College Pro Days

AFF

42 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I think it's extremely likely that the Rashaan Evans is a pick

I tell you what.  I'm even ok trying to jump up about 8-10 spots to get him.  I think he's that special.  I see a guy with athleticism to cover multiple things but the brain to make the right play.  A CJ Mosley/Don'te Hightower combo of a player.

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

I have unconfirmed (because this person wants to remain anonymous) rumors that in recent pro days members of our staff have had lunches/dinners with:

Vita Vea, Dante Pettis, Luke Falk, Rahsaan Evans, Joshua Frazier, Shaq Jones. 

Vita Vea and Luke Falk are the most interesting names on that list to me.  Idk Frazier or Jones right off hand.  Falk has looked good at times, and I'd sure take him over either of the scrub backup QBs the Steelers have right now.  Vita Vea would be a hell of a tank between Tuitt and Heyward.  I wonder if they're souring on Hargrave already if they're looking at 1st round NTs.  

If Taven Bryan slid a bit he'd be worth a look.  In '19 and '20, the Steelers are set to pay their DEs 25 million a year between the 2.  Heyward is a bit younger than I thought though.  Still only 28 (29 in May, so that is the age I thought he was).  If Tuitt could play the nose (he seems huge to me, and stout) you could get a 1-gapping type DL more with Bryan and Heyward at DE.  But that might be a bad idea to mess with something that is working in moving Tuitt.  But if you're looking at a 1st round DL, Bryan is my pick.  

14 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

Vita Vea and Luke Falk are the most interesting names on that list to me.  Idk Frazier or Jones right off hand.  Falk has looked good at times, and I'd sure take him over either of the scrub backup QBs the Steelers have right now.  Vita Vea would be a hell of a tank between Tuitt and Heyward.  I wonder if they're souring on Hargrave already if they're looking at 1st round NTs.  

If Taven Bryan slid a bit he'd be worth a look.  In '19 and '20, the Steelers are set to pay their DEs 25 million a year between the 2.  Heyward is a bit younger than I thought though.  Still only 28 (29 in May, so that is the age I thought he was).  If Tuitt could play the nose (he seems huge to me, and stout) you could get a 1-gapping type DL more with Bryan and Heyward at DE.  But that might be a bad idea to mess with something that is working in moving Tuitt.  But if you're looking at a 1st round DL, Bryan is my pick.  

Frazier is a lower risk with a higher reward than Vea.  Frazier has the size, strength, and technique to excel in a 34 scheme.  Whenever Alabama played powerful running teams, Frazier got more playing time.  Just watch number 69 on Alabama’s defense and you’ll see a good runstuffer.  He isn’t a passrusher.

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

I tell you what.  I'm even ok trying to jump up about 8-10 spots to get him.  I think he's that special.  I see a guy with athleticism to cover multiple things but the brain to make the right play.  A CJ Mosley/Don'te Hightower combo of a player.

I actually completely agree with you he is the one guy honestly when I look at the draft and I say the one guy but there are other guys but they are not remotely realistic such a snitch that I would love to have but in the range of realism he is the one guy that I really really want the Steelers to get and the funny part is David decastro when we got him was really the one guy I really really wanted to Steelers to draft I mean there were others but David decastro to me was the guy and I didn't expect it but he did fall to us. With Rashaan Evans we're going to go into this draft and everybody and their brother is going to know he is high on our board so the thing that we need to be most concerned about is who in front of us might want him or who behind us is going to trade up to get him. For me I agree I know that we don't have a 4th round pick for a 6th round pick but if we need to trade up to get Rashaan Evans I am for it

It's honestly not very often that the guy comes along that I feel like it's really special and is worth that kind of trade up but sometimes when a guy comes along you just need to do what you need to do to get him. Troy Polamalu was that kind of guy to move up a few spots to get him. I really believe the Rashaan Evans is that kind of guy 

The Wake Forest pro day does not take place until tomorrow, but sources tell me that fast-rising safety Jessie Bates III, who’s moved into the second day of the draft, was seen having dinner this evening with Pittsburgh Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert and head coach Mike Tomlin.

These are things to watch for

Seeing where Tomlin and Colbert go on March 22nd will be interesting.

March 22
» Ashland, 1 p.m.
» Grambling, 10 a.m.
» Massachusetts, 10 a.m.
» Missouri
» Notre Dame, 11 a.m.
» Ohio State, 11 a.m.
» San Diego State, 2 p.m.
» Slippery Rock, 8:30 a.m.
» Stanford, 12 p.m.

On 3/11/2018 at 3:22 PM, Armsteeld2 said:

Frazier is a lower risk with a higher reward than Vea.  Frazier has the size, strength, and technique to excel in a 34 scheme.  Whenever Alabama played powerful running teams, Frazier got more playing time.  Just watch number 69 on Alabama’s defense and you’ll see a good runstuffer.  He isn’t a passrusher.

A guy like that certainly has a place on the team as a late rounder, that's for sure.  It's all about value and putting together the best group of guys possible.

11 hours ago, jebrick said:

Seeing where Tomlin and Colbert go on March 22nd will be interesting.

March 22
» Ashland, 1 p.m.
» Grambling, 10 a.m.
» Massachusetts, 10 a.m.
» Missouri
» Notre Dame, 11 a.m.
» Ohio State, 11 a.m.
» San Diego State, 2 p.m.
» Slippery Rock, 8:30 a.m.
» Stanford, 12 p.m.

So let's see here.  

3 Hour difference from California to Ohio.  So Stanford's Pro Day starts at 3 PM EST.  It's about a 4 hour commercial flight time from Ohio->Cali (LA).  Private planes can do it in 3 hours. Pro Days can last 2-3 hours.

So, Colbert and Tomlin wine and dine an OSU player the night before.  Then they go to the pro day.  See some players run.  Colbert gets on a plane after an hour, flies to Stanford, gets there give or take 30 minutes from the start meets some positional coaches.  Tomlin stays in Columbus for 2 hours (til 1pm) working out players of interest, gets on his own plane, arrives at Stanford 1 hour after it's started, sees the workouts on the field.  They take a prospect out to dinner that night.

Really tight schedule, but can be done.

Archived