We should be happy! Jay Gruden finally got to pick his QB!

I'm not getting in to all of that, you don't like being called not a fan, I don't like my opinion being called stuiped. Plenty of adjectives besides stuiped one can use. Quarterbacks are often judged by win/loss more often than not. If you cut your tv on it has been quite a hot topic of debate regarding Cousins. And I can't recall any analysts calling the thought stuiped anywhere.

I hear you guys on the W/L record thing. And when you pick out individual games where a QB played great and lost, it seems dumb and entirely unfair to hand him an L for that game. You guys know I love baseball too, and I’ve been banging the “pitcher wins don’t really matter because they’re a team outcome, not an individual stat” drum since I was old enough to understand what ERA is. 

But, and this is serious question, how many QBs who had a losing career record at age 30 were worthy of being made the highest paid player in the league? Take it out of the “Kirk/Redskins” context for a minute. He’s not the only QB who ever had a bad defense. How many losing-record QBs would have been a good investment as the highest paid player in the league?

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

I hear you guys on the W/L record thing. And when you pick out individual games where a QB played great and lost, it seems dumb and entirely unfair to hand him an L for that game. You guys know I love baseball too, and I’ve been banging the “pitcher wins don’t really matter because they’re a team outcome, not an individual stat” drum since I was old enough to understand what ERA is. 

But, and this is serious question, how many QBs who had a losing career record at age 30 were worthy of being made the highest paid player in the league? Take it out of the “Kirk/Redskins” context for a minute. He’s not the only QB who ever had a bad defense. How many losing-record QBs would have been a good investment as the highest paid player in the league?

Hmmm.  I’m on my phone and can’t do the research, but I’ll just guess Rich Gannon, maybe Steve Young?  

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

I'm not getting in to all of that, you don't like being called not a fan, I don't like my opinion being called stuiped. Plenty of adjectives besides stuiped one can use. Quarterbacks are often judged by win/loss more often than not. If you cut your tv on it has been quite a hot topic of debate regarding Cousins. And I can't recall any analysts calling the thought stuiped anywhere.

Ok...uninformed. 

9-7 without the rb and new wr provided we stay healthy. 10-6 with new additions, 11-5 If we get some lucky bounces. It is a game of inches after all. We're not in position to be a dominant team yet

3 minutes ago, Eric said:

9-7 without the rb and new wr provided we stay healthy. 10-6 with new additions, 11-5 If we get some lucky bounces. It is a game of inches after all. We're not in position to be a dominant team yet

And a first round out in the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, Eric said:

Eric, I’d love that. 

Take some friendly advice- don’t bet on that

I've got thick skin just like I hope most on here do, at the end of the day I'll argue what I feel to exhaustion. Just as many of you do and will. I just don't see the point about arguing the past, I don't see the point in thinking the worst. I am the ultimate optimist. I look forward to the first Skins game day of the tear more than any other day of the year and when people talk tanking a season and stuff like that your essentially ruining my Christmas with talk like that. So maybe out of that blind loyalty I'm not a realist in perception but that's ok with me because I'm happy hoping for the best and believing better days are ahead. I bleed this team, always have, always will

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

You know as well as I do that none of them hit Free Agency in their prime, also. Kirk is the first to force his way to FA in his prime. And doing so right when there are a few teams with huge cap space.

But if a starting QB with Kirk's resume hit FA in his prime. Right when teams had gobs of cap space, I'm not batting an eyelash that the QB gets top money (or close to it). Because, as you also know, today's overpay is tomorrow's bargain.

Back to Kirk. After 2015, did it seem like a good investment to pay Kirk $20m/year that he was asking for? Many didn't agree with it. I did because I knew we'd need him for at least 3 years and the extra $5m-6m a year difference was insurance for us against him getting better. But had we signed him to the contract he wanted then, his contract would be the 17th highest contract now. Some fans would've lost their minds in 2016 that we were paying him 20m/yr. But he'd be extremely cheap now.

Is he going to be worth top money? Dunno. I'm kinda glad we didn't sign him this year. I don't think he's worth top money. But I guarantee you some team thinks he's worth between 27-30m. And that was the market for him. But I'm not happy we spent that money on Smith and also gave up a 3rd and Fuller to boot. That was quintessential Redskins F.O. panicking and giving up the moon like we did with trades for TJ Duckett, Brandon Lloyd, Jason Taylor, Skippy McBouncepass, etc...

I think my, and others' problem is less with the fact that we didn't keep Kirk, and more with what the Front Office did and how they have continually screwed this up from end to end.

10 minutes ago, Eric said:

So with:

Crowder, Mo Harris, Doctson as our starting WRs...

And Kelley, Perine and Thompson as our RBs...

We're going 9-7? 

Good to know.

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Hmmm.  I’m on my phone and can’t do the research, but I’ll just guess Rich Gannon, maybe Steve Young?  

I’ve got the list of QBs who had 50+ starts with a losing record prior to age 30 up on my phone, but I can’t figure out how to embed the Pro Football Reference list here. 

For the time being, the best ones on the list appear to be:

Jim Kelly

Phil Simms

Jim Plunkett

Carson Palmer

Matthew Stafford

Daunte Culpepper

Derek Carr

Matt Schaub

Those seem to be the best guys on the list, aside from Cousins. As you can imagine, most of the others on the (42 player) list are just awful.

4 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Eric, I’d love that. 

I'm certainly not. However, I will bet on a Conf Championship and SB win when I get to Vegas in November. Should be long odds (and therefore pay off better than my bet on the Iggles in the SB last month).

2 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:
2 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Eric, I’d love that. 

I won't bet on it, because somehow, someway we will end up doing Redskin things during the season. Beat a team we shouldn't, then the following week lose to a team we shouldn't. That's always been the headscratcer to me

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

I’ve got the list of QBs who had 50+ starts with a losing record prior to age 30 up on my phone, but I can’t figure out how to embed the Pro Football Reference list here. 

For the time being, the best ones on the list appear to be:

Jim Kelly

Phil Simms

Jim Plunkett

Carson Palmer

Matthew Stafford

Daunte Culpepper

Derek Carr

Matt Schaub

Those seem to be the best guys on the list, aside from Cousins. As you can imagine, most of the others on the (42 player) list are just awful.

Thanks E!

6 minutes ago, Eric said:

I've got thick skin just like I hope most on here do, at the end of the day I'll argue what I feel to exhaustion. Just as many of you do and will. I just don't see the point about arguing the past, I don't see the point in thinking the worst. I am the ultimate optimist. I look forward to the first Skins game day of the tear more than any other day of the year and when people talk tanking a season and stuff like that your essentially ruining my Christmas with talk like that. So maybe out of that blind loyalty I'm not a realist in perception but that's ok with me because I'm happy hoping for the best and believing better days are ahead. I bleed this team, always have, always will

And... not being snarky here... please keep on being you. Optimism is needed.

Archived