Anime and Manga Thread.

Supersuavesky

I actually haven't looked at that list in a long time, it's interesting to see that all ten of my top ten are on that list somewhere, with 4 of them (including #1 and #4) on the "you have no idea what you're in for" portion. I guess I like the unexpected.

I'll throw out some HM also on that list: Darker than Black, Re:Zero, Black Lagoon, Death Note, Champloo, and Your Lie in April

4 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

What is some good entry anime for someone that has really only watched DBZ/S? I watched the first episode of Attack on Titan and wasn't feeling it. Remember liking Inyuyasha and something else Yuyu Hakasho? on CN as a kid.

Check out the pictures in the comment I posted at the bottom of the last page

• Like 1

Just finished watching the movie Perfect Blue. Maybe I'm still a little excited from recently finishing the film but it's one of the best anime movies I've ever seen. An absolute roller coaster ride of a mind ****. I love phycological thrillers and this is a masterpiece right up there with some of the best of them like Black Swan, Requiem for a Dream, and Jacob's Ladder. It's under an hour and a half so it doesn't drag out like some other anime movies do. I will warn you that it is a HARD R rated film. They really don't hold back with nudity, violence, and sexual assault so if you're squeamish you might have a difficult time getting through this movie. I'm pretty desensitized and I still cringed at some of the more brutal parts. But if you can deal with it I'd highly recommend this movie.

Edited by Geek

Since I asked I'll throw out all the ones I've seen and bold my favorites.

DBZ

Yu Yu Hakesho

Naruto

Hunter X Hunter

Attack on Titan

Death Note

One Punch Man

Psycho Pass

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Code Geass

Bleach

YuGiOh, Digimon and Pokemon all count too I guess but i haven't watched those in a longtime.

Well, I found the full comprehensive guide of those two infographics I posted on the last page. It's a little dated being 2 years old, but it's got everything in my top ten in it and makes some great reccomendations so it gets my seal of approval. If you're having trouble finding where to start with Anime this guide will definetly bring you to something you're going to like. It even has a ridiculously comprehensive flow chart!

https://imgur.com/a/UYySK

Have fun and let me know what you're all watching!

• Like 1

On 14/10/2017 at 1:23 PM, Geek said:

Just finished watching the movie Perfect Blue. Maybe I'm still a little excited from recently finishing the film but it's one of the best anime movies I've ever seen. An absolute roller coaster ride of a mind ****. I love phycological thrillers and this is a masterpiece right up there with some of the best of them like Black Swan, Requiem for a Dream, and Jacob's Ladder. It's under an hour and a half so it doesn't drag out like some other anime movies do. I will warn you that it is a HARD R rated film. They really don't hold back with nudity, violence, and sexual assault so if you're squeamish you might have a difficult time getting through this movie. I'm pretty desensitized and I still cringed at some of the more brutal parts. But if you can deal with it I'd highly recommend this movie.

Agreed, very good film. The fact that the Japanese view animation as a worthy vehicle to carry such a story is a real credit to their industry.

Personally, I think animation is the perfect platform to push the boundaries a little - as it bypasses the physical demands placed on actors, actresses & stunt people.  

Edited by Marc MacGyver

Anyone ever finish Monster? I always see it as a Top Rated Anime. I finished 38 out of the 77 episodes a while back. Some of the episodes are really good but the story progresses so dang slow. I ended up losing interest and stopped watching.

Are Baccano, Darker than Black, and Code Geass worth watching?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Anyone ever finish Monster? I always see it as a Top Rated Anime. I finished 38 out of the 77 episodes a while back. Some of the episodes are really good but the story progresses so dang slow. I ended up losing interest and stopped watching.

Monster is a slow burn.

Yes, no, depends on what you like.

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I haven't gotten around to Monster just because of the sheer number of episodes. Once I start an anime I usually lock in and stop watching anything else/ playing video games. Even if I don't like the anime I feel the need to finish it. This was a problem I had with FMA:B. I was pretty meh on the show but I just HAD to finish all 60 something episodes. I'm a huge fan of psychological thrillers but I'm afraid I'll get bored then have to force my way to the end.

Baccano is on my to watch list in the very near future so I'll get back to you on that one

DtB is amazing. I wasn't super sold on it at first but by the end of the show, it was approaching 10/10 territory for me. It sits just outside my top 10 and I highly recommend watching it.

3 hours ago, Marc MacGyver said:

Agreed, very good film. The fact that the Japanese view animation as a worthy vehicle to carry such a story is a real credit to their industry.

Personally, I think animation is the perfect platform to push the boundaries a little - as it bypasses the physical demands placed on actors, actresses & stunt people.  

Yea what's so great about anime/cartoons is it can tell stories and situations that wouldn't be possible without an enormous budget for live action film. I wouldn't necessarily say that was the case with Perfect Blue but certainly the case a huge amount of shows in this medium. It's one (of many) reasons why anime to live action adaptations never really go very well. Imagine someone trying to make a live action Neon Genisis Evangelion. It would probably be god awful (with a very small chance of being amazing).

Speaking of anime to live action I heard J.J. Abrams is going to make Your Name into a live action. I don't foresee this going well at all but I really hope he can pull it off. It's a 10/10 movie and it would suck to see it get hollywoodized and **** on like Death Note and Ghost in the Shell.

On 10/13/2017 at 8:23 PM, Geek said:

I had heard about this before it was released and got super excited. Back then, it could take years for it to come stateside so it was so annoying. I still remember waiting for the release date, then going to Suncoast in the mall (the only place I could really get anime back then) and buying it on vhs the day it came out over here. God, i feel old lol. I was 17-18 at the time. But yeah, it blew my mind. Love it. Still throw it into rotation now and again. Thankfully upgraded from vhs. Bar none one of the greatest standalone anime features i have ever seen