Anime and Manga Thread.

Supersuavesky

5 hours ago, The Gnat said:

From what I can tell Funimation hasn't dubbed it yet, and since I watched it all dubbed on Netflix I'm waiting for that. Fire Force is completely absurd, but I'm enjoying it a lot.

It's not on Funimation, it's on Toonami. 100% with you on Fire Force.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

The premise seems so boring from what little I know of it/gathered from the trailer. It's strictly story based, right? That is, there's no action or anything as part of the show? What makes it so amazing?

Yes, it's very story and character based. There is little to no action which is usually a turn off for me (the only other anime I love off the top of my head with this little of action is Death Note). What I love about it is it's essentially an unnerving thriller with horror elements. It's eery and unpredictable, the characters are great/likeable, the continuity is amazing, the music and visuals are fantastic (imo the best directed anime I've ever seen and I don't typically care about that stuff), perfect pacing, and you just feel like after episode 1 you are on the edge of your seat the whole time. Personally I love the story and the way it's structured. On paper I can definitely see where you are coming from. In practice I think it's outstanding.

Edited by Bullet Club
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Yes, it's very story and character based. There is little to no action which is usually a turn off for me (the only other anime I love off the top of my head with this little of action is Death Note). What I love about it is it's essentially an unnerving thriller with horror elements. It's eery and unpredictable, the characters are great/likeable, the continuity is amazing, the music and visuals are fantastic (imo the best directed anime I've ever seen and I don't typically care about that stuff), perfect pacing, and you just feel like after episode 1 you are on the edge of your seat the whole time. Personally I love the story and the way it's structured. On paper I can definitely see where you are coming from. In practice I think it's outstanding.

Interesting. Maybe I'll check it out this weekend as I believe it's on Netflix now. Thanks!

• Like 1

Just now, RavensTillIDie said:

Interesting. Maybe I'll check it out this weekend as I believe it's on Netflix now. Thanks!

Yeah, it's on Netflix and Funimation now. I'd highly recommend you do. The whole season probably takes less than 5 hours to finish.

Finally finished Season 1 of The Promised Neverland. I can certainly see the appeal of it, but I wasn't in love with it. I'm naturally more inclined towards shounen anime, but I'm open to more story centric ones if the premise is interesting enough. While this turned out different from what I was expecting, it really didn't do enough to keep me engaged through the entire season. The characters seemed a bit too contrived for my taste. I did some reading after the final episode and it seems like season 1 is a lot of setup to build towards something much bigger, so I'll continue to watch, but for now I can't give season 1 any higher than a 7/10.

• Like 1

I'm still slowly working my way through Yu Yu Hakisho. The dub is unintentionally hilarious.

The Higurashi remake looking like the anime of the season so far. It's original was easily the best horror anime I ever watched.

I thought The Promised Neverland was a shonen. Now I'm very interested.

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

This show's tournament arc got me hooked on anime forever. Saw it when I was like 8/9/10 years old. 

I'm coming up on the semi finals now. I just have to wait for my roommate to get back so we can keep watching.

5 hours ago, Geek said:

I thought The Promised Neverland was a shonen. Now I'm very interested.

Speaking strictly towards demographics to which it appeals, it probably is targeted more towards kids given the lack of true horror/mature elements. However, the first season was much more geared towards twists/turns, thriller elements and psychology than action, IMO. But from what I have read, it does seem like the action tends to pick up a lot in the upcoming arcs, so it's possible it will change my perception in the future. 

1 hour ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Speaking strictly towards demographics to which it appeals, it probably is targeted more towards kids given the lack of true horror/mature elements. However, the first season was much more geared towards twists/turns, thriller elements and psychology than action, IMO. But from what I have read, it does seem like the action tends to pick up a lot in the upcoming arcs, so it's possible it will change my perception in the future. 

It's shonen in the same way Death note is.