Anime and Manga Thread.

Supersuavesky

28 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Saw this over the weekend, and it's definitely everything you said and then some. I don't know if I would personally rate it a 10/10, but it was definitely good for a compact 10 part series. However, it definitely felt like some of the plot started to get rushed at the end, same with some of the character motivations, as they wanted to make sure everything was wrapped up in the short amount of time they had. Think they could have expanded this out to a full length 50 part series and it would have done wonders for the relative flaws I found in the anime. Still, it's really encouraging to see Netflix venturing into this realm of anime. Hopefully they continue to push the boundaries with more original content along these lines.

It certainly had its flaws but in my opinion, it still was a masterpiece. The show is just so unique that I just can't help but love it. But certainly, the pacing near the end was a major drawback. SPOILERS: When the world started to end and humans started self-destructing was a major was a major wasted opportunity. There should have been another episode between episode 6 and 7 where we got to watch the world fall apart. Instead, we just got a jump in between episodes from "oh humanity knows about demons" to "the worlds ending". It almost feels like there was another episode there but it had to be cut.

50 episodes is a lot. At that length, you start to see new problems cropping up like filler episodes and losing the unique feel of the show. Plus people like me can barely sit through 26 episodes to 50 would just be too daunting. I think if they had made this show 13 episodes like a usual season of anime is it would have been just perfect. But all-in-all I was expecting nothing from a Netflix funded anime so I was pleasantly surprised that they would not only make a show that was fantastic but one that doesn't conform to standard Japanese tropes and censorship.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2018 at 1:05 PM, RavensTillIDie said:

Saw this over the weekend, and it's definitely everything you said and then some. I don't know if I would personally rate it a 10/10, but it was definitely good for a compact 10 part series. However, it definitely felt like some of the plot started to get rushed at the end, same with some of the character motivations, as they wanted to make sure everything was wrapped up in the short amount of time they had. Think they could have expanded this out to a full length 50 part series and it would have done wonders for the relative flaws I found in the anime. Still, it's really encouraging to see Netflix venturing into this realm of anime. Hopefully they continue to push the boundaries with more original content along these lines.

Eh a lot of Go Nagai's stuff is too long anyway so I can see why they trimmed it. 

On 1/23/2018 at 4:58 PM, RavensTillIDie said:

Saw Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters last night on Netflix. It's interesting. Not a huge fan of this new style of animation, but it's definitely different. The story is a bit rushed, but it was a nice watch, given that it's supposedly part of a trilogy series. It's only about an hour and a half long, I'd say give it a watch for anyone who has Netflix.

I thought it was pretty awful. I have no interest in part 2.

So I recently discovered there is a football anime called Eyeshield 21. It's actually has a rating over 8 on MAL which isn't easy to do. It's also all on Crunchyroll for free. I'm kinda intrigued and feel it would be pretty funny to see all the Japenese stereotypes of football but I'm a little intimated by the 145 episodes. It's also got a manga that's even higher rated than the anime at 8.57. I might try giving that a read. I've never really watched or read any sports anime but if it's as good as people hype Haikyuu!! or Ping Pong the Animation to then consider me interested.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Geek said:

So I recently discovered there is a football anime called Eyeshield 21. It's actually has a rating over 8 on MAL which isn't easy to do. It's also all on Crunchyroll for free. I'm kinda intrigued and feel it would be pretty funny to see all the Japenese stereotypes of football but I'm a little intimated by the 145 episodes. It's also got a manga that's even higher rated than the anime at 8.57. I might try giving that a read. I've never really watched or read any sports anime but if it's as good as people hype Haikyuu!! or Ping Pong the Animation to then consider me interested.  

The Manga is lightyears better than the anime. The manga is by the same guy doing the OPM Manga which is the look the anime based itself off of, Eyeshield is like a top-5 all time book.

Though yes, the football in it is laughably bad for a large chunk of it, mostly because the author (in a break from tradition the book has an author who isn't also the artist) had absolutely no knowledge of football before hand lol. The anime is pretty terrible and cheaply made and also cuts out the best games and characters from the book.

415a714ad6ae7fe949695e015ea9d73b13626107

Just imagine that but with Football for the book. Aside from Slam Dunk and Touch!! it is the definitive sports manga.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Dragon ball super is lit imo 

also cant wait for one punch man season 2

Shame it's ending in a few weeks to give the animation team chance to work on the movie coming up in December. Hopefully it comes back with a much more focused story board and the animation team is giving the necessary time for the series.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Shame it's ending in a few weeks to give the animation team chance to work on the movie coming up in December. Hopefully it comes back with a much more focused story board and the animation team is giving the necessary time for the series.

It will come back it's getting to much ratings . Plus there's to many questions not answered .

the movie could be interesting .

4 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I don't know I thought UI Mastered looks stupid, like that terrible SSJ5 fanart from a decade ago lol.

Super is over and done, but Dragonball is gonna get another show by 2020, they make too much in toy and merch sales when they have a series running to not do so.

Super has been transformation overload. Also too much fan service. Hoping the next series picks up when Goku flies off with Uub as Super said they wouldn't be changing the end of Z. 

5 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

Just finished Death Note. It's great, but could've been even better if they didn't go through that last story arc.

Once the one major thing happens that story is over for me. Should have ended it there and had it been perfect. 

The author of death note kind of alludes to that in their next manga Bakuman which is a manga about making manga and a solid read if you ever have the time. 

Edited by ninjapirate