Anime and Manga Thread.

Supersuavesky

Caught up to episode 49 (I believe current) of My Hero Academia. Was really really good.

Then my wife and I started The Ancient Magus' Bride. Thus far it's quite enjoyable. I'm not 100% sure of what I think of it thus far, but it's very aesthetically pleasing and the voice actor for the dub of Elias has a very good voice for it. Anything to do with the fae is also very interesting to me. It's one that we'll go back to quickly I'm sure.

I also watched some more D.Gray-man yesterday. While I don't feel extremely compelled by the story overall, they do a good job of having simple concepts portrayed in a clear way, which I appreciate in the storytelling.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Just introduced my daughter to this gem:

Image result for spirited away

Wife thought it may be too weird and scary but she loved it. Such a great movie. 

I thought it was good. A lot of Miyazaki's stuff is just whimsical - a bunch of crazy stuff happening with some fantastical creatures around. The plots are always lacking, IMO.

12 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

I thought it was good. A lot of Miyazaki's stuff is just whimsical - a bunch of crazy stuff happening with some fantastical creatures around. The plots are always lacking, IMO.

Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are probably my two favorites and both have pretty decent stories as far as I am concerned. I think you could describe a lot of anime as "A bunch of crazy stuff happening with some fantastical creatures around" including a lot of the most popular Western series. Attack on Titan, XHunterX, One Punch Man, Sword Art Online, ect... 

17 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are probably my two favorites and both have pretty decent stories as far as I am concerned. I think you could describe a lot of anime as "A bunch of crazy stuff happening with some fantastical creatures around" including a lot of the most popular Western series. Attack on Titan, XHunterX, One Punch Man, Sword Art Online, ect... 

Mononoke's plot was good, because it was earlier Miyazaki Ghibli. Nausicaa Valley Of The Wind had a good one, too.

IMO, most modern anime series have good plots, and that's a big part of their appeal for me. My top 3 aspects of anime series are:

1) Premise

2a) Plot

2b) Characters

• Like 1

Gotten further into The Ancient Magus' Bride. It's still extremely beautiful, but the story is not the most compelling thus far, it's a little bit too much one off focus in the story right now, and I want it to develop a clearer plot at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

Got into My Hero Academia this week. Im like 14 episodes in. Its really good, but I am not quite hooked yet. Usually what gets me are the characters, but I haven't really fallen in love with any yet. It might also be that I just got finished catching up on Fairy Tail (so glad new episodes are coming soon) and that show has OODLES of fleshed out and awesome characters. 

On 7/27/2018 at 8:01 AM, The Gnat said:

Taking a break from D.Gray-Man. Decided to try Tokyo Ravens. Thus far Tokyo Ravens is just okay, there are some fun characters, but overall not that great.

Wrapped up Tokyo Ravens. Meh, just an okay anime. Nothing really stood out about it, though it had some cool magic concepts. It didn't get any depth as it went as well. For something that tried to have a fair amount of depth, at least from a surface glance, it ended up bouncing around and feeling way to rushed. Normally I say that anime's drag on too long, but this one was too all over the place and didn't spend enough time developing depth.

Now I'm thinking I'm going to start Code:Breaker, but we'll see. I haven't landed on my next one to watch yet. I'll probably come back to D.Gray-man, but I'm half way through it now, and it's just been feeling like a slog.

On 7/27/2018 at 6:30 AM, Deadpulse said:

Got into My Hero Academia this week. Im like 14 episodes in. Its really good, but I am not quite hooked yet. Usually what gets me are the characters, but I haven't really fallen in love with any yet. It might also be that I just got finished catching up on Fairy Tail (so glad new episodes are coming soon) and that show has OODLES of fleshed out and awesome characters. 

you get a lot more character development when you get to the tournament. I think you're probably right that by ep 14 there's probably about 3 characters that you really know. Season 2 really starts to develop the classmates beyond just Bakugo.

9 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

you get a lot more character development when you get to the tournament. I think you're probably right that by ep 14 there's probably about 3 characters that you really know. Season 2 really starts to develop the classmates beyond just Bakugo.

You were right. I got through the tourney arc and got hooked. They made Iida much less one note with his brother's situation and gave him better motivations. They made Todoroki more than a mystery powerhouse and gave him a good connection with Midoriya

9 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

You were right. I got through the tourney arc and got hooked. They made Iida much less one note with his brother's situation and gave him better motivations. They made Todoroki more than a mystery powerhouse and gave him a good connection with Midoriya

That Deku v Todoroki fight is one of my all time favorites. It was so tense and there were great reasons to cheer for both sides. I really loved how they spliced Todoroki's backstory into the fight to create a compelling narrative, it gave me chills. He's my favorite character in the show now.

MHA is just the best at fight scenes, and they somehow kicked it up another notch in season 3

• Like 1