BF004 Mock Offseason v.004

BrettFavre004

A BF Mock                    

giphy.gif    

tenor.gif    

Current Status                    

Packers end the year 7-9 and pick 14th                    

Packers enter the 2018 offseason with 162M in cap liability                    

Packers enter in to the offseason with 17M in cap space                    

Roster Moves                    

Released/Restructured                    
    Randall Cobb        -    Cobb is released and we try to resign him, but he is hurt and goes for a big payday elswhere, saving up 9 million on the 2018 Cap        
    Jordy Nelson        -    Jordy gets extended and takes a paycut, he is signed for 2 years for $12 million, lowering his 2018 cap hit by $4 million.        
    Aaron Rodgers        -    Rodgers gets 4 more years at 32 per, effective 6 year 170 million (~28M per), lowering the 2018 cap number by 8 million        

Not Retained                    
    Ahmad Brooks        -    Hasn't really proven his worth and isn't getting younger                
    Quinton Dial        -    Stop gap, but we roll with the younger guys        
    Jahri Evans        -    We look to the young guys and possible draft additions to help        

** Packers now have 35 million (38 - 3 million rookie pool) to work with                        
CwlrG6vsRdBa3PkEMOGw_Magic%20Money.gif    

Retained                    
    Jeff Janis        -    Core special teamer, 2 years for 3 million        
    Richard Rodgers        -    Another guys that's just good to have, 3 years for 9 million        
    Morgan Burnett        -    We got some money to spend and he makes our defense better, 3 more years for 24 million        
    Davon House         -     1 more year at $2.5 million, I like his possible fit in Pettine's D,  little guaranteed, not a lock to make the roster        

Retentions take cap down to about 20 million                        

Free Agents - Woohoo!!  Offseason Champs                    
Still with roughly 20 million after resigning our own, Gutey looks to add some immediate help                        

Muhammed Wilkerson        -    3 year - 35 million contract, quite similar to Julius Pepper's contract where it will be easy to cut ties each year, but hopefully we can keep him around in a perpetual contract year        
Calvin+Pace+Muhammad+Wilkerson+New+York+    

Alex Okafor        -    1 year - 4 million, Had a decent year in New Orleans, some experienced youth who can help provide quality depth and not force our hand in the draft        
Aaron+Rodgers+Alex+Okafor+Green+Bay+Pack    

Drew Stanton        -    2 years and 5 million for the experienced vet.  We have had no success 'developing' QB's since the new CBA and limited time, this will free up McCarthy to not have to waste any time doing so and trusting the vet to the position coaches.        
stantondance.0.0.gif    

Prince Amukamara         -     1 year - 5 million - Will likely be only him or Davon House on the active roster, whoever is healthiest at the end of TC        
2016-09-11T194011Z_1563305441_NOCID_RTRM    

Josh Sitton         -     2 years - 13 million, easy out after first year.  Lot of reasons why he can fit back, possibly some reasons it wouldn't be a fit, in the end, both sides agree to suck it up and do what makes most sense for both parties        
ab9f9935c053701455e542f331fb0e7d--packer    

giphy.gif    

NFL DRAFT                    

**** TRADE *****                    
    Packers get pick #21 from Buffalo, their 2nd and a 2019 4th                    
    With 11 picks in this draft, I think a good strategy for this draft would be to get 2 extra picks for the 2019 draft.  Buffalo moves up to get a QB ahead of Arizona                    

Round 1 - Pick 21 (From Buffalo)                    
    Leighton Vander Esch            - LB - Boise State - 6'4 - 256        
LVEg2.gif
LVE1b.gif
LVE.jpg
    Has been linked to the Packers, big impressive physical speciman.  Play a lot of off ball LB but blitzes a lot and is effective.  Could have a shot at playing outside but likely will play inside and move around wherever needed.  True 3 down potential LB, good in coverage and a good pass rusher. http://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/04/leighton-vander-esch-scouting-report-nfl-combine-buffalo-bills/                  

**** TRADE *****                    
    Packers trade their 2nd (14) and their 4th (comp) and 6th (comp) to move up to pick 32 from Philly                    

Round 1 - Pick 32 (From Jacksonville)                    
    Mike Hughes             - CB - Central Florida - 5'11" 191        
    MikeHughes-UCFCB-BreaksOnBallTackleWOW_j            
    xsUah2b.gif                        
    Central+Florida+v+SMU+7uSqWGmLE2Hl.jpg                        
    I think most were expecting better than his 4.53 40 but was quite impressive everywhere else, 20 reps, 36 vertical, 10'7" broad and 6.70 3 cone.  Physical corner, raw with only 1 year starting and 2 years playing CB, but only allowed a QB rating of 43.9 when targetted last year and had 4 picks.                     

Round 2 - Pick 21 (From Buffalo)                    
    Michael Gallup            - WR - Colorado - 6'1" 205        
michael_gallup_3.gif    
W7plJW.gif    
20171120__21rhscsufbGallupw~1.jpg    
Love this WR, tough off the line, good catcher, fearless over the middle, makes contested catches

Round 3 - Pick 27                    
    Ian Thomas            - TE - Indiana - 6'4" 259        
    6_8074821.jpg    
    Freak athletic TE, kind of doubt he lasts this long after the combine, but still available on this board. https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ian-thomas?id=32462018-0002-5598-49c6-a898fedcd981                  

@ByRyanWood    #Packers seem to be aggressively exploring TE draft class. Indiana’s Ian Thomas, a good athlete who modeled his game off Jimmy Graham, says he’s expecting formal interview with GB tonight at NFL scouting combine.        

Round 4th - Pick 35 - Comp Pick                    
    Geron Christian            - OT/OG - Louisville - Sr - 6'5" 315        
LOUISVILLEchristian.jpg    
    39 game starter at both guard and left and right tackle.  I would try to plug him into the RT battle first and then see if he needs to move inside to guard.                    

Round 5 - Pick 35 (comp)                    
    Chukwuma Okorafor            - G/T - Western Michigan - rSr - 6'6" 330        
B99545444Z.1_20170619160541_000_GA81HGO3                        
    Versatile lineman to play inside or out.  Hopefully can compete for an open RT position in 2019 or provide a valuable backup                    

Round 6 - Pick 9                    
    Donovan Wilson            - CB/S - Texam A&M - rSr - 6'1" 205        
Seo9B8k.gif                        
Gabe+Myles+Donovan+Wilson+pJa_PoxEb-Zm.j                        
    I really don't like our current corners, need more competition here.  Made Mel Kiper's top 5 CB's entering 2018 list at #4, however was injured the entire year with a foot injury.  Has played safety in the past as well, physical player                    

Round 6 - Pick 17                    
    Jack Cichy            - ILB - Wisconsin - rJr - 6'2" 233        
giphy.gif                        
jack-cichy-1024.jpg                        
    I love me some Badgers, tore his ACL last year but played little, but very athletic LB, should be full go by TC.                    

Depth Chart                                        

Offense                                        
    QB:        Aaron Rodgers    -    Drew Stanton    -    Stormin' Joe Callahan    -    Brett Hundley        
    RB:        Jamal Williams    -    Aaron Jones    -    Devante Mays                
    FB:        Aaron Ripkowski    -    Joe Kerridge    -                    
    WR1:        Jordy Nelson    -    Michael Gallup    -    Trevor Davis    -    Jeff Janis    -    Michael Clark
    WR2:        Davante Adams    -    Ty Montgomerey    -    Geronomo Allison    -    Deangelo Yancey        
    TE:        Richard Rodgers    -    Lance Kendricks    -    Ian Thomas    -    Emanuel Byrd        
    LT:        David Bakhtiari    -    Jason Spriggs    -                    
    LG:        Lane Taylor    -    Patrick Lucas    -    Ulrick John                
    C:        Corey Linsley    -    Justin McCray    -                    
    RG:        Josh Sitton    -    Geron Christian    -                    
    RT:        Brian Bulaga    -    Kyle Murphy    -    Chukwuma Okorafor                

Defense                                        
    LE:        Mike Daniels    -    Iziah Lunsford                        
    NT:        Kenny Clark    -    Montravious Adams                        
    RE:        Muhammed Wilkerson        Dean Lowry                        
    LOLB:        Nick Perry    -    Alex Okafor    -    Kyler Fackrell    -    Chris Odom        
    ILB:        Leighton Vander Esch    -    Jake Ryan                        
    ILB:        Blake Martinez    -    Joe Thomas        Jack Cichy                
    ROLB:        Clay Matthews    -    Vince Beigel    -    Chris Odom                
    CB1:        Kevin King    -    Mike Hughes    -    Herb Waters    -    Herb Waters        
    CB2:        Prince Amukamara    -    Davon House    -    Donatello Brown    -    Demitri Goodson        
    CB3:        Damarious Randall    -    Josh Hawkins        Donovan Wilson        Quinten Rollins        
    SS:        Morgan Burnett    -    Josh Jones    -    Jermaine Whitehead                
    FS:        HaHa Clinton Dix    -    Kentrell Brice    -    Marwin Evans                                    

Best-simpsons-gifs-dancing-ape.gif

I'm gonna ignore some of the contract numbers and go from there. Sitton won't come back, but I appreciate having an upgrade at RG. Would rather see Jordy and Cobb flipped but thats semantics.

The free agents are excellent... I love adding a vet corner like Prince, but I don't agree with re-signing House, and signing Prince, and moving up and taking Hughes. Too much, it would be King and Prince starting, Randall star, House and Hughes splitting time for CB4 and 5? Love adding a vet QB. 

Depending on how the draft board falls, trading back and still getting LVE is excellent. Trading up and getting Hughes at 32 is great. Still getting Gallup that late in the 2nd is amazing. Love Ian Thomas. 

We don't really address edge with only Okafor, but you can't get everything. I would probably add a rotational edge instead of Sitton and Okafor and roll the remaining cap over I think this would be a pretty damn great off season in my mind

I like it  for the most part.

Really not a fan of letting Cobb go only to spend money on Morgan Burnett. I like Burnett, but he's older and its time to move on. Cobb can still ball and  I think he stays.

I think Sitton Burned too many bridges

Isn't Mike Hughes  too short?

Love Gallup.

Draft is great as well as FAs, except for the OL. I don't see any way Sitton and Mac reunite. I think both of them wanted to be rid of each other badly, Sitton's post game comments after we beat up on the Bears make him sound like a bitter *** and I don't want him anywhere near this team.

The draft OL I don't see us being on if our athletic equations are still in place. Neither tested well. Noteboom, Sent, Gossett, Phillips, Teller, Quessenberry, Richardson are all names around the cutoff of what we look for.

I was high on Vander Esch until I saw his BYU tape. Vander Esch is an ILB, not an EDGE rusher. I think we can do better and I don't like the idea of trading down at the moment.

That said, the only pick that really stood out to me as a bit of a must-have is Jack Cichy. I know he's coming off injury, but you can't teach the kind of toughness and ball skills the man possesses. 

13 minutes ago, Joe said:

I was high on Vander Esch until I saw his BYU tape. Vander Esch is an ILB, not an EDGE rusher. I think we can do better and I don't like the idea of trading down at the moment.

Is he more than the bookend to Jake Ryan?

Archived