Anime and Manga Thread.

Supersuavesky

On 12/2/2018 at 12:58 PM, Geek said:

Haha yup this is pretty much everyone when you first watch Eva. The plot is like a big puzzle. All the pieces fit together flawlessly but it's a big complex puzzle and it doesn't help that the show intentionally misleads you on key points and never goes out of its way to explain itself. Some shows like to spoonfeed their audiences, some shows like to make their audiences learn to feed themselves, and Eva actively swats away any attempt to put the food in your mouth. Some people hate that but it just adds another layer of intrigue for me, especially because the payoff is so great once you start to figure out all the little secrets of the show. 

Also if you rewatch the show, watching the End of Evangelion film is a must. As far as I'm concerned if you haven't watched EoE than you haven't really finished NGE, it's the most important part of the franchise.IMO best-animated film of all time and perfectly ends the Eva franchise. It runs concurrent to the last two episodes so it gives context for what the hell is actually happening while being insane and complex in its own right.

The Rebuild movies that aren't going to be on Netflix are good but nothing as great as the original. The first was exactly the same as the first 6 episodes of the show with nicer visuals, the second movies was actually really great, the third movie was a bunch of crazy setpieces and an amazing spectacle but lacked the substance that Eva is known for. It just had too many things completely out of left field and while that is normal for Eva, none of it really feels like it makes sense even after thinking about it a lot. If they do the 4th movie right it still could end up being pretty great overall, but Anno will really need to find a way to explain some of the actions the characters took in the last movie. 

Significant spoilers for the show below so if nobody has watched it, don't read this stuff. But the reason I love it so much is that it showcases both sides of humanity and how we interact and how difficult it is.

Shinji's existential chair interview, flashbacks, and warping of style is a representation of him battling with his personal mental and emotional issues while being absorbed by the collective. That's why everyone cheers for him at the end. He's lowered his own AT Field (the things that keep us separate as individual beings, and EVA units and Angels can use for blocking attacks in badass sci-fi action fights) and overcome the things that have kept him from connecting with others throughout the show and throughout his life. Essentially, he has joined everyone else and entered "heaven".

In End of Evangelion, we see the Human Instrumentality happen more literally from the outside –instead of from inside Shinji's internal perspective– as all the Rei clones touch people and turn them into orange LCL goo and everyone explodes into crosses of light across the planet. But the ending changes from the show because Shinji rejects the collective, leaving himself and Asuka alone on the beach while everyone else has merged into one entity (the red sea of LCL they are on the shore of). Essentially, he has walked up to the gates of "heaven" and chosen to remain separate from everyone because his mental and emotional issues were too much for him to overcome; he has chosen "hell". Then left alone with only one other individual person on the planet (Asuka), his impulse is to try to strangle her to death. He can't go through it after she reaches up and touches his face. He lets go and starts to cry, she says something ambiguous that can be translated as "I feel sick" or "you make me sick" or "gross", and the movie ends.  Shinji breaks down because he's seen himself. Asuka's reacting to that. The entire narrative point of Human Instrumentality is to force down the barriers between Shinji and others completely. EoTV shows what happens when he can handle it, EoE shows what happens when he can't. I think he recognizes it in both. EoE breaks Shinji down into pulp, a massive wreck to the point where seeing any human disgusts him because he can't connect to them, and yet, that human shows him she can connect to him. That what they went through happened, and it mattered, but she's still rejecting him. He can't connect, he's alone because he cannot accept himself and forces others to deny that acceptance as well.

It's very poignant.

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

I've read some of that manga im pretty sure and it was rather done well

It's either my favorite or 2nd favorite anime of 2018, and there's still 12 episodes left. Megalo Box is right there with it. Loved that show, but That time I was Reincarnated as a Slime can also make me laugh (episode 11 in particular is a standout).

Edited by Jeezla

Trigun

The first half of this 26-episode series did very little for me. The 2nd half was very good. Vash had a weird, unexpected backstory. I think priest Nicholas D. Wolfwood was a more interesting character than Vash. 

B+

Trigun: Badlands Rumble (2010)

Trigun goes digital; The animation is a stark contrast to the older TV series. It takes place 20 years after the end of said  series. This movie is enjoyable but not really noteworthy.

B

On 12/2/2018 at 2:24 AM, PapaShogun said:

This was me as a kid in the late 90's when I saw the show on public television.

f58072e539054ef8cf72aace356f1c41.jpg

I'll have to watch this again. It's also been years. And I never bothered to watch the films. Art style was incredible though.  

Yeah you're reaction isn't going to change lol the ending is weird.

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

Watched the one dubbed episode of Radiant, or the one they have on the FunimationNow streaming thus far. It felt pretty standard anime, but was cute. I'll probably come back to it when more episodes are out.

Im 14 episodes in and the MC is not the selling point of the show, the supporting ones are.

Think they show up within the next 2 episodes or so but my memory is fuzzy.

On 1/11/2019 at 3:48 PM, Thelonebillsfan said:
On 1/11/2019 at 3:43 PM, Fresh Prince said:

Going to give bleach a try even tho I'm not really into the spirit, demons type of a show.

It stops being about spirits and demons around, idr when then Soul Society arc starts but probably 30 episodes or so. 

Then it's just a generic Shounen what with swords.

Yup, with a plethora of filler. If you are going to try and make it through the whole of the show, I would highly recommend looking at filler lists and skipping all of the filler.