Tim Jernigan Receiving Tons of Praise

Phire

Apparently Jernigan dominated in the first full-contact practice of training camp.

hqdefault.jpg

Here are reports from multiple outlets...

On the flip side, new defensive tackle Tim Jernigan was stellar, appearing to be an upgrade in every way over the man he replaced, Bennie Logan, lost to free agency after four very good seasons with the Eagles.

Not only did Jernigan generate a good pass rush, but he was able to get off blocks to make plays against the run. More impressively, he stayed home when there were counters and reverses, playing like a veteran who’s seen and done it all.

On defense, the standout was free-agent pickup Tim Jernigan. He turned it up another level on Tuesday, making several big tackles in the run game. He's known as a better pass-rusher than the guy who he replaced (Bennie Logan), but Jernigan isn't bad against the run either. 

His new teammates have been impressed. 

"I think he's just a bulldog," Brandon Graham said of Jernigan. "That boy's out there, he's just coming. He's somebody who's an effort guy just like me. He has fun getting to the ball and he's brought a lot of energy. And that's what we need, especially playing up front. We need as much energy as we can."

Jernigan consistently pushed the pocket back. Not to be labeled just a pass rusher, Jernigan made plays against the run too. He made consecutive tackles during team period as he knifed his way into the backfield to take down the running back.

He made consecutive tackles during team period as he knifed his way into the backfield to take down the running back. Jernigan tracked down the running back from his defensive tackle position on the next play, stopping the runner from bouncing the play outside.

This could be huge especially given how bad our CBs project to be. The only way we mask that is with strong play up front.

It was a really nice underrated move.

I think statistically he might look better than Cox this year (largely due to Fletcher taking on the brunt of the attention from Olines)
But i think he'll shine in a one gap system like this

1 minute ago, Kiltman said:

It was a really nice underrated move.

I think statistically he might look better than Cox this year (largely due to Fletcher taking on the brunt of the attention from Olines)
But i think he'll shine in a one gap system like this

And all we did was swap 3rd round picks. That's a steal. And I trust Joe Douglas knows Jernigan's potential.

22 minutes ago, Phire said:

And all we did was swap 3rd round picks. That's a steal. And I trust Joe Douglas knows Jernigan's potential.

When you put it like that, yes its nothing. But the drop from 75 to 99 was a pretty damn big one and might be the difference between a Rasul Douglas or any of the below guys. I know there's quite a few higher rated CBs and even a few RBs that could have been a huge help to this current team.

3 74 Baltimore Ravens Chris Wormley  DE Michigan Big Ten from Philadelphia [R3 - 4]
  3 75 Atlanta Falcons Duke Riley  LB LSU SEC from Buffalo [R3 - 5]
  3 76 New Orleans Saints Alex Anzalone  LB Florida SEC  
  3 77 Carolina Panthers Daeshon Hall  DE Texas A&M SEC from Arizona [R3 - 6]
  3 78 Baltimore Ravens Tim Williams  OLB Alabama SEC  
  3 79 New York Jets ArDarius Stewart  WR Alabama SEC from Minnesota  [R3 - 7]
  3 80 Indianapolis Colts Tarell Basham  DE Ohio MAC  
  3 81 Washington Redskins Fabian Moreau  CB UCLA Pac-12  
  3 82 Denver Broncos Carlos Henderson  WR Louisiana Tech C-USA  
  3 83 New England Patriots Derek Rivers  DE Youngstown State MVFC from Tennessee [R3 - 8]
  3 84 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Chris Godwin  WR Penn State Big Ten  
  3 85 New England Patriots Antonio Garcia  OT Troy Sun Belt from Detroit [R3 - 9]
  3 86 Kansas City Chiefs Kareem Hunt  RB Toledo MAC from Miami via Minnesota [R3 - 10]
  3 87 New York Giants Davis Webb  QB California Pac-12  
  3 88 Oakland Raiders Eddie Vanderdoes  DT UCLA Pac-12  
  3 89 Houston Texans D'Onta Foreman  RB Texas Big 12  
  3 90 Seattle Seahawks Shaquill Griffin  CB UCF The American  
  3 91 Los Angeles Rams John Johnson  S Boston College ACC from Kansas City via Buffalo [R3 - 11]
  3 92 Dallas Cowboys Jourdan Lewis  CB Michigan Big Ten  
  3 93 Green Bay Packers Montravius Adams  DT Auburn SEC  
  3 94 Pittsburgh Steelers Cameron Sutton  CB Tennessee SEC  
  3 95 Seattle Seahawks Delano Hill  S Michigan Big Ten from Atlanta [R3 - 12]
  3 96 Detroit Lions Kenny Golladay  WR Northern Illinois MAC from New England [R3 - 13]
  3* 97 Miami Dolphins Cordrea Tankersley  CB Clemson ACC  
  3* 98 Arizona Cardinals Chad Williams  WR Grambling State SWAC from Carolina [R3 - 14]
  3* 99 Philadelphia Eagles Rasul Douglas  CB West Virginia Big 12

from Baltimore [R3 - 15]

21 minutes ago, marky_b27 said:

A nice deal to get him, lets make sure it isn't a 1 year rental.

This is the biggest part of the deal. One year of Jernigan is nice, I'm actually kind of hoping we lock him up longer term prior to the season. He's going to excel in this scheme.

Depends really what any of them become to make it seem like a lot worse than it was...and for all we know Rasul would've been one of theirs guys at the original pick. And if they all bust and he proves to be solid the perception goes the other way.

But I agree it's not nothing...trade value chart says we gave up a 3rd in value.
But we didn't lose a pick, just perceived value off of a pick so it's not quite the same thing.

At any rate with his skillset and how he's reportedly doing in this better fitting scheme it seems to be worth it.

29 minutes ago, Phire said:

I actually don't think the swap in 3rds is that big of a deal. There are certainly some nice RBs on that list but I'm fine with Rasul Douglas as our 3rd round pick.

Some potentially very good CB's too. If we lose Jernigan after this year the trade could look like a problem if Douglas doesn't turn out to be a quality starter.

• 4 weeks later...

"Naturally, this is a better fit, but I’ve always said that there are plenty of areas for me to improve,” Jernigan said after practice on Tuesday. “I’ve never said that I had it all figured out. You are never going to be where people fully imagine you to be.”

Schwartz is excited about getting Jernigan because of his disruptive traits as a pass rusher and run protector. He is pleased with Jernigan’s play as of late but admitted there are times when the fourth-year defensive tackle has reverted back to what he was taught to do in the Ravens’ two-gapping scheme.

“We went through a time in training camp where Timmy was in a revert-back-to-old-habits kind of thing,” Schwartz said during his Monday press conference. “He played at the line of scrimmage with his feet in cement and just leveraging blocks pretty much his whole NFL career. That’s the opposite of what we want. We want guys attacking and knocking guys back.”

Archived