2018 NFL Free Agency

Louis Friend

1 hour ago, flyguy1609 said:

Like Wiggins, I think they're just adding depth to the roster so they have flexibility when the draft rolls around. Maybe they expect coaching to help bump a guy up production wise.

41 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Like Wiggins, I think they're just adding depth to the roster so they have flexibility when the draft rolls around. Maybe they expect coaching to help bump a guy up production wise.

Lol what the hell.

We're in deep trouble if both these guys end up starting is what you are trying to say very, very politely.

21 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Lions sign former Falcons TE Levine Toilolo

4th Round pick in 2013 draft. 6'8 and 265 lbs. He's a vet presence to add some experience in the room.

Yeah, this signing actually doesn't bother me. They needed someone they could bring in as a sixth blocker who could do really well. I'm not sure why Atlanta didn't bring him back.

1 minute ago, SimbaWho said:

Lol what the hell.

We're in deep trouble if both these guys end up starting is what you are trying to say very, very politely.

I don't know about Johnson but Wiggins has familiarity with the scheme. Both are vet guys that can play in the league - at least at an average level. I believe Johnson started 14 games for the Jets last season. Did he rank favourably? No, he did not. He was still a starter for an extended period of time, which doesn't hurt us if we are looking to bring him in as a depth player.

10 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I don't know about Johnson but Wiggins has familiarity with the scheme. Both are vet guys that can play in the league - at least at an average level. I believe Johnson started 14 games for the Jets last season. Did he rank favourably? No, he did not. He was still a starter for an extended period of time, which doesn't hurt us if we are looking to bring him in as a depth player.

You're right, last part is right.

But so is my statement still too, we're in big trouble if Lions are going to rely on these two as starters, even one.

They need to bring in a LG veteran and rookie. I suppose I don't mind bringing in a veteran C for competition but I would still bring in a late round pick or even an UDFA for competition, almost specifically for the back up role with the chance to exceed expectations. I mean man, everything basically points to the two guys we already had last year were or are better than this guy?...

I might have to look at Luke Joeckel for similar money that Wiggins got for LG competition as a starter. When with Seattle he wasn't terrible but no real stand out in the run game but a solid interior pass protector which would play into the Lions strengths.

4 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

You're right, last part is right.

But so is my statement still too, we're in big trouble if Lions are going to rely on these two as starters, even one.

They need to bring in a LG veteran and rookie. I suppose I don't mind bringing in a veteran C for competition but I would still bring in a late round pick or even an UDFA for competition, almost specifically for the back up role with the chance to exceed expectations.

I might have to look at Luke Joeckel for similar money that Wiggins got for LG competition as a starter. When with Seattle he wasn't terrible but no real stand out in the run game but a solid interior pass protector which would play into the Lions strengths.

Neither of us are wrong but it's also super early. If a guy like Billy Price is available in the 2nd or Isaiah Wynn drops to us in the 1st we just might address that spot using the draft. We are going to bring in at least one guy on the OL via the draft. I suspect it'll be within the first 3 rounds and then someone else rounds 5-7. More than likely we will add an extra 2-3 picks via trade allowing multiple selections there.

The Pats place a strong emphasis on the trenches making multiple picks and building up the lines on either side.

On 3/29/2018 at 1:01 PM, SimbaWho said:

Joeckel isn't good and will continue to blow out his knee every once in a while if he doesn't learn how to fix his pass set. He isn't worth more than the minimum. He is isn't good (Joe Dahl is significantly better) and he's going to get injured again eventually because he sets with his knees outside of his ankles placing all of the stress on his knee. I would prefer what they have on the roster already or go with some UDFA over Joeckel. 

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:30 PM, IDOG_det said:

Joeckel isn't good and will continue to blow out his knee every once in a while if he doesn't learn how to fix his pass set. He isn't worth more than the minimum. He is isn't good (Joe Dahl is significantly better) and he's going to get injured again eventually because he sets with his knees outside of his ankles placing all of the stress on his knee. I would prefer what they have on the roster already or go with some UDFA over Joeckel. 

Injury's aside...  Joeckel over Dahl easily come on. Joeckel wasn't actually terrible in Seattle at LG. Dahl is basically an unkown with the same injury history. I don't know why it's so favored. For what three starts against non-playoff/hapless teams last year in CHI/CIN/GB?

I'm not over here pimping Joeckel like a pro-bowler either though. He's very average to me for a LG. If Joe Dahl was better than him, wouldn't surprise me either.

It's prolly not Joeckel or Dahl really but I think we both agree a real upgrade/option is needed at LG.

2 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Injury's aside...  Joeckel over Dahl easily come on. Joeckel wasn't actually terrible in Seattle at LG. Dahl is basically an unkown with the same injury history. I don't know why it's so favored. For what three starts against non-playoff/hapless teams last year in CHI/CIN/GB?

I'm not over here pimping Joeckel like a pro-bowler either though. He's very average to me for a LG. If Joe Dahl was better than him, wouldn't surprise me either.

It's prolly not Joeckel or Dahl really but I think we both agree a real upgrade/option is needed at LG.

Watch Joe Dahl at the end of the year and then watch Luke Joeckel at any point in his career. Dahl was better. Joeckel actually was not good for Seattle. Dahl doesn't have the same injury history, he hasn't completely shredded his knee and his injuries were not a result of a technical flaw putting too much stress on one joint. Regardless of what you think about the teams Dahl played against, the players he played against were undeniably good competition to evaluate him against. Watch his performance against Mike Daniels and then criticize the quality of what he played against (hint: you'd be crazy to do so). Joeckel would a legitimately bad signing that would make the team worse and take away money that should be spent elsewhere. 

I want an upgrade at LG, thats true. Joeckel is far from that. Dahl could develop into a good starter and I wouldn't be surprised if they move of from TJ Lang after next season and try to replace him with Joe Dahl. 

23 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

I was listening to the cbs pick 6 podcast from april 2, and there is a rumor Gronk maybe available? they said a 3rd-4th pick maybe able to get him, would you do that? a 3rd rd pick for gronk

For a 4th, I would be on board with that. He's one of the best players at the position when healthy. He would address a need on the roster as well. I don't think it's as glaring a need as LG, DT, DE, RB but it's still a need.

I don't know what his contract looks like so I don't know if it would make sense that way. We would also need to acquire at least an extra pick or two in the draft to make that worthwhile. We're already down to 6 picks as it is.

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

For a 4th, I would be on board with that. He's one of the best players at the position when healthy. He would address a need on the roster as well. I don't think it's as glaring a need as LG, DT, DE, RB but it's still a need.

I don't know what his contract looks like so I don't know if it would make sense that way. We would also need to acquire at least an extra pick or two in the draft to make that worthwhile. We're already down to 6 picks as it is.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/rob-gronkowski-6551/

if we made a move for him..I would just want reassurance for him that hed be on board for this year and he doesn't retire like he was telling ppl he was thinking about

7 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/rob-gronkowski-6551/

if we made a move for him..I would just want reassurance for him that hed be on board for this year and he doesn't retire like he was telling ppl he was thinking about

At that kind of money, I'm not sure that I would actually take it on. There is no question that Gronk is a much better player than Ebron. However Ebron didn't have the same injury history and was actually cheaper. This kind of move would make a pretty sizable impact on our cap space.

I'd rather just wait for the Pats to cut him and get him on a 3 year $7M/year deal.

He wouldn't even sign here if he got released/cut.

I think you have to trade for him if you're the Lions and want him, that being said, man idk, the back injuries and stuff. It's risky I don't think I'd do this one actually unless it's a 4th round pick. Good player no doubt but whatever team is inheriting a lot of risk/money. A healthy Gronk would make the offense really solid, and give the Lions a punchers chance for the Division.

Idk why the Patriots would want to trade him for just a 4th round pick though unless they feel he's just got one year left in him and want the money off the books.

4 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

At that kind of money, I'm not sure that I would actually take it on. There is no question that Gronk is a much better player than Ebron. However Ebron didn't have the same injury history and was actually cheaper. This kind of move would make a pretty sizable impact on our cap space.

I'd rather just wait for the Pats to cut him and get him on a 3 year $7M/year deal.

He wouldn't take that deal... There are rumors he's tired of taking pay cuts for the pats. If he's cut he's likely going to want to be the highest paid TE in the NFL.

Archived