The Coaches Want Rosen at 1?, & Other Serious Browns Draft Rumblings

Mind Character

5 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Lol...why not...blow it up again and bring back Phil Savage and have his number 2 be Michael Lombardi.

Jason LaCanfora would HATE that.

He hasn't had to work the last several years.

I can picture his day like this:  Hmmmmm, I need a story idea today.  ............ Oh yeah, I almost forgot that the Browns fired my buddy Michael.  The bastards.

CBSSPORTS

Jason LaCanfora

Insert date

"The Browns continue to wallow, screwed up again, are worthy of contraction, are the worst team of all time (spin the wheel, insert the rest of the negative Browns related comments."

We can't do that to such a fine journalist.

3 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Jason LaCanfora would HATE that.

He hasn't had to work the last several years.

I can picture his day like this:  Hmmmmm, I need a story idea today.  ............ Oh yeah, I almost forgot that the Browns fired my buddy Michael.  The bastards.

CBSSPORTS

Jason LaCanfora

Insert date

"The Browns continue to wallow, screwed up again, are worthy of contraction, are the worst team of all time (spin the wheel, insert the rest of the negative Browns related comments."

We can't do that to such a fine journalist.

LA confora sucks but all else is above post is true.

They should never have come back. They should be contracted. 

10 hours ago, Mind Character said:

That's not the scenario.

The Coaches, Wolf, and Berry have Rosen 1, Darnold 2, Jackson/Mayfield 3...

Dorsey, McCloughan, and Highsmith have Mayfield 1, Allen 2, Darnold 3....

Paul DePo & Kovash have it Mayfield 1, Rosen 2, Darnold...

Who do u fire then?

Or better...who is right?

You fire Haslam.

I think given these 3 options, the Coaches, Wolf, Berry are closest to having it right.

6 hours ago, buno67 said:

I say, this might be crazy, but I say, let’s take it all with a grain of salt until all the private workouts are completed. Everyone from coaches to FOs will be within arm distances of all the QBs in workouts, Drills, and Interviews. With it all being built around for the browns and not for the combine or a pro day. 

I agree, and truly hope all parties involved are objective professionals and are going to view and evaluate the pro days and private workouts as such, rather than through the lens of confirmation bias towards who may be their preference now. 

If that's the case, while I lean towards Darnold, I wouldn't be mad if the selection was Rosen or Mayfield. I would be mad if it was Chubb, simply because securing a QB is so important and we have the pick of the litter, and just being like "oh well, we can't decide so we'll take who falls to us at 4" would mean not only that there are too many cooks in the kitchen, but that the executive chef (Dorsey) isn't fit for the job of an executive, which is to filter through all of the advice of your capable lieutenants, and to then put your cajones on the the table and make the decison. If he can't do that with the most important pick for the most important position at this utterly critical time for the team, he has no business being our GM.

3 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

I agree, and truly hope all parties involved are objective professionals and are going to view and evaluate the pro days and private workouts as such, rather than through the lens of confirmation bias towards who may be their preference now. 

If that's the case, while I lean towards Darnold, I wouldn't be mad if the selection was Rosen or Mayfield. I would be mad if it was Chubb, simply because securing a QB is so important and we have the pick of the litter, and just being like "oh well, we can't decide so we'll take who falls to us at 4" would mean not only that there are too many cooks in the kitchen, but that the executive chef (Dorsey) isn't fit for the job of an executive, which is to filter through all of the advice of your capable lieutenants, and to then put your cajones on the the table and make the decison. If he can't do that with the most important pick for the most important position at this utterly critical time for the team, he has no business being our GM.

This.

The whole damned thing.

12 hours ago, bruceb said:

It is starting to sound like we definitely will screw this up and waste the draft pick largesse Sashi built.

Soooooooooooooo Browns.

Think I will start following SF.

I'm with you. This is a make it or break it draft for me. My Eagles just won a superbowl. Meanwhile my Browns went 0-16, hired a new GM and kept the 1-31 head coach... 

I have no problem with Rosen at #1 or Darnold. Both have great qualities you want in a QB. Rosen is more pro ready right now, while Darnold might not be as pro ready but has untapped potential. 

However if we take Chubb #1 when we need a QB and we have Barkley there then this would be a failure if you ask me. I hope they don't screw this up. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

7 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

Masterfully said sir. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

I just can’t see a guy like Dorsey, who traded UP for a QB last year when he had a Pro Bowler on the roster already not realizing that QB is the only option at 1.

LIS previously, I’m sure he likes getting his balls tickled by other GM’s with trade offers, but he’ll stay at one and pick his guy, and it won’t be anyone but a QB.

At 4 I could see just about anything happening, none of it bad.

There is no way jimmy doesn't let us select a QB at 1 after the Wentz fiasco.

I don't think Jimmy likes looking like a clown. 

Dorsey knows football management is unforgiving job. 

They are taking a QB. I hope it I  Darnold, I think he will be the best QB of this lot years 4-8+ Rosen has too many concussions for a guy who likes his brain. so Mayefeild is my second QB.

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I just can’t see a guy like Dorsey, who traded UP for a QB last year when he had a Pro Bowler on the roster already not realizing that QB is the only option at 1.

LIS previously, I’m sure he likes getting his balls tickled by other GM’s with trade offers, but he’ll stay at one and pick his guy, and it won’t be anyone but a QB.

At 4 I could see just about anything happening, none of it bad.

As long as it's Darnold or Rosen, in that order, I'm 100% on board with whatever happens after #1, even if it's Chubb, who I'm not the biggest fan of. At least we'd be attempting to establish some type of an identity, something that we haven't tried to do since the Edwards/KWII days in 2005-2007.

Just curious, who has more weight in draft decisions in CLE? I've always assumed Mayfield or Rosen would be there for the Jets, but reading through this thread, sounds like one of those two guys is going first overall. 

Edit: Didn't Hue want Wentz but the FO said no and they didn't think Wentz would be a top QB? Were those rumors true?

32 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Just curious, who has more weight in draft decisions in CLE? I've always assumed Mayfield or Rosen would be there for the Jets, but reading through this thread, sounds like one of those two guys is going first overall. 

Edit: Didn't Hue want Wentz but the FO said no and they didn't think Wentz would be a top QB? Were those rumors true?

Long story short, absolutely not. That was this year that the story broke. Hue thought that Wentz's delivery was too long and was "unimpressed" two years ago. But, "The ground moved" when RGIII worked out in front of him.

31 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Just curious, who has more weight in draft decisions in CLE? I

That's the million dollar question. For the last 3 years, our GM (including the new one) has had the title of having final say of the roster, though if you listen to some, Hue made all the draft calls (or at least the bad QB ones). Why is it so confusing? Because our gas pumpin', itchy trigger fingered owner also has the Head Coach reporting in a direct line to him along with the GM. No one can answer your question with certainty even about the past, let alone speculate how it is now with the Front Office shakeup. I fervently hope the final call is the GM Dorsey's, as it rightfully should have been Sashi's.

35 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Hue apparently (per his buddy Mike Silver) liked Wentz but not enough to take him at 2.

Hue also preferred taking Hooker instead of Watson last year, despite Watson apparently being the highest rated player on their board,  which I’m sure is why we traded out of the pick.

Archived