We should be happy! Jay Gruden finally got to pick his QB!

It never felt like we had all the pieces for our Head Coach to be successful.

He had to "roll with" what we already had on the roster @ the QB position.

Both Griffin & Cousins were inherited QB's for this new NFL head coach. He had to make best of a situation not totally in his control.

Now, he gets to use his Offense to mold with Alex QB abilities.

Which is very good mobility, very good accuracy & mistake free football finally.

This alone, should do wonders for our Defense.

Maybe I'm alone, but I'm excited & optimistic for the future with Alex Smith at the helm.

And maybe, just maybe, we can finally keep a head coach here & have a resemblance of stability.

Hail To The Redskins!!

Just now, Eric said:

Jay Gruden ain't a bad coach, we've had a lot worse here. So much hate from people. I don't understand it at all.

You're right in that Gruden isn't a bad coach and that we've had a lot worse here.

However, those aren't really high bars to clear.

The question that we (or more appropriately, that the Redskins) need to ask is: is Jay Gruden a good coach? Is he the coach that can lead the Redskins to the Super Bowl?

Maybe with having "his" quarterback(*) will prove to the doubters that the answer to those questions are "yes." Or it could show that he is just a "meh" coach leading a "meh" team through a "meh" period. There are other possibilities as well, but I'd like to keep this conversation focused on Gruden (and Smith, to a lesser extent).

(*) Do we know how much input he had into the selection of Alex Smith? Is Smith the guy he truly wanted or is Smith the guy he was given? I ask because I would think an alleged quarterback whisperer would want a guy he could show developed due to his input, not a guy who had been in the league 12 years.

No we don't or will we know how much of a say he had in acquiring Alex Smith. What I do know is this team went through Cravens situation right before the season, the injuries that piled up before we ever got a chance to get going last season and the Cousins situation that was held over the organization all year. He held this team together and they played their outmanned rearends off all year.

Good coaching is not just about wins and losses, it's much more than that. Building a solid program takes time and it doesn't happen overnight though I do believe we're alot closer to it than we have been in a long time.

As far as taking us to the Superbowl, ask the same question to the other 30 coaches that didn't win it last year. Have some faith 

40 minutes ago, Eric said:

As far as taking us to the Superbowl, ask the same question to the other 30 coaches that didn't win it last year. Have some faith

Okay, variant of the question then: are the Redskins any closer to making a run at the Super Bowl than they were when he was hired? Is progress being made from a coaching perspective?

Honestly, I don't know. Maybe Smith is the one piece that catalyzes the team (I will admit I would be shocked, but I've been wrong before).

14 minutes ago, Woz said:

are the Redskins any closer to making a run at the Super Bowl than they were when he was hired? Is progress being made from a coaching perspective?

Tough question to answer.  I would have said yes under McCloughan, we seemed to have a unified plan from front office down to the coaching staff.  We had a front office that was forward looking and did things like pick up future draft picks, make smart cheap FA pickups and seemed to be having draft success.  Now that is all gone.  From a coaching perspective its even harder.  The Shanahan's had a good offense and a bad defense, pretty much what we have now.  The Shanahan's had a bad defensive coordinator, we have a bad defensive coordinator now.  The only difference is we went from a predominantly run first team to a pass first team.  

I'm telling you guys we're on the upward trend, it takes time. We have been pretty bad since 92 other than your one year here or there wildcard experience. We were close one year though in a playoff game against Tampa and Brad Johnson forgot how to put the football down for a field goal attempt to win it and advance to NFC championship game. Everything else til now has been pretty bad. Tod Collins gave us a good story one other year but alas that's been about it.

There ain't no magic dust in Grudens pocket to make it happen overnight but we are getting better. If we can find a nose tackle and a running back we will be back in playoffs. We have some good pieces in house, just need a little more 

8 minutes ago, Eric said:

I'm telling you guys we're on the upward trend, it takes time. We have been pretty bad since 92 other than your one year here or there wildcard experience. We were close one year though in a playoff game against Tampa and Brad Johnson forgot how to put the football down for a field goal attempt to win it and advance to NFC championship game. Everything else til now has been pretty bad. Tod Collins gave us a good story one other year but alas that's been about it.

There ain't no magic dust in Grudens pocket to make it happen overnight but we are getting better. If we can find a nose tackle and a running back we will be back in playoffs. We have some good pieces in house, just need a little more 

I've been burned by this team too many times to have that kind of optimism.  Cheers to you for still believing though.  

21 minutes ago, Eric said:

See, this is where I disagree. Upward trend is not moving on from your homegrown QB, trading your best young DB and your third round pick. 

Archived