Anime and Manga Thread.

Supersuavesky

On 10/4/2017 at 7:10 AM, Bullet Club said:

What are your guys top 10 personal favorite anime series?

Wow, I didn't realize how hard it was to pick just 10.

Honarable Mentions:

Sword Art Online. Mainly just the first half of the first season. I thought the time spent in the first world was very well done with some fun action and nice plot lines. 

Death Parade. 

Dead Man Wonderland. T

Claymore. Great if you like Brutal Violence in your anime. 

Accel World. 

Bastard!!! Probably cheating a little - not really a series, but a string of OAVs (6 I believe). I think it could have been a pretty great actual series though. 

Ergo Proxy 

Serial Experiments Lain

Erased.

Towano Quon. Similar to Bastard, may be cheating a little as it's a movie series, not a straight up tv series. 

Black Lagoon.

Basilisk. May have actually cracked the top 10 if it weren't so predictable. 

Stein's Gate

Okay, okay, I could keep going with this HMs

10. Trigun. Comedies aren't typically my thing, but this is one of the better anime's I've ever seen. And funny. 

9.  Death Note - at least until about halfway through it's pretty amazing. 

8. Attack on Titan

7. Hellsing Ultimate. 

6. Persona 4, the Animation. Mainly because the game is one of my favorite ever and the anime adaption is pretty faithful. 

5. Devil is a Part timer. Typically I don't like "funny" anime, but this one really did make me laugh. 

4. The original Berserk. The animation is pretty terrible, but still has a place in my heart. 

3. Fate Series. 

2. Darker than Black (season 1 only). Loved the premise, loved the main character. 

1. FMA Brotherhood. Didn't care much for the initial run of FMA...the second one is superior in pretty much every way, and more faithful to the source material. 

Now ask again tomorrow and my top 10 and honorable mentions are probably way different. 

Assassination Classroom should be on this list, but I've only seen a handful of episodes, so I can't put forth a final judgement.  One Punch Man would be on the list if it were longer. Cowboy Bebop is not on this list even as an honorable mention because..... to make an analogy, ever hear a song that you absolute love but you hear it so many times that not only do you get sick of it, you start to avoid listening to it? That's Cowboy Bebop for me.

Honorable Mention (in no particular order): Both Full Metal Alchemist shows,  Tenchi Universe, Tenchi Muyo GXP, Utawareumono, Solty Rei, The Devil is a Part Timer, xxxholic, Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad 

10. Outlaw Star

9. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 1

8. Spice and Wolf

7. Cromartie High School

6. Martian Successor Nadesico

5. Hellsing Ultimate

4. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

3. Black Lagoon

2. Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu

1. Trigun

Now for my bottom 5 least favorite/most disliked anime

Honorable Mention: Heaven's Lost Property, any new Gundam show I've seen from the last 5-7 years, Tenchi In Tokyo

5. Saikano

4. Gunslinger Girl

3. Wanna be the Strongest in the World

2. The original Berserk

1. Vampire Princess Miyu

If you are wondering "Why is Berserk on this list?", the answer to that is, I rented Berserk from a Blockbuster video way back when.  I did that at a far younger age than I should have.  For all I know, I might actually like the show if I first discovered it now.  But I didn't.  So #2 on the list it goes. 

Edited by Crickett

So I just bought my ticket for Fate/Stay Night Heavens Feel in mid-November at a pop-up theater in DC. Even though it's still a month and a half away, almost all the tickets were sold out so I guess I'm lucky to have looked it up today. Not a great seat but at least I get to see my favorite franchise on the big screen. I've never gone to see anime in theaters so I don't really know what to expect but in regards to the experience. 

I'm really excited about this movie though. I've played through the VN, so I know what happens and all I can say is if Ufotable does this right, it should be at least as good as Fate/Zero if not better. 

I've been meaning to come in here & ask for some advice, but now I'm compelled to answer "Top 10" question...

~ Might have to split this post into two parts ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I see some of these lists are agreeing to disagree. 

(Part 1)

~ HM List ~

(Random)

Black Lagoon 

X Series 

Elfen Lied

Full Metal Panic

Ergo Proxy,

Ranma 1/2 (Mindless stupidity that only anime can get away with)

Vampire Princess, Miyu (Basically, Sailor Moon with vampires. But a much shorter series, so I kinda liked it... I should check out the OVA sometime)     

Serial Experiments Lain (Weird, but I kinda like weird)

~ Top 10 List ~

10. Vision of Escaflowne (Enjoyed the series. A lot better than the film)

9. Wolf's Rain

8. Death Note 

7. Hellsing Ultimate (I didn't mind the first version. Ultimate, however, is a class apart)

6. Azumanga Daioh (Had very low expectations going in, but it turned out to be one the the funniest things I've ever seen) 

5. Slayers (All of them) - (Ton of fun & magic)

4. Berserk (Series One) - (Agreed... Some of the animation wasn't flash, I hate the use of still images, but the story was quality)

3. Fullmetal Alchemist  

2. Tekkaman - Blade (Probably the first anime series I ever watched. It showed me the potential of animation, & for that, I'm forever grateful) 

1. Cowboy Bebop (I rarely re-watch series until I tire of them, so Bebop remains the pinnacle for me) 

... I'm sure I've forgotten some?

PS... Gotta admit, I never fell in love with "Neon Genesis Evangelion" the way many others did... Loved some aspects - concepts, designs, etc... Hated most of the characters, particularly Shinji. If he had died in the first episode, it would've been fine by me.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

(Part 2)

~ Question? ~

If I was looking at getting back into anime/manga... Where would you recommend I start? (Pretty much - What's good)

Disclaimer... 

I've become a fussy pain in the ***, who has practically divorced themselves from mainstream television, outside of sport & documentaries.

Hollywood went first, & anime followed soon after... While my interest in HW remains at an all-time low, I can feel a curiosity for anime/manga starting to stir inside of me again.  

Recently I sat down & watched two films - "Harmony" (2015) & "The Empire of Corpses" (2015)

I hated them both... Concept is probably the most important thing to me, so I should have known I'd take offence to 'TEOC"  - with its ridiculously dumb concept.   

Edited by Marc MacGyver

Just saw No Game No Life: Zero at the theater. It's as good as the TV show, which I liked quite a bit. But they're saying we might never get additional seasons for legal/financial reasons. You'd have to get the novels/manga to get the rest of the story.

4 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Big fan of that TV special. Like how they explained it, as well. 

Ready for a Piccolo, Vegeta, or Android 17/18 centric episode though. And some Frieza episodes. 

Wonder where they are going. But I really do hope its Gohan who masters that Ultra-Instinct before everyone. Those Japanese DB fans ruin the show by always clamouring for Goku to do everything. I think if they watched Game of Thrones, their heads would explode out of disbelief. 

Edit: and I mean the fans in Japan. Not Japanese in general. 

Edited by Calvert28

58 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I always wanted to get into the Fate series, but I never knew which was the "right" order to watch them in. Any advice in that regard?

I'd recommend Fate/Zero than Fate/Stay Unlimited Blade Works. It's a little more difficult to get into it this way but more rewarding IMO. Ideally you'd watch Studio DEEN's adoption of Fate/Stay Night first but frankly, it's a mediocre anime at best. But by watching DEEN's Fate you'd have the background knowledge to really grasp the rest of the Fate universe. Another option is to play through the VN before doing anything else. It's can tell you it's well worth it but each of the three routes can easily take up 30+ hours so it's quite the commitment(unless you just want to play through the first route). So if you REALLY want to see whats up with Fate, go VN>Fate/Stay Night>UBW> Zero, but if you just want to watch some good *** anime go Zero>UBW>Heaven's Feel(when it releases).

I watched/read in this order: Zero>UBW>VN>Zero>UBW. I really didn't like Zero the first time I watched it, it was too complex and I didn't really have the context for everyone's motives and desires. The second time around Zero cemented itself as one of the best anime I've ever watched and I still consider UBW good. Just not as good as Zero.

Fate is confusing as hell and daunting to get into but well worth it to watch through than rewatch. I hope this post cleared some things up and good luck.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

As someone who got into anime recently any good shows someone could recommend I've only watched Death Note and Cowboy Bebop so far. Damn they were good.

Pretty much anything on the top ten lists everyone's posted is pretty good.

If you liked Bebop I'd recommend Samurai Champloo. Same director as Bebop and same sort of adventure style, this time with Samurais and Hip-Hop.

If you have a certain genre or style you prefer you could post that and then I could base some great anime's off that.