Anime and Manga Thread.

Supersuavesky

Welp Netflix managed to burn all my goodwill in a 24 hour period. Yesterday they announced my favorite show ever was streaming on Netflix, today they announced my second favorite anime ever, Cowboy Bebop, was getting a live-action show. 

I really really hope this is good. I want it to be good so bad. But judging by other anime to live-action series (I'm looking at you Ghost in the Shell and Death Note), we're about to get a ****-show that'll miss the entire point of the series.  I will say that if there is one anime that could get a great live-action series, it would be Bebop. We've seen this kinda tone and setting work before in shows like Firefly so it's not guaranteed to suck. Watanabe is coming on as a consultant so hopefully, he'll be able to curtail any shenanigans the studio making this might put in. Either way, I'm going to watch this series, I'm just not very optimistic.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geek said:

Welp Netflix managed to burn all my goodwill in a 24 hour period. Yesterday they announced my favorite show ever was streaming on Netflix, today they announced my second favorite anime ever, Cowboy Bebop, was getting a live-action show. 

I really really hope this is good. I want it to be good so bad. But judging by other anime to live-action series (I'm looking at you Ghost in the Shell and Death Note), we're about to get a ****-show that'll miss the entire point of the series.  I will say that if there is one anime that could get a great live-action series, it would be Bebop. We've seen this kinda tone and setting work before in shows like Firefly so it's not guaranteed to suck. Watanabe is coming on as a consultant so hopefully, he'll be able to curtail any shenanigans the studio making this might put in. Either way, I'm going to watch this series, I'm just not very optimistic.   

When I think Space Cowboy.

malcolm-reynolds-firefly-nathan-fillion-

• Like 1

Once again I just hope they don't miss the point of the show to go hard on the "action" element.

Like, it's important to emphasize that these are all, aside from Ed, bad people. Spike is a monster who's trying to run away from himself but can't outrun the gun, don't dance around that because he has to be "likable and he can't be likable if he's a murderer".

• Like 1

More crazy anime news this week: Blade Runner is getting an anime directed by Kenji Kamiyama (directed Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, the best cyberpunk anime IMO) and Watanabe (director of Cowboy Bebop, also directed a Blade Runner anime short last year )as creative producer. It'll be called Blade Runner: Black Lotus and the show is partnering with Adult Swim and Crunchyroll to bring it to TV

I'm really hyped for this one. I love Cyberpunk and Blade Runner 2049 is one of my favorite Cyberpunk movies. This show has all the creative potential behind it to be a really great one. I'm really hyped.

While we're at this crazy week in anime can we get a Black Lagoon season 3 announcement? Or a Konosuba season 3 announcement? Or a confirmation of the new GitS project being season 3 of Stand Alone Complex? Maybe I'm getting a little greedy... 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 1:27 PM, Geek said:

It's got a lot of potential either way. They could play it similar to Joss Whedon's firefly and it wouldn't be the worst thing ever (except maybe just a slightly bigger budget), but even if they went the way of Altered Carbon, I wouldn't be that upset by it. Altered Carbon wasn't the greatest thing ever, but that huge budget made the visuals very appealing overall, and though the story struggled quite a bit at points, and the end result story started to unravel toward the end with their plot twists, the overall story wasn't horrible. I think that there's potential here for a legitimately decent adaptation.

That being said, as someone else said, be thankful it's a series, because their live action adaptation movies have definitely not been so hot. 

I'm actually going through the entire Cowboy Bebop anime series again. It's been a few years. I hope it holds up as well as I initially thought. I'm several episodes in already. 

As for the Netflix news, I'm with @Forge in thinking it could go either way. I hope it does well, but obviously the track record of anime properties to live action is pretty bad. Doesn't mean the right people with the right vision can't make it work. I hope they keep some staples of the show like Yoko Kanno's soundtrack. Or try to get her to work on the show itself maybe offering new content. There will be some big obstacles though as some things just don't translate to live film well. How would you even do Edward? 

On 11/29/2018 at 5:01 AM, Geek said:

Eva is complex and multifaceted. There's always a lot going on in the plot and between the characters so it's easy to miss the point of the show. The first time I watched EoE I was way too mindblown to understand what happened, nevermind understanding the subtilties of the plot. It's definitely a show you got to watch a few times to understand everything that is going on so I'm not too pressed that people don't get it the first time through. 

This was me as a kid in the late 90's when I saw the show on public television.

f58072e539054ef8cf72aace356f1c41.jpg

I'll have to watch this again. It's also been years. And I never bothered to watch the films. Art style was incredible though.  

Edited by PapaShogun

7 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

This was me as a kid in the late 90's when I saw the show on public television.

f58072e539054ef8cf72aace356f1c41.jpg

I'll have to watch this again. It's also been years. And I never bothered to watch the films. Art style was incredible though.  

Haha yup this is pretty much everyone when you first watch Eva. The plot is like a big puzzle. All the pieces fit together flawlessly but it's a big complex puzzle and it doesn't help that the show intentionally misleads you on key points and never goes out of its way to explain itself. Some shows like to spoonfeed their audiences, some shows like to make their audiences learn to feed themselves, and Eva actively swats away any attempt to put the food in your mouth. Some people hate that but it just adds another layer of intrigue for me, especially because the payoff is so great once you start to figure out all the little secrets of the show. 

Also if you rewatch the show, watching the End of Evangelion film is a must. As far as I'm concerned if you haven't watched EoE than you haven't really finished NGE, it's the most important part of the franchise.IMO best-animated film of all time and perfectly ends the Eva franchise. It runs concurrent to the last two episodes so it gives context for what the hell is actually happening while being insane and complex in its own right.

The Rebuild movies that aren't going to be on Netflix are good but nothing as great as the original. The first was exactly the same as the first 6 episodes of the show with nicer visuals, the second movies was actually really great, the third movie was a bunch of crazy setpieces and an amazing spectacle but lacked the substance that Eva is known for. It just had too many things completely out of left field and while that is normal for Eva, none of it really feels like it makes sense even after thinking about it a lot. If they do the 4th movie right it still could end up being pretty great overall, but Anno will really need to find a way to explain some of the actions the characters took in the last movie. 

7 hours ago, Geek said:

Haha yup this is pretty much everyone when you first watch Eva. The plot is like a big puzzle. All the pieces fit together flawlessly but it's a big complex puzzle and it doesn't help that the show intentionally misleads you on key points and never goes out of its way to explain itself. Some shows like to spoonfeed their audiences, some shows like to make their audiences learn to feed themselves, and Eva actively swats away any attempt to put the food in your mouth. Some people hate that but it just adds another layer of intrigue for me, especially because the payoff is so great once you start to figure out all the little secrets of the show. 

Also if you rewatch the show, watching the End of Evangelion film is a must. As far as I'm concerned if you haven't watched EoE than you haven't really finished NGE, it's the most important part of the franchise.IMO best-animated film of all time and perfectly ends the Eva franchise. It runs concurrent to the last two episodes so it gives context for what the hell is actually happening while being insane and complex in its own right.

The Rebuild movies that aren't going to be on Netflix are good but nothing as great as the original. The first was exactly the same as the first 6 episodes of the show with nicer visuals, the second movies was actually really great, the third movie was a bunch of crazy setpieces and an amazing spectacle but lacked the substance that Eva is known for. It just had too many things completely out of left field and while that is normal for Eva, none of it really feels like it makes sense even after thinking about it a lot. If they do the 4th movie right it still could end up being pretty great overall, but Anno will really need to find a way to explain some of the actions the characters took in the last movie. 

You know, I may have actually seen the film now that I think of it. Was that the one were Shinji was jacking off over Asuka's comatose body in a hospital? That's the only thing about the movie I remember, if that is indeed what it was. Quite disturbing. 

Edited by PapaShogun

• 2 weeks later...

Last year I did a top 5 animes that I'd seen, favorite wise and this year, I think only 1 of the ones from last years list was still on the list. Right now I'd say my favorite 5 animes are:

1. Steins;Gate
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. My Hero Academia
4. Space Dandy
5. Assassination Classroom

Then I had 5 honorable mentions:
Sword Art Online
Ancient Magus Bride
Blood Blockade Battlefront
The Devil is Part-Timer
Is It Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I started watching Soul Eater and it's pretty silly but I like it. I'm 10 episodes in and the depth has really improved the last 3-4.

Saw the first episode and wasn't into it.

I'm presently halfway into Trigun and not that into it.