49ers sign CB Richard Sherman

marky mark

2 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Seeing the numbers, I think it really puts to rest any question of just how smart Richard Sherman is. I can't believe any agent would have gotten him a contract this bad. Even if it works, it's just stupid and the team has complete control.

Eh he probably took the highest offer and went to a rival team to play against the Seahawks, don't see why that would make you question his intelligence. He's betting on himself to play well this year, he probably would've had to take a 1 year deal with every other team that offered him a contract.

3 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

Eh he probably took the highest offer and went to a rival team to play against the Seahawks, don't see why that would make you question his intelligence. He's betting on himself to play well this year, he probably would've had to take a 1 year deal with every other team that offered him a contract.

I highly doubt this. Do you see the sort of money teams are throwing at CB's? With this deal, Sherman will barely be a top 10 paid CB this year unless he makes the All-Pro team. He misses time, just a game or two, and he's to fall behind a good half a dozen other CB's or down into the 20's. He has no opt-out clause in this contract while the team can dump him with no real loss after one year. So if Sherman is back to form, he is stuck in this incentive laden contract for another two years.

It's doubtful that one day after being cut that Sherman the player was able to gauge the market, and then while negotiating with the 49ers for all of a day keep tabs on how other teams responded.

Even if he hits all of the incentives in this deal, which is highly unlikely, he won't be paid as a top 5 CB. even though doing so would mean that he was considered a top 2-3 CB. And the team controls him through what a CB could reasonably expect to be the end of his prime earning years.

I mean, the best thing you can say is that this wasn't about the money (in which case, I'd ask him how important sticking it to Seattle actually was to him). But if Sherman was hoping to show that players can negotiate their own contracts just as well as agents, he failed miserably. And I think Sherman did hope to show that. And I think Sherman does want to get paid, as well.

It seems like a good fit for Sherman.  It's a defense that can fit his fairly narrowly tailored skillset well (especially coming off an injury where his athletic ability may still be compromised).  It's heading back to Cali, which seems like something attractive to him.  And it's a chance to rub his old team's face in it twice a year if he can regain some semblance of his old form.  Goodness knows Sherman tends to have a chip on his shoulder, and likes to let that fuel him.

The contract is a bit weird, but it's hard to imagine teams were lining up to unload their bank accounts for a CB his age, coming off an extremely serious injury like that.  Representing himself or not...this may have been the only way he was even going to be offered the potential to get paid like a top CB, in a year where he's a complete unknown as to what he'll actually provide on the field due to injury.

Obviously Sherman thought he'd bet on himself.  Which is kind of why real agents can be a good idea.  A counterbalance to overwhelming self-confidence in athletes like this.  But really...either he does play up to par and it's a reasonable enough deal for him.  Or he doesn't, and he's back to the negotiating table with someone else next time around.  With this format, or a more conventional "prove it" deal, it all comes down to whether he can play well this year either way.  If he doesn't come back strong this year, he wasn't going to be looking at a strong deal next year either way.

In King's article it was stated that Sherman presented the same offer to the Raiders, Lions and Seahawks and all three passed on it saying essentially it was toi rich for them. So I don't think he was going to get a better deal elsewhere unless he would have signed a one year deal and go on the market again with some proof that he could still play at a high level. 

14 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Seeing the numbers, I think it really puts to rest any question of just how smart Richard Sherman is. I can't believe any agent would have gotten him a contract this bad. Even if it works, it's just stupid and the team has complete control.

He's coming off a very significant injury.  The Seattle Seahawks released Richard Sherman because they couldn't find a trade partner.  Just think about that.  Why would you question Sherman's intelligence because of the deal he took?  You make zero sense right now.

3 hours ago, showtime said:

He's coming off a very significant injury.  The Seattle Seahawks released Richard Sherman because they couldn't find a trade partner.  Just think about that.  Why would you question Sherman's intelligence because of the deal he took?  You make zero sense right now.

If Peter King reports it with direct quotes from everyone involved, it must totally be true! I mean, 49ers management is shaking at the thought of negotiating with future players right now. There's absolutely no reason for anyone involved to lie there, right? The reports on what other teams offered or said in response were vague in that story. Not even, what, three sentences? All saying the incentives were a bit too high. Which could mean many things. Sherman isn't likely to hit his max incentives and the 49ers know that.

Then we get Sherman bragging that he spent 11-12 hours reading contracts of other CB's. What a commitment!

If Sherman is happy with this deal, more power to him. But I've been around long enough to know that there's no way in hell this was the safest or best deal for him. If the 49ers are crowing about it the next day to the media about how great a negotiator he was, that should be a dead giveaway what nonsense the narrative is.

Archived