) I didn't want to take Barnett in the 1st round.

2.) I guess Ngakoue, Douglas, and Mercilus are better than the players I listed.

Sometimes lesser talents may end up with more sacks. It's a crap shoot.

There could be numerous reasons why. Maybe they got more pass rush snaps. Maybe they played with great d-linemen which took the focus off them. Maybe they faced a good number of mediocre to bad tackles. Maybe they got some free rushes due to miscommunication. 

Barnett is probably a guy that is going to average 6-9 sacks per year.

So, I'm not buying into him getting about what he'll average for his career as a rookie.

Who knows though... he got compared to Suggs and he got 12 sacks as a rookie. Granted he played on a great defense as a rookie.

28 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I'd have more faith in Barnett getting sacks as a rookie if he was the starter and we actually had corners that could give our rushers ample time to reach the passer.

Was just gonna say that coverage sacks are going to be rare for this defense. Every sack will have to basically be earned by the pass rush.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived