Why is Equanimeous St. Brown NOT a consensus 1st round pick?

VanS

6'5" 215 lbs. 4.4 speed.  Great production in 2016 when he had a QB that could pass.  I just don't see what there isn't there to like.  He's tall.  He's fast.  He can catch.  He's been productive.

How is this guy not a first round pick in all the mock drafts?  And how are guys with less physical tools projected to go higher than him?

After the combine, I have Antonio Callaway as my WR1 and Equanimeous St. Brown as my WR2.  And I don't see that top 2 changing. 

Because he's not good enough to go in the 1st round.

Skinny. Unproductive. Drops quite a few balls. Doesn't play big AT ALL. Isn't quick or shifty.

I like him more than most, but he's not a 1st round pick. He does run really good routes against zones, but he should be murking people on jump balls and down the sidelines. He's too easily guided in/out by the cornerback and doesn't high point. The production is due in large part to his garbage QB situation, but it doesn't put to rest the concerns.

Good point, I had him in the 1st round earlier this season.  Most likely will be high 2nd round however but as a big receiver he is damn smooth.  Can make some wonderful sideline catches and makes it look easy even with very average to below average QB play on Notre Dame.  Really like how he makes things look easy especially at that size, good showing for him no doubt at the combine.  

DJ Chark was damn impressive at the combine, if anyone climbs into the 1st it could be him, doubt Brown will but that is not a huge deal.  Even Chark though might not be able to even with his 40 time and return skills, just WR for many teams late 1st are arguably not a huge need but will see.

Sutton was very impressive for a big man as well, impressive 60 shuttle and 3 cone.  Not to mention another bigger receiver 6-3 226 Dylan Cantrell.   Out of all WRs Cantrell was 3rd in vertical jump, 7th in the bench press, 2nd broad jump, 1st in 3 cone, 1st in 20 shuttle and 1st in 60 shuttle.  Was solid especially last year for Texas Tech and for sure will be drafted after this showing at the combine.  

56 minutes ago, VanS said:

6'5" 215 lbs. 4.4 speed.  Great production in 2016 when he had a QB that could pass.  I just don't see what there isn't there to like.  He's tall.  He's fast.  He can catch.  He's been productive.

How is this guy not a first round pick in all the mock drafts?  And how are guys with less physical tools projected to go higher than him?

After the combine, I have Antonio Callaway as my WR1 and Equanimeous St. Brown as my WR2.  And I don't see that top 2 changing. 

Oh, and Callaway being a 1st round pick, that will not happen.  Would be shocked if he did, sure he is a good punt return man, ran a solid 40 time but freaking A he has a lot of of the field issues.  Callaway had 4 run-ins with law enforcement and 2 times he was actually removed from the Florida team for disciplinary purposes.  Yes before the season I had him as the #1 WR potentially, but that is just based on his talent and potential, but then you go and get kicked off the team and do not play at all his junior year, the off the field stuff more than just a little to be concerned with I feel....  

49 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Oh, and Callaway being a 1st round pick, that will not happen.  Would be shocked if he did, sure he is a good punt return man, ran a solid 40 time but freaking A he has a lot of of the field issues.  Callaway had 4 run-ins with law enforcement and 2 times he was actually removed from the Florida team for disciplinary purposes.  Yes before the season I had him as the #1 WR potentially, but that is just based on his talent and potential, but then you go and get kicked off the team and do not play at all his junior year, the off the field stuff more than just a little to be concerned with I feel....  

Oh I'm sure Antonio Callaway will not be a 1st round pick.  As of now, he probably won't be a Day 2 pick either.  All I was saying is he's my top ranked WR in this class because I feel he is the most talented WR in this class (by a wide margin).  The off-field issues are a concern but I don't think he's a bad kid.  I think he's a kid who has made some mistakes.  Because of his immense talent, I would take a chance on him because I know if he can stay out of trouble, I'll be getting a top 3 WR in the NFL for the next decade.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Skinny. Unproductive. Drops quite a few balls. Doesn't play big AT ALL. Isn't quick or shifty.

I like him more than most, but he's not a 1st round pick. He does run really good routes against zones, but he should be murking people on jump balls and down the sidelines. He's too easily guided in/out by the cornerback and doesn't high point. The production is due in large part to his garbage QB situation, but it doesn't put to rest the concerns.

If he's not a 1st round pick, then who in this class is?

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah, all the bolded, coming from someone who has watched him at ND. He shows flashes, but doesn't consistently win jump balls or compete very well for the ball in the air. Runs good routes, but isn't a big time WR like he looks like he should be capable of. Watching him play you don't necessarily see 4.4 speed or 20 bench press reps, both were surprising to me. Although he did have inconsistent QB play. I do think he deserves to be a Top 50 pick off potential alone if he can really open up.

6 hours ago, VanS said:

If he's not a 1st round pick, then who in this class is?

Calvin Ridley. I know you don't like him, but he runs elite routes, gets vertical, catches the football consistently, and did so with a used tampon at QB.

I also don't like Courtland Sutton. Another dude that's big and fast but doesn't play all that big and isn't quick. Sutton's route running is pretty bad and he rarely separates from DB's. He's basically Stephen Hill but not nearly as fast. Or a faster straight line Dwayne Jarrett.

Anthony Miller is my #2 WR and I wouldn't take him in the 1st round. He's in the 20's in my rankings, but it bothers me that he isn't overly fast or overly big. He doesn't really have #1 WR potential.

DJ Chark is interesting to me. He had the worst QB of all. Pretty sure Danny Etling wouldn't start on 3/4 of high school teams. He's an abomination. Side note: Why was this tool invited to the combine? Back to Chark, he's also too unproductive to get taken in the 1st round. A lot of the same issues St. Brown has, except he plays much faster than Brown does. He looks 4.3 fast. Brown doesn't look fast on tape unless he's given the free lane to build that speed up. He's not short area fast like Chark is.

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah.  All this stuff.

He's definitely one of those "looks better on paper" guys.  Just doesn't impress as a WR on tape.  Part of that being the inept QB play behind him...but he simply doesn't seem to dominate the opportunities that he does get, at an elite 1st round prospect sort of level.  A lot of tools to work with, but a lot of work to do in honing them into a quality NFL WR too.

Competitiveness feels optional for him at times. Needs to play with more consistent urgency. Struggles with physical cornerbacks. Crowded and harassed by North Carolina's M.J. Stewart and finished with just one catch. Routes and stems are rounded. Needs to do better at disguising route breaks. Doesn't create as much downfield separation as he could with better route leverage. Doesn't extend to pluck and allows throws to get into him. Hand strength is below average. Has catches that turn into drops due to lack of hand strength through contact. Body positioning and ball adjustments down the field are just OK.

- Lance Zierlein

Archived