The Jamal Adams Appreciation Thread

Bianconero

Why is Mayfield leaving tech such a big deal? Joe Flacco transferred out of Pitt after he didn't win the starting job. To a lot of guys especially at the collegiant level this isn't just a game it's a chance for them sto strike gold and make a great living/life. If Mayfield felt that a transfer to OU was the best thing for his career than I don't think you can blame him.

7 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Why is Mayfield leaving tech such a big deal? Joe Flacco transferred out of Pitt after he didn't win the starting job. To a lot of guys especially at the collegiant level this isn't just a game it's a chance for them sto strike gold and make a great living/life. If Mayfield felt that a transfer to OU was the best thing for his career than I don't think you can blame him.

Bobby keeps thinking Mayfield was a chicken because of Mahomes.  Actually, he was transferred from TT to OU before TT offered Machomes a full scholarship.  And ah, in his logic, we should have Davies Webb who stayed after losing the the starting job to Pat Mahomes until he made the graduate transfer.

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

I dont care who likes him that doesn't go to war with him everyday. Nobody likes Sidney Crosby, 3 Cups and 2 gold medals later...well who honestly cares. 

He had to fight for his job as a walk on for OSU...walked away from a scholarship and beat out two upper class-men. I'll take that guy EVERY day of the week. Not to mention you are absolutely speculating about his reasons for leaving TECH. If you dont like him thats fine, but you have no factual evidence to suggest that ALL of his peers hate him or that he left because of Techs recruiting class. However the fact that he left his scholarship and won the job at an even better school as a walk on IS fact. I respect your concerns about Baker Mayfield especially some of his on the field antics, but you cannot take away from him, his ability to compete and his will to succeed. Guy is a winner. 

People don’t like Brady or Crosby bc they win. Nothing personality wise really. I like using the Bryce Harper comparison more for Mayfield.

I’m a Tech alum. It was known by all people who knew Trch football that he left bc he didn’t want to battle for the QB job. Davis Webb was there and a top recruit in Mahomes was coming in (who most thought could win the job). You’re right Tech didn’t give him a scholarship at that time bc they have 2 good guys on scholarship that were young. I’m not saying that Baker leaving was a bad move. But a big part of why he left was that he didn’t want to compete with Mahomes and Webb for the job. Transferring to OU wound up being good for his career. I won’t question that at all. And I really don’t question him leaving Tech. The part I question is you have a arogant player that plays the game with no humility at all. And to have a QB (none the less) as a rookie with no humility is awful. Who knows he might get humbled quickly for all I know and he might be great. He also might be the guy he is now for the rest of his life and he will rub coaches, teammates and everyone around him nuts with his attitude. In HS and even college you can get away with that stuff bc you’re so good they can’t bench you. But as a rookie in the NFL that won’t fly. If drafted by the Jets I’d hope our defensive leaders would humble him in a HUGE way to completely change his attitude on the field. There’s no reason why he can’t play the game hard like he does (which is a big pro I like about him) but without being an arrogant jerk at the same time. He wants to play with an arogant attitude? Be a top QB in the NFL for 3+ yrs and we can talk.

22 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s a slap in the face to Adams to say he leads like Mayfield. Adams is a humble leader. Mayfield is a arrogant tool who leads by his play on the field.

Mayfield's teammates absolutely love him, it appears to be the same for Adams. 

On 2/2/2018 at 5:07 PM, Bobby816 said:

People don’t like Brady or Crosby bc they win. Nothing personality wise really. I like using the Bryce Harper comparison more for Mayfield.

I’m a Tech alum. It was known by all people who knew Trch football that he left bc he didn’t want to battle for the QB job. Davis Webb was there and a top recruit in Mahomes was coming in (who most thought could win the job). You’re right Tech didn’t give him a scholarship at that time bc they have 2 good guys on scholarship that were young. I’m not saying that Baker leaving was a bad move. But a big part of why he left was that he didn’t want to compete with Mahomes and Webb for the job. Transferring to OU wound up being good for his career. I won’t question that at all. And I really don’t question him leaving Tech. The part I question is you have a arogant player that plays the game with no humility at all. And to have a QB (none the less) as a rookie with no humility is awful. Who knows he might get humbled quickly for all I know and he might be great. He also might be the guy he is now for the rest of his life and he will rub coaches, teammates and everyone around him nuts with his attitude. In HS and even college you can get away with that stuff bc you’re so good they can’t bench you. But as a rookie in the NFL that won’t fly. If drafted by the Jets I’d hope our defensive leaders would humble him in a HUGE way to completely change his attitude on the field. There’s no reason why he can’t play the game hard like he does (which is a big pro I like about him) but without being an arrogant jerk at the same time. He wants to play with an arogant attitude? Be a top QB in the NFL for 3+ yrs and we can talk.

Or because he had no scholarship?  Also, Webb bailed as well, but nobody held that against him.  Guys transfer all the time.  To hold it against them is nonsense.  Also, in terms of rubbing people the wrong way; coaches, teammates, etc. love him.  Also, if you want more hated people, people think Travis Kelce is arrogant especially with his antics, dancing, etc.  Would you not take him on your team?

19 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Or because he had no scholarship?  Also, Webb bailed as well, but nobody held that against him.  Guys transfer all the time.  To hold it against them is nonsense.  Also, in terms of rubbing people the wrong way; coaches, teammates, etc. love him.  Also, if you want more hated people, people think Travis Kelce is arrogant especially with his antics, dancing, etc.  Would you not take him on your team?

Fun fact 2013 - Idzik over ruled the coaching staff who wanted to take Kelce in the 2nd round to help Sanchez but Geno Smith was "too valuable at that point" 

Fun fact 2014 - Idzik over ruled the coaching staff who wanted to take Jimmy G in the 2nd round and decided "we took a QB last year, we should take a TE this year" we took Jace Amaro.

We could have Jimmy G and Kelce if it weren't for Idzik.

9 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

Fun fact 2013 - Idzik over ruled the coaching staff who wanted to take Kelce in the 2nd round to help Sanchez but Geno Smith was "too valuable at that point" 

Fun fact 2014 - Idzik over ruled the coaching staff who wanted to take Jimmy G in the 2nd round and decided "we took a QB last year, we should take a TE this year" we took Jace Amaro.

We could have Jimmy G and Kelce if it weren't for Idzik.

Idzik made a ton of mistakes but all GM's do.  I remember us all wanting Ingram over Coples, Cooks over Pryor, Landry over Amaro, Moncrief over McDougle, etc.  To me, the one that hurts is the fact that Terry Bradway was rarely right, but he was right on Russell Wilson and the Jets didn't move up to get him because they had Sanchez and Tebow. They took Demario a few picks later.

4 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

So now we are just going down a jerks in the league list and saying we want them or not?!?!

10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

So now we are just going down a jerks in the league list and saying we want them or not?!?!

Why does it matter to you how much the opposing teams like a player? If Mayfields teammates and coaches love him then where is the negative? I find it far more alarming when your own teammates don't think highly of you.

13 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

Why does it matter to you how much the opposing teams like a player? If Mayfields teammates and coaches love him then where is the negative? I find it far more alarming when your own teammates don't think highly of you.

Bc his attitude was good in college bc he was the best player on his team maybe. The second he gets drafted... that’s not the case anymore. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say Mayfield is known for his humility. And that’s exactly what he’ll need coming in as a rookie among men. Who knows he can get humbled very quickly and be great. Or he can bring that arogant rookie attitude into the locker room and run people the wrong way. This isn’t college. This is the NFL and a profession. That type of attitude doesn’t fly as a rookie.

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Bc his attitude was good in college bc he was the best player on his team maybe. The second he gets drafted... that’s not the case anymore. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say Mayfield is known for his humility. And that’s exactly what he’ll need coming in as a rookie among men. Who knows he can get humbled very quickly and be great. Or he can bring that arogant rookie attitude into the locker room and run people the wrong way. This isn’t college. This is the NFL and a profession. That type of attitude doesn’t fly as a rookie.

That's nonsense man.  Did you see the senior bowl when he was rooting on Josh Allen?  He's not a punk.

13 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

That's nonsense man.  Did you see the senior bowl when he was rooting on Josh Allen?  He's not a punk.

Yea agree I don't think GMs are afraid of Mayfield's attitude at all. He walked on to 2 separate teams and killed it. 

3 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

Yea agree I don't think GMs are afraid of Mayfield's attitude at all. He walked on to 2 separate teams and killed it. 

Exactly.  There's been a ton of reports saying that his attitude isn't scaring people off either.  This guy wouldn't be talked about as a top 10 pick if he had major on or off-field concerns.  He had one off-field incident and while he has been immature at times on the field, everyone thinks he's coachable.  You look at a guy like Jameis.  Still immature on the field at times and does dumb things, but for the most part, he's been kept in check.  Just once in a blue moon, the team gets poor publicity.  If Mayfield can be a top 10 QB, even if he has incidents here or there, who cares as long as it's nothing major off the field.

Archived