Anime and Manga Thread.

Supersuavesky

19 minutes ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

Netflix doesn't have a lot of options so what show ia better to watch next.

Bleach

Sword art online

Blue exorcist 

I enjoy SAO through the halfway point of the first season. Never got into bleach. Blue exorcist is solid, but not great. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I enjoy SAO through the halfway point of the first season.

The second half of season one is definitely the weakest part of that show. I thought it did a few interesting-ish things with it, but also came out of left field very much so, which was a bit disappointing.

The second season of SAO was solid throughout in my opinion.

Just now, The Gnat said:

The second half of season one is definitely the weakest part of that show. I thought it did a few interesting-ish things with it, but also came out of left field very much so, which was a bit disappointing.

The second season of SAO was solid throughout in my opinion.

Only made it through about 60% of the second season, so I didn't want to comment on it. I didn't have an issue with it, but that world wasn't as interesting for me, which was just personal preference. 

@Forge - I can see that with the world in the second one, it wasn't as interesting as a fantasy world was for me in terms of the game. It is worth checking out the whole way through, in my opinion, as there is a movie that ties some into that and more into the first season that is fun. Again nothing great, but with SAO I tend to expect it to be mainly popcorn in terms of the seriousness level.

• Like 1

My top five Netflix anime:

5. Death Note- everybody heard of it. Crazy mind games with a notebook that'll kill you.

4. Gurren Laggan- Super over the top action with giant robots and a pretty great story. Its sheer entertainment value is amazing and I always have to hit the gym after a couple episodes because it gets me so hyped up.

3. Madoka Magica- The less you know about what this is going into it, the better. Seriously, don't get turned off after a couple episodes because this seems to be about middle school girls and friendship. It's one of the best anime ever made.

2. Fate/Zero and Fate/UBW- Battle Royal with heroes from the past, amazing fights, characters, and story. Zero is especially good. Its pretty complex but IMO the best action anime ever. Well at least until the Fate/Heaven Feels movies come out.

1. Kill la Kill- See Gurren Laggan (same studio pretty much) but with fanservice cranked to 11 and even hype cranked to over 9000

HMs to Your Lie in April, One Punch Man, Little Witch Academia, and The Devil is a Part Timer.

Also, make note that you can stream anime for free and legally at Crunchyroll and FUNimation. They got a pretty awesome service going on with an enormous library of free anime.

Edited by Geek

SAO is a great concept that's immediately ruined by becoming the most anime-*** anime that's ever anime'd.

Shame too, I really enjoy the concept a lot, which is why I'd recommend Log Horizon but unfortunately that series will never get an ending since it's creator is in prison for tax evasion.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan

I watched some SAO but I absolutely cannot stand self-insert main protagonists with a harem for no reason, whose oblivious to everything and everyone around them. It actually infuriates me. Probably why I like KonoSuba so much, its a fantastic parody of SAO and the other countless anime's like it. The main character is about as far away as you can get from self-insert, he has a harem but is constantly fed up with their **** and quickly comes to realize that actually living out the RPG dream sucks. I can't recommend that comedy enough. It's just too hilarious.

1 hour ago, Geek said:

My top five Netflix anime:

5. Death Note- everybody heard of it. Crazy mind games with a notebook that'll kill you.

4. Gurren Laggan- Super over the top action with giant robots and a pretty great story. Its sheer entertainment value is amazing and I always have to hit the gym after a couple episodes because it gets me so hyped up.

3. Madoka Magica- The less you know about what this is going into it, the better. Seriously, don't get turned off after a couple episodes because this seems to be about middle school girls and friendship. It's one of the best anime ever made.

2. Fate/Zero and Fate/UBW- Battle Royal with heroes from the past, amazing fights, characters, and story. Zero is especially good. Its pretty complex but IMO the best action anime ever. Well at least until the Fate/Heaven Feels movies come out.

1. Kill la Kill- See Gurren Laggan (same studio pretty much) but with fanservice cranked to 11 and even hype cranked to over 9000

HMs to Your Lie in April, One Punch Man, Little Witch Academia, and The Devil is a Part Timer.

Also, make note that you can stream anime for free and legally at Crunchyroll and FUNimation. They got a pretty awesome service going on with an enormous library of free anime.

Free anime? I can finally watch cowboy bepop and akira.

20 hours ago, Geek said:

Yea what's so great about anime/cartoons is it can tell stories and situations that wouldn't be possible without an enormous budget for live action film. I wouldn't necessarily say that was the case with Perfect Blue but certainly the case a huge amount of shows in this medium. It's one (of many) reasons why anime to live action adaptations never really go very well. Imagine someone trying to make a live action Neon Genisis Evangelion. It would probably be god awful (with a very small chance of being amazing).

Speaking of anime to live action I heard J.J. Abrams is going to make Your Name into a live action. I don't foresee this going well at all but I really hope he can pull it off. It's a 10/10 movie and it would suck to see it get hollywoodized and **** on like Death Note and Ghost in the Shell.

Not only is it cost effective, but you're not placing human talent in potentially uncomfortable, compromising, or dangerous positions. The same goes for animals.

If they were to make a live-action Ninja Scroll that remains truthful the the source material, a hell of lot would be asked of the lead actress. (And the actress that plays Benisato... LOL)

Personally, I don't think they can do it.

~~~~~~~~~

A live-action NGE is in the Akira class in terms of adaptation difficulty - (Near Impossible, & should never be attempted)      

All this "Perfect Blue" talk got me thinking, since we've already done a "Top 10" anime series list...

What are your "TOP 10" anime feature films? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Personally, I think creating this list is a little more difficult - because series tend to be better than feature films) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(HM)

(Random Order)

Project A-KO (All parts... Guilty pleasure, & a lot of fun)

Fist of the North Star (Over-powered action that only anime can deliver) 

Angel Cop (More of a mini-series, but brilliant & over the top... Angel's entry is one of the best I've seen in film)

Ghost in the Shell (An anime classic... Somewhere in the top 10-20 range)

WXIII: Patlabor the Movie 3 (Not as good as the first two, but still quality. Also the soundtrack delivers once again, no surprises; it's Kawai )

Perfect Blue, Paprika, & Millennium Actress (The late Satoshi Kon films ranking somewhere between 10-20)

Street Fighter 2: Animated Movie (A film worthy to represent the legendary Capcom franchise)

Grave of the Fireflies (Something very different from studio Ghibli. I've got it in the 10-20 range, but personally I thought Barefoot Gen was superior. Still highly recommended) 

Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise (Enjoyable, & unique sci-fi)

The Place Promised in Our Early Days (Makoto Shinkai is quite the talent)

All of the following Studio Ghibli films -----  The Castle of Cagliostro, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke,  Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind (Myazaki & co have always had such an ability to create enjoyable films)

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (Good film, just not as good as the series)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Top 10)

10) Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade ----- An underrated work from the master Oshii. Jin-Roh is quite a gripping & emotional experience 

9) Patlabor: The Movie ----- Brilliant, but I thought the sequel topped it. The scenes aboard the Ark are fantastic, & the track that plays during its destruction "The Collapse of Babel" is perhaps my favourite piece of music in cinema. The overall musical score is top-self, & Kenji Kawai is a master. 

8) Barefoot Gen (Both parts) ----- A well executed, & highly emotional look at the toll of nuclear war. Told through the eyes of a young boy.  

7) My Neighbor Totoro ----- My favourite Miyazaki film. Some of his other works have more depth, but few left me with the same warm feeling inside.   

6) Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust ----- Kawajiri brings his unique style, & vision to Vampire Hunter D. Outstanding fantasy / action.    

5) Vampire Hunter D (1985) ----- The first adaptation of the graphic novels. I tend to favour the originals, & it's no different here, that's why it places over Bloodlust. "D" ranks number one as my favourite hero / anti-hero character of all-time. I must get my hands on the graphic novels.

The introduction of a 10ft Count Magnus Lee was quite a memorable one...

tumblr_inline_ny38goFv7f1ryba8l_540.jpg

4) Ninja Scroll ----- Yoshiaki Kawajiri is the John Woo of anime action, nobody delivers hard hitting action sequences quite like he does. His style of animation is a personal favourite. Brutally brilliant masterpiece. 

3) Space Adventure Cobra ----- Hands down coolest anime ever created, & the most fun. I love absolutely every detail about Cobra. Lord Necron (AKA - Crystal Boy) gets my vote for greatest villain ever created. At some point, I need to get my hands on the original manga, & anime series. 

Special acknowledgement to the original Western dub's soundtrack amendment. I have no idea who was responsible for this masterstroke, but by incorporating the music of the Swiss Synth-pop / Electronic band, Yello - they managed to take the overall SAC experience to a another level. I highly recommend watching this film with the Yello soundtrack, a favourite amongst most Western fans.     

2) Patlabor 2: The Movie ----- Another underrated masterpiece from Mamoru Oshii. Strangely enough - when I watched "The Dark Knight Rises" some aspects of Nolan's work instantly reminded me of Patlabor 2. Brilliant soundtrack, Kawai once again.

1) Akira ----- Along with FOTNS, NS, & GITS - Akira is typically a highly recommended entry point into the world of anime. Imo it's one of the best films ever made. I consider it to be the "2001: A Space Odyssey" of anime. 

The excellent original dub deserves acknowledgement. It's unusual to find a dub that's the equivalent, or superior than the Japanese voice acting, the Akira's original English dub is that rare exception.   

(Disclaimer... I'm sure I've forgotten something)

Edited by Marc MacGyver