The Random Thread (TAJT!)

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m just the muscle and handyman behind it. And by handyman... I mean her and my brother telling me what I need to do next.

Ha Ha. Welcome to the world of homeownership. Like you 30 years ago, I knew little and relied on my father-in-law. Luckily, he was very handy and patient.  Unless you plan on hiring someone to do even simple things like install a new water valve or install a new electrical outlet, you will learn like many of us. By the way, Sharkbite valves are your friend. Greatest invention since sliced bread. YouTube is also great for help. The work will never end and I don’t mind it as I get satisfaction from fixing or doing something but I am starting to get less motivated.

Good Luck and enjoy the ride. It is worth it. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, xrade said:

Ha Ha. Welcome to the world of homeownership. Like you 30 years ago, I knew little and relied on my father-in-law. Luckily, he was very handy and patient.  Unless you plan on hiring someone to do even simple things like install a new water valve or install a new electrical outlet, you will learn like many of us. By the way, Sharkbite valves are your friend. Greatest invention since sliced bread. YouTube is also great for help. The work will never end and I don’t mind it as I get satisfaction from fixing or doing something but I am starting to get less motivated.

Good Luck and enjoy the ride. It is worth it. 

I've been a home owner for like the last 10 years. But this is our 1st time really having to remodel things and build a whole outdoor area. My house I just moved from was newer and had a small yard. So this is all exciting and a bit scary at the same time. Just want to make the yard a whole other huge area to hang out as well as leaving a lot of play area for the kids. The way I see it is if my house is 3200 sq ft but I can add 1000 sq ft of nice outdoor living as well... that should be plenty of space for my family and to entertain parties and such. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I've been a home owner for like the last 10 years. But this is our 1st time really having to remodel things and build a whole outdoor area. My house I just moved from was newer and had a small yard. So this is all exciting and a bit scary at the same time. Just want to make the yard a whole other huge area to hang out as well as leaving a lot of play area for the kids. The way I see it is if my house is 3200 sq ft but I can add 1000 sq ft of nice outdoor living as well... that should be plenty of space for my family and to entertain parties and such. 

So your not new, my bad. I live in PA in the mountains. Not a level piece of land anywhere and I swear the rocks just grow here. I can’t dig a hole without spending an inordinate amount of time and effort. In short, it sucks. Having lived in Texas briefly while serving, it seems to be a little easier for yard work. Good Luck. 

My best moment of being "handyman" was to put a funnel in the drain pipe (AC) inside the wall.  I live near train railroad so my house has been rocked by train vibration everyday and poor made connector failed. I didn't want to pull the lower pipe up to reconnect the upper pipe because I concerned about water discharge spilling on wood under floor.

30 minutes ago, xrade said:

So your not new, my bad. I live in PA in the mountains. Not a level piece of land anywhere and I swear the rocks just grow here. I can’t dig a hole without spending an inordinate amount of time and effort. In short, it sucks. Having lived in Texas briefly while serving, it seems to be a little easier for yard work. Good Luck. 

I have resided many locations and 2 spots in the Appalachian Mountains were where I never paid or ordered water.   I need to figure out how to get back to live near the mountain because I am so tired of disposing a tonne of plastic containers.😔

2 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

I have resided many locations and 2 spots in the Appalachian Mountains were where I never paid or ordered water.   I need to figure out how to get back to live near the mountain because I am so tired of disposing a tonne of plastic containers.😔

I have a water-well. Great because I don’t have a water bill. Bad because I have no water if power goes out unless I run my generator. Also, it cost $1500 to replace several years ago and you’re at the mercy of the water quality from the aquifer.

8 minutes ago, xrade said:

I have a water-well. Great because I don’t have a water bill. Bad because I have no water if power goes out unless I run my generator. Also, it cost $1500 to replace several years ago and you’re at the mercy of the water quality from the aquifer.

yeah... power outrage and frozen pipe are my biggest concerns.  When I am ready to redo the pump house/area I have to make sure I have solutions to set up there.

2 hours ago, xrade said:

My uncle has a vacation home at Lake Wallenpaupack. Is that close?

The ground here in Texas is so hard. An oddly all pools are in ground. Not above grounds pretty much. Which we prefer in ground anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

My uncle has a vacation home at Lake Wallenpaupack. Is that close?

The ground here in Texas is so hard. An oddly all pools are in ground. Not above grounds pretty much. Which we prefer in ground anyway. 

Lake W is within an hours drive. It is north of me.

I have an above ground pool now. I had an in-ground when I lived in NJ. I just can’t justify the expense and maintenance for an in-ground pool. My wife is the only big user. Good thing about Texas is the longer swim season and warmth of the water. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, xrade said:

Lake W is within an hours drive. It is north of me.

I have an above ground pool now. I had an in-ground when I lived in NJ. I just can’t justify the expense and maintenance for an in-ground pool. My wife is the only big user. Good thing about Texas is the longer swim season and warmth of the water. 

Very cool.

Yes we figure with putting in a pool in a year or 2 that's still having a pool when the kids will be under 5 still. So they have their whole childhood to play in it. And the hot tub will be there for colder days as well.

17 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Very cool.

Yes we figure with putting in a pool in a year or 2 that's still having a pool when the kids will be under 5 still. So they have their whole childhood to play in it. And the hot tub will be there for colder days as well.

Hot tub. Yes. I would love to get one. 

• 2 weeks later...