My thoughts on the combine and a mock

Magnus-Viktor

On 3/14/2018 at 8:11 PM, DalCowboyzRule said:

Oh yeah, I mean I was expecting him to be a 5th-7th round pick before the combine, with his combine I think he's a 3rd-4th rounder. His biggest negative is his age, he'll be a 24 year old rookie.

He's kind of a weird player in that he for some reason despite all his physical attributes never really gets open, yet he catches everything in traffic. Just great hands. Good red zone target with his size on fades, slants and comebacks. Tough to bring down in open field. We never really went downfield with him, a lot of short and intermediate stuff. I think we limited him some in that regard. Can line up in the slot and outside. Played some tight end for us too in certain packages. Not really sure if he can contribute on special teams since he never played them here. 

A lazy comparison imo would be Eric Decker-ish. 

Fun fact, he was high school teammates (and college obviously) with Patrick Mahomes, so there's been a lot of thought that he could get drafted by Kansas City but who knows now.

Thanks.  Your thinking is about like mine (except I'd forgotten about him from the '16 season, till I saw him at the combine).  I don't watch Texas Tech that often unless I'm checking out a specific player, even though my cousin was the Masked Rider '02-'03 (she was the first Northerner to do it).  

Did teams usually roll coverages to him, or how did they play him?  If he was on the Steelers, he'd be the #3 WR, with the D also needing to pay special attention to Bell, so he'd certainly get single coverage, by a #3 CB or S even most likely.  The main thing that caught my eye was how he comes down with contested catches so consistently.  I love hands on WRs.  

Eric Decker isn't a horrible comparison either.  I'd say he's closer to Decker than Nelson, except Nelson has better hands than Decker.  A cross of the 2 sounds pretty reasonable.  Nelson was more of a catch and explosive YAC type guy.  Decker was more of a jump ball guy.  

That's interesting about Mahomes.  If he goes in 3-4, he'd be going to a team needing a WR more.  If he goes 5-7, he could go to any team just looking for depth.  Idk the Chiefs situation that much, but I can't think of anything they have at WR that is noteworthy.

3 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I don't think he's nearly as athletic (fast) as Jordy.  He certainly has the hops and agility though.  Statistically, 4.51 to 4.59 backs up my observations.  Cantrell is only 1/4" taller, but is 13 lbs heavier.  

So where do you think he should be drafted?  On the draft simulators and draft sites, I was seeing 7th/PDFA.  I'd put him more in the 3-4 range myself due to lack of speed.  I had forgotten all about him until the combine.  Then I remembered watching him in '16 and being impressed with him.  Definitely would be nice to have a guy like him behind Brown and JuJu.

I stopped trying to project players because it's too irritating.  Carl Lawson is a prime example.  Injuries affected Lawson but not TJ Watt.  

11 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

even though my cousin was the Masked Rider '02-'03 (she was the first Northerner to do it).

Hey that's pretty cool man. Not a lot of people get to do that so that had to be cool for her to experience.

Did teams usually roll coverages to him, or how did they play him?

90% of Big 12 teams sat in a cover 3 cloud against us, basically daring us to run it (which we couldn't do) or complete a ton of short passes in a row which we struggled with because our QB Nic Shimonek was highly inaccurate all year. We really used Cantrell a lot on hitches, comebacks, sideline routes etc. Anything he can use his size to "box out" the defender. And like you said yeah he catches everything thrown his way.

Eric Decker isn't a horrible comparison either.  I'd say he's closer to Decker than Nelson, except Nelson has better hands than Decker.  A cross of the 2 sounds pretty reasonable.  Nelson was more of a catch and explosive YAC type guy.  Decker was more of a jump ball guy. 

Yeah he doesn't play nearly as fast as Nelson.

Another thing I didn't mention but I think is undervalued is his blocking is awesome. Definitely a big plus there.

On 3/16/2018 at 8:40 AM, DalCowboyzRule said:

Hey that's pretty cool man. Not a lot of people get to do that so that had to be cool for her to experience.

90% of Big 12 teams sat in a cover 3 cloud against us, basically daring us to run it (which we couldn't do) or complete a ton of short passes in a row which we struggled with because our QB Nic Shimonek was highly inaccurate all year. We really used Cantrell a lot on hitches, comebacks, sideline routes etc. Anything he can use his size to "box out" the defender. And like you said yeah he catches everything thrown his way.

Yeah he doesn't play nearly as fast as Nelson.

Another thing I didn't mention but I think is undervalued is his blocking is awesome. Definitely a big plus there.

Yeah that branch of the family (my grandpa's sisters' families that live out in cowboy/ranch country) is really big into rodeo, starting rodeos around here and doing all kinds of trick riding back in the day, and she was Miss Rodeo South Dakota back in the day as well, so it was a natural fit.  

The sideline routes are what I recall seeing Cantrell do the most in 2016 when I watched more.  He's definitely my type of WR.  I just wish he had a little more vertical and separation ability.  

His blocking is part of why I think the Steelers might target him. JuJu was drafted partially because of his blocking from what I recall.  

Archived