Why is Equanimeous St. Brown NOT a consensus 1st round pick?

VanS

Apparently the new thought process on stretching is that you shouldn't do it BEFORE hardcore physical activity. You should be doing it AFTER though.

The thought behind it is that when you stretch your muscles, you break down the tight-firing mechanisms that exist within the muscle fiber. While this might be true, it also prevents you from ripping a hamstring open.

That being said, I wouldn't want a 20-something year old kid telling me why he's not going to do something that everyone in the NFL does. Players that command baggage like that are not worth it unless they're superstars. ESB is not a superstar, despite having superstar measurables. He plays much smaller than his size and shuts down against physical press coverage. I thought he went right about where he should have gone BEFORE I heard about all this baggage he is apparently bringing to the table.

26 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Apparently the new thought process on stretching is that you shouldn't do it BEFORE hardcore physical activity. You should be doing it AFTER though.

The thought behind it is that when you stretch your muscles, you break down the tight-firing mechanisms that exist within the muscle fiber. While this might be true, it also prevents you from ripping a hamstring open.

That being said, I wouldn't want a 20-something year old kid telling me why he's not going to do something that everyone in the NFL does. Players that command baggage like that are not worth it unless they're superstars. ESB is not a superstar, despite having superstar measurables. He plays much smaller than his size and shuts down against physical press coverage. I thought he went right about where he should have gone BEFORE I heard about all this baggage he is apparently bringing to the table.

Plus let’s face it - ESB didn’t likely get this info from an exhaustive list of expert opinion.   This originally came from Deion Sanders when he was at the height of his popularity.   So it’s suspect at best.  FWIW the thinking is that you should stretch before & after.     You outlined the reason why it's not recommended to not stretch before.  But I truly doubt ESB & his family even got that much of an "expert" opinion.   And I’m being very kind to them when I say the above.   But the rest of the take you have fits 100 percent.   

Besides, if I were the Packers I’d tell him he’s going to have to play ST and succeed if he wants to stick.  And as for cheetahs not stretching, if I were the Packers I'd show him this...

cheetah-stretching-9524839.jpg

You definitely don’t want to overstretch pre-workout. More important to do a few dynamic movements and get the blood going (make muscles warmer) than it is to actually stretch them. You don’t want to be tight, but you also don’t want to be too loose as it weakens the muscles fibers. 

The more common static stretching should be done afterwords. 

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

You definitely don’t want to overstretch pre-workout. More important to do a few dynamic movements and get the blood going (make muscles warmer) than it is to actually stretch them. You don’t want to be tight, but you also don’t want to be too loose as it weakens the muscles fibers. 

The more common static stretching should be done afterwords. 

That’s the issue.  Overstretching is a risk.  No stretching is just as if not more unwise.  Post-exercise stretching is a good idea all around.  

Again though there’s no indication  ESB put any real thought or sought out expert advice.   Clearly the downgrade in his draft stock wasn’t because of that position but the problems in his decision making / mindset (he refused to play ST? Man total diva label). 

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

That’s the issue.  Overstretching is a risk.  No stretching is just as if not more unwise.  Post-exercise stretching is a good idea all around.  

Again though there’s no indication  ESB put any real thought or sought out expert advice.   Clearly the downgrade in his draft stock wasn’t because of that position but the problems in his decision making / mindset (he refused to play ST? Man total diva label). 

Yeah, it’s just a little tidbit I thought I’d throw in, since we’re talking about it.

His tank to UDFA has a lot more to do with his inconsistent play and attitude than it does stretching or not stretching, obviously.

Do we think his dad is that big a part in this? For instance, if there were a prospect like Calvin Ridley (good receiver, first round talent but not world breaking) that had a dad like Lavar Ball (speaks out against coaches, lives in the media spotlight, outspoken, ruffles feathers, manages his son, etc.) - what kind of fall would there be?

Not sure St. Brown’s dad fits that bill, but it sounds like he sort of wants to.

4 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Yeah, it’s just a little tidbit I thought I’d throw in, since we’re talking about it.

His tank to UDFA has a lot more to do with his inconsistent play and attitude than it does stretching or not stretching, obviously.

Do we think his dad is that big a part in this? For instance, if there were a prospect like Calvin Ridley (good receiver, first round talent but not world breaking) that had a dad like Lavar Ball (speaks out against coaches, lives in the media spotlight, outspoken, ruffles feathers, manages his son, etc.) - what kind of fall would there be?

Not sure St. Brown’s dad fits that bill, but it sounds like he sort of wants to.

Yeah don’t get me wrong if ESB balled out in 2017 he’d only get dinged so much.   But regressing means his ability to separate at the NFL level is very much in question.   Let’s face it the big bodied college guy who can’t separate with the jump to NFL size and speed is the biggest fear teams have.  

And yeah his dad seems like a big part of the attitude / belief system.  Not wanting to play ST is one thing.  Refusing to outright?   You only get that sense of entitlement from your parents (or rather they enable it at best; at worst they drive it).  

16 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Courtesy of @CalhounLambeau McGinn explains why ESB might have fallen so hard.  Sounds like diva and bad influence from dad, along with bad tape in 2017 re: effort and production, all dinged him.  

More talented than the usual UDFA for sure.  But he better be ok with playing ST - that’s how you stick on a roster early in your career:

Norris’ info might be more entertaining though.   The old Deion Sanders reasoning: 

O.o

Thank you for posting.  I was wondering why he fell so far in the draft.  I thought he was a lock to go in Day 2 even with the limited production in 2017 because of his physical tools.  The fact he fell because of his father and some of the personality quirks makes more sense than anything to do with his talent.

I think St. Brown is gonna make teams look silly for passing on him.  Aaron Rodgers makes wide receivers better than they are and Equanimeous might be the most talented WR he's ever had.  I think he can develop into a star in Green Bay.

14 hours ago, VanS said:

Thank you for posting.  I was wondering why he fell so far in the draft.  I thought he was a lock to go in Day 2 even with the limited production in 2017 because of his physical tools.  The fact he fell because of his father and some of the personality quirks makes more sense than anything to do with his talent.

I think St. Brown is gonna make teams look silly for passing on him.  Aaron Rodgers makes wide receivers better than they are and Equanimeous might be the most talented WR he's ever had.  I think he can develop into a star in Green Bay.

To be clear though attitude only dings you so much.   Callaway has 1st round talent but an even riskier profile than ESB.   And he still went in the 4th.   

I think ESB should have been drafted ahead of a lot of guys who went Day 3 (Simmie Cobbs Jr.  too).  But it’s hard to say he was a 1st round talent.  Day 2 might have been a stretch TBH.  

We were always taught to do more movement stretching before hand like 10yd let kicks, slow movements while we stretches before practice and then after practice we Sat down and slow stretched out all our muscles

Archived