Life after Joe Thomas

CBrownsman

We have been so spoiled for so long with never having to worry about the Left Tackle position, its hard to imagine having to come up with a plan to replace Joe...

I'm just curious what you guys think the best option is?

If we find out in the next week that Joe is retiring, I'm bouncing back and fourth between between 2 options.

1. Spending too much money (which is what we have) on Nate Solder, as he has been a better than average LT (I'm certainly not saying great, but I can see him as being more than serviceable next to Joel Bitonio).  We are going to save another 13.5 million on the cap not having to pay Thomas for this season, might as well use that money and go out and get someone who can play for another 3-5 years while we look for the heir apparent.  I think eventually we will be in position to draft someone in the right place at the right time and cut the last few years on Solders contract making him a REALLY good stop gap, and something we can afford to do for a few years. 

2. Making a trade in the draft (either up from the 2nd round or down from #4) and take Connor Williams (or Mike McGlinchey).  Connor Williams is personally one of my draft crushes as he was absolutely DOMINANT in 2015 and 2016 as the LT on texas, he had a leg injury last year and wasn't as quick laterally and now everyone thinks he can only be a guard because of it.  I think when the injury is completely healed and he is back to being himself he can be a dominant LT in the NFL for years.  I'm also fine with them making a move for Mike McGlichey, I think he an be serviceable and a good LT for years also, but I don't trust any other LT in the draft to be a starter in the NFL blind side right away...

I know there are other options out there, I've heard people talk about moving Joel Bitonio back to Left Tackle which is where he finished his career in College.  Or possibly Moving Sean Coleman from RT to LT and finding a new RT.  Or drafting Quinton Nelson to play LT instead of guard.  But I think that's just trying to find a square peg and fit it into a round hole, I think if we want to protect whoever we are bringing in (in free agency and as a rookie) we are going to need to do something.

All and all if we hear Joe is retiring, we need to do something,  I just don't want to be in a position where our rookie QB is getting killed because his blind side isn't being protected. 

If we hear he is staying for another year I'm pretty sure he will just play out his contract and walk away (from the browns at least) so we need to start figuring out something.

What is your opinion?

I think that LT is obviously a huge position of need as long as you have a Franchise caliber QB. You need that guy to protect his blind side, pick up blitzes, communicate, etc. But, as AWESOME as JT is, we've seen that the LT position itself will not correlate to wins without said Franchise QB.

I'd rather have an above average to good LT and a franchise QB than the opposite.

No way I'm taking an OT at #4, even if Nelson can play there at an elite level, unless I have a Franchise guy at #1 and address other spots like CB/RB/WR in free agency.

I wouldn't be opposed to someone like McGlinchey or Williams in the 2nd though.

Solder is 30, so I don't think he's a long term solution.

Nate Solder would be far and away the best option, but I don’t think Thomas is retiring.

I think we have one more year, but we had better address it somehow this off-season. I’d rather not go into next year with an unknown rookie or mediocre vet at arguably the second most important position on offense who will be protecting our young QB’s blind side.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think that LT is obviously a huge position of need as long as you have a Franchise caliber QB. You need that guy to protect his blind side, pick up blitzes, communicate, etc. But, as AWESOME as JT is, we've seen that the LT position itself will not correlate to wins without said Franchise QB.

I'd rather have an above average to good LT and a franchise QB than the opposite.

No way I'm taking an OT at #4, even if Nelson can play there at an elite level, unless I have a Franchise guy at #1 and address other spots like CB/RB/WR in free agency.

I wouldn't be opposed to someone like McGlinchey or Williams in the 2nd though.

Solder is 30, so I don't think he's a long term solution.

I don't see McGlinchey falling to the 2nd.  You would need to trade up to get one of them.

Soldier is 30, but not a long term solution.  3 years while we search for the answer. be it find a first rounder or give us time to develop a later round pick.

Just now, CBrownsman said:

I don't see McGlinchey falling to the 2nd.  You would need to trade up to get one of them.

Maybe. Jeremiah and at least one other guy has him dropping to the 2nd.

Just now, CBrownsman said:

Soldier is 30, but not a long term solution.  3 years while we search for the answer. be it find a first rounder or give us time to develop a later round pick.

If JT retires, I'd overpay him for 2-4 years while I figure out the other spots. If JT returns, I'm not targeting him.

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Maybe. Jeremiah and at least one other guy has him dropping to the 2nd.

Its harder to believe after Brown pooped the bed at the combine.  But certainly anything is possible...

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If JT retires, I'd overpay him for 2-4 years while I figure out the other spots. If JT returns, I'm not targeting him.

Yeah Solder wouldn't be an option or a target if Joe doesn't call it a career this week...

I'd rather draft someone at the top of the 2nd round and develop them for the long haul. BPA OT in R2.

Don't sleep on Roderick Johnson. It's a long shot that he becomes a franchise LT, but I actually really like him as a prospect at think he ends up at least becoming our starting RT. If Rod Johnson becomes a great RT, we could always move Shon Coleman to LT and try him out there. He has the athleticism and size to play there. Both would be long shots, but I like our tackle group right now a lot outside of Joe Thomas.

If Kolton Miller (UCLA) or Brian O'Neill (Pitt) are there in the 2nd round, those are my targeted LT's of the future. McGlinchey struggles mightily with speed rushers despite his athletic ability and length. He's projected as more of a RT.

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

I'd rather draft someone at the top of the 2nd round and develop them for the long haul. BPA OT in R2.

Don't sleep on Roderick Johnson. It's a long shot that he becomes a franchise LT, but I actually really like him as a prospect at think he ends up at least becoming our starting RT. If Rod Johnson becomes a great RT, we could always move Shon Coleman to LT and try him out there. He has the athleticism and size to play there. Both would be long shots, but I like our tackle group right now a lot outside of Joe Thomas.

If Kolton Miller (UCLA) or Brian O'Neill (Pitt) are there in the 2nd round, those are my targeted LT's of the future. McGlinchey struggles mightily with speed rushers despite his athletic ability and length. He's projected as more of a RT.

Kolton Miller @ 33 would be a decent option.

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Kolton Miller @ 33 would be a decent option.

Yes it would...he's very inconsistent, but he has every tool to mirror edge rushers and has shut down some really good players. Conversely, he's struggled against future wal-mart employees too. He needs to refine his technique, but if he were an elite technician, he'd be going to the NYG at #2 overall. This class lacks an elite OT prospect, but there are several guys with the framework to become elite-level players.

With Kolton Miller's superb combine numbers, I have a feeling he's going to get pushed up into the late 1st unfortunately. It'd be great if he slid down to us.

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yes it would...he's very inconsistent, but he has every tool to mirror edge rushers and has shut down some really good players. Conversely, he's struggled against future wal-mart employees too. He needs to refine his technique, but if he were an elite technician, he'd be going to the NYG at #2 overall. This class lacks an elite OT prospect, but there are several guys with the framework to become elite-level players.

With Kolton Miller's superb combine numbers, I have a feeling he's going to get pushed up into the late 1st unfortunately. It'd be great if he slid down to us.

I agree, he may go higher than that and his ability is there.

As far as his issues, being able to redshirt him a year would go a long way there imo.

I'm all for packaging a 2nd and 4th to trade up and grab Williams or McGlinchey, whether Joe retires or not. If he doesn't, they can battle for starting at RT and get some seasoning, because it looks like if JT does come back, it may only be for another year, maybe two tops if it looks like we can actually be contenders. 

8 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I would trade up to the back end of the 1st to get a new LT is JT retires. Lock up that 5th year option. 

It also might make sense to trade up to the end of the first round and grab a future left tackle even if Joe doesn't retire. That 5th year option will give us an additional 4 years with that player after this year. Most of us expect Joe to retire by the end of this season, so it's not like that rookie will be waiting very long to play. One year of seasoning may be just what is needed.

Archived