Anime and Manga Thread.

Supersuavesky

On 9/26/2017 at 7:30 AM, freak_of_nature said:

Did anyone watch Steins;Gate? I've heard good things.

Really late to the party here but Steins;Gate is amazing. It starts off pretty slow and SOLy but around episode 7 or 8, it becomes freaking amazing.  I need to do a rewatch but it is probably my 6th or 7th favorite anime of all time. It is for sure the best time travel stories I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. It was good enough that I dropped 35 bucks on Steam to read the VN and then immediately downloaded the sequel Steins;Gate 0 which is even better than the original. Zero should probably air within the next half a year and it's my most anticipated anime outside Fate/Heaven's Feel and Evangelion 3.0 +1.0.  

On 9/29/2017 at 10:32 PM, freak_of_nature said:

No Game No Life: Zero will be at Regal theaters Oct 5 (subbed) and Oct 8 (dubbed).

I felt that NGNL was pretty overrated when I first watched it. It was good but not nearly as good people say it is. I'll probably catch it on the internet at some point but I'm not going to make an effort to see it in theaters like I am with Heaven's Feel. 

Good to hear, Geek. I've studied Japanese for a few years, recently visited for the first time, and now tying to get into more anime TV series, especially the ones with only one season thus far.

I liked Cowboy Bebop a while back, mostly becuase of the amazing movie themes.

I watched a couple episodes of Joker Game last year. I liked it so I just bought the bluray. Only one short season.

Watched One-punch Man. I liked it.

I also just bought the bluray of NGNL and will also get Stien;sGate, without having seen them before. I'm hoping NGNL gets here Thursday or Friday so I can get through it (Twelve 25-minute eps) before I see the movie this weekend.

I bought Mad Men, Hannibal, and True Detective all on bluray before seeing a single episode. It worked out OK.

Edited by freak_of_nature
  • Like 1

A lot of those series are streamable on Crunchyroll for free and legally, so it might be prudent to watch a couple episodes there and then purchase it on Blu-ray if they strike your fancy. If you have any particular genres you like or just want some random recommendation, feel free to ask away.

Also, Makoto Shinkai is amazing. I can't watch live action romances, they always feel off to me, but Makoto Shinkai makes some amazing ones and Your Name is one of the best animes I've ever watched. I even got my sister who buys into the whole stigma against anime to watch it and she was blown away. She couldn't stop talking about it all night after watching it with me, it's a really great movie.

14 hours ago, Geek said:

Also, Makoto Shinkai is amazing. I can't watch live action romances, they always feel off to me, but Makoto Shinkai makes some amazing ones and Your Name is one of the best animes I've ever watched. I even got my sister who buys into the whole stigma against anime to watch it and she was blown away. She couldn't stop talking about it all night after watching it with me, it's a really great movie.

Even if you removed the great stories, his films are beautiful to watch. The animation for Garden of Words is amazing. I watch it on a 4k TV. 

Edited by freak_of_nature

5 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

What are your guys top 10 personal favorite anime series?

10. Psycho-Pass- Awesome Cyber-Punk adventure.  Since you already seen it I don't need to expand on it too far.

9. Madoka Magika- Made by the same studio and Monogatari. This was recommended to me a month or so back. I was pretty turned off at first considering how it seemed to be just some cutesy story about some little girls becoming magical beings. I couldn't have been more wrong about this series, it truly blew my mind. Keep watching it even if you don't like it at first. 

8. KonoSuba- Absolutely hilarious show. Pretty much a satire of RPG's and MMO's like World of Warcraft with great character chemistry and funny hijinks. Has a decent amount of fan-service so it can be a turn off for some people.

7. Steins;Gate- Kinda explained it a bit in a post above but I'll reiterate how good of a time travel show this is.

6. Monogatari Franchise- Pretty much if someone made a ecchi/harem show that was actually really awesome. Great character chemistry, dialog,  and fantastic directing. It's able to keep your attention even though a lot of episodes are two people talking in a room for twenty minutes which is an amazing feat. Obligatory fan-service warning and quite a few episodes that are meant to be watched out of order so it can be a little confusing at times.

5. Fate/Zero (and really the rest of the primary Fate franchise)- Japanese magical Hunger Games with heroes summoned from the past to aid you. Extremely complex, mature, and dark. First time I watched Fate/Zero I nearly dropped it because I couldn't really understand it. After finish Fate/Zero then Fate/UBW and then Zero again I couldn't help but love it. It's got some really awesome fight scenes and philosophical clashes that make it a must watch. Starts off a little slow but it gets there. 

4. Shinsekai Yori- Best world building I've ever seen in almost any medium outside Game of Thrones. It's like if the book The Giver was rated R. Full of intriguing mysteries and an amazing adventure. It's got some scenes that more traditional people might find objectionable but it didn't bother me too much and if you can power through you'll be rewarded with a truly amazing story.

3 Kill la Kill- In one word this show is HYPE. The last time I was on my feet and shouting "Kick their ***" was when the Niners were last playing the Seahawks in that NFC championship game. This show got me on my feet shouting at my TV again, lol. Everything about it is super over the top and fun and I really can't remember the last time a TV show outside football got me so excited. There is a metric **** ton of fan service so you got to be comfortable with it but watching it is like a rollercoaster ride. If it's a little too Fanservicy for you I'd recommend Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan which is very similar (both made by studio Trigger) and also hype as ****.

2. Cowboy Bebop- Space Bounty Hunting adventure with awesome music. If you're going to start anywhere on this list I'd recommend this one. Bebop is a classic and it's pretty accessible for people who don't usually watch anime. It's the anime that got me into watching anime. Also, the English dubs are pretty much some of the best in any anime ever so I'd recommend watching it in English unlike any other shows on this list. Also check out Samurai Champloo by the same director. Its pretty much a hip-hop samurai version of this although not as good (but what really is)? That said Champloo is still a solid 9/10.

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion- I don't even know where to start with this one. Dark, Psychological, Gritty as hell, full of conspiracies, complex characters, absurdly nuanced plot. Some people don't like it but for the life of me I can't figure out why. It the sort of show that I couldn't get out of my head for weeks after finishing it. I could rewatch this show once a month for the rest of my life and still discover new intricacies. I couldn't praise this shows directing enough and IMO sets the gold standard for anime everywhere. You'll spend hours reading theories and explanations on the internet after finishing this. Guaranteed.

So that's my list, I do tend to enjoy darker more mature shows so a lot of this list is made up of shows like that with a few exceptions. If that's not really your style you might dislike a lot of things on this list but I can always recommend some more outside these or in a particular genre that you enjoy so feel free to ask away.

Edited by Geek

Just now, Geek said:

10. Psycho-Pass

9. Madoka Magika

8. KonoSuba

7. Steins;Gate

6. Monogatari Franchise

5. Fate/Zero (and really the rest of the primary Fate franchise)

4. Shinsekai Yori

3 Kill la Kill

2. Cowboy Bebop

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion

The only one of those I've seen is Psycho Pass which I found to be pretty good. Looks like I have some new stuff to look up.

45 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

The only one of those I've seen is Psycho Pass which I found to be pretty good. Looks like I have some new stuff to look up.

I edited my original post to give my thoughts and a little bit of description with each of them so maybe you'd find something you like. Enjoy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Geek said:

I edited my original post to give my thoughts and a little bit of description with each of them so maybe you'd find something you like. Enjoy.

Thanks for that. Seems like we have similar taste. Most intrigued by Neon Genesis and Fate/Zero based on your descriptions. Those sound like exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for.

One Piece on another break.:|

But I really enjoyed the last few chapters. One of the things I like most about this series is the fact that the main characters aren't supremely overpowered. I actually like wondering 'how are they going to survive this one'.

Luffy getting thrashed has been a good read.