When 4 YPC = $100m (A Le'Veon Bell story)

Money

Honestly, I've never seen a dumber player in my life. Reports are they offered him $42m over the first three years. Let's do some math. Tag him three years in a row you get $12m, $14m, $17m, which is what they offered him and is the best he could do getting franchise tagged three years in a row. That was $13.3 AAV meaning 5 years, $66.5m - $42m over the first three years. Basically, $10m+ salaries in the final two years of the deal. Now, they offer more money this offseason.

Let me iron this out. This clown wants to negotiate at the franchise tag as a floor - $14.5m AAV. Let me show you the problem with that. Let's just say I tag him and then tag him again in 2019 at $17m. He now hits UFA in 2020 at age 28 and expects to be negotiating at $17m per year? No - it doesn't work that way. You depreciate in value over time. But under the tag you appreciate in value over time. For the time being. He'd be sitting right at where they offered him the five year deal where he got $42m either way really. What kind of deal would I expect him to get in 2020 at age 28 $10m AAV - which is exactly what he'd make under either long-term deal they offered him.

What this tells me is he's irrational and a moron. He can't do better than the Steelers deal no matter what. He's just one of those clowns that keeps saying NO hoping that you will go bat **** crazy on a deal and he cashes in. What he fails to realize is no matter where he goes his OL, WR, and QB combination will be worse, which means less stats you clown. Which means less money dum-dum.

The moral to this story is due to a contract impasse and the fact that I'm negotiating with a complete idiot he needs to be traded. I'm looking at a team with cap space that is close to being a contender that hasn't had a 1,000 yard rusher in six years or something like that. The Detroit Lions. He can be all nostalgic and hype for a few minutes and then be irrelevant in three years behind that OL. Cool story, Bell

PIT trades Le'Veon Bell, 2018 2nd, 60th overall to DET for 2018 1st, 20th overall and 2018 4th, 117th overall

There's never been a trade with more FMV. Take that as you will.

Note: According to the trade chart, with this trade, Le'Veon Bell is worth the 31st pick in the draft in terms of points.

I got another problem brewing. This Martavis Bryant character. The Green Bay Packers seems like a logical destination. They don't have anyone that can stretch the field. Jordy is virtually done. Davante Adams is still a drop machine. Cobbs I mean is a nice piece but not at what he costs them. Not one of those guys can stretch the field for Rodgers. Jordy is a possession guy. Cobbs is a slot IMO. And Davante is an outside WR with not much size or speed. What did he get paid so much? I dunno. So, that's why Bryant is a scheme fit. He's the tallest, fastest, best WR on the Packers. And he doesn't make $13m per year like the rest of the wide receivers. He makes less, he's the best - that's why it's a fit. I don't want to hear any of this no fit, not best ****. If your GB, why would you not give Rodgers a Brady-Moss type effect while you still have him in his prime. Do you not care for titles?

PIT trades Martavis Bryant, 2018 1st, 28th overall, 2018 5th, 148th overall (via SF) to GB for 2018 1st, 14th overall

Note: According to the chart, with this trade, Martavis Bryant is worth the 50th pick in the draft. Considering, I'll get at worst a 2020 4th rd comp pick plus I want value for his services this season in a trade. I'm considering this a fair value trade as well.

No Bell, No Bryant Draft Picks

1st round, 14th overall - Marcus Davenport OLB UTSA

This guy is fluid and gives us an elite pass rushing option. You can talk most sacks in franchise history all you want, but when the chips were on the table the team couldn't get a single hurry on Blake Bortles. Jacksonville doesn't have an elite OL either. The OLB position is good, not great. I think Watt is a perfect fit as a strongside LB in a 4-3 covering up the tight end. He doesn't give me that kind of pass rush I want from an edge rusher in a 3-4. I don't think he is strong enough or fast enough - he's just solid. Jarvis was below solid. Bud Dupree might be best used in space. He can't get that bend where he is today. Davenport gives me a 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE. He gives me someone like Von Miller.

1st round, 20th overall - Derwin James S FLORIDA STATE

Derwin is one of those freaks you've been seeing around these past few years. He's not as much of a freak as Sean Taylor or Jalen Ramsey. But he's in that range. When I watched his 40, he has that track speed. So, he's one of those kinds of athletes. He's a hard hitting safety. Don't be concerned that he's more of a hard hitting safety as opposed to free safety. We're so Brilliant we turn CB's into SS with Sean Davis. Usually a CB will go into a FS over time as he loses some wheels but we like to turn CBs into SS's. That's the brilliance of our secondary coach who was a LB turned SS. Better player than coach. Obviously. Don't be concerned with James as a hard hitter or Davis as a free safety as they can do both or switch. One of Derwin James best characteristics is his range. Check his instagram of the drill he posted. Range and Spiderman.

3rd round, 92nd overall - Andre Smith LB UNC

This guy was having a nice little year and then went down with a knee. Ran a 4.62 40 at the combine. He's your thumper but he can move. Went down with a hamstring during the combine so he didn't do drills. Do you think he's injury prone? He went down with a knee in October people with less heart - like DeShaun Watson - would still be rehabbing. The hamstring has to do with the knee. These things take time. This is a mean, fast, football player. He reminds me of Ray Lewis.

4th round, 117th overall - Kalen Ballage RB ARIZONA STATE or Bo Scarbrough RB ALABAMA

I don't know who I want so I gave two physically dominant and fast options. They'll go 4th round. This is how much a joke the RB position is. You get steals down here and that's why you don't pay $100m to a RB. Ballage got beat out red flag. Scarbrough got beat out red flag. Both 6'2" under 4.5 40 guys that give me a little thunder in the backfield

Note: James Conner, 4th RD RB, and Jerick McKinnon will be my 3 RBs so chill on the RB complaints. That's top 10 in the league.

5th round, 165th overall - Jaleel Scott WR NEW MEXICO STATE

I was watching the 40's and this was one guy I was interested in and he didn't disappoint. Ran a 4.5 40 at 6'5". His tape isn't bad playing against less competition. 76 recs 1079 yds and 9 TDs this season. Productive player. Gives me a red zone threat - situational football. Plus comes about as close as I can get to Bryant in terms of recreating him, especially in the 5th rd

Note: Also signing Taylor Gabriel WR as a slot option

7th round, 220th overall - Jordan Whitehead SS PITT

This is an early 7th so it's possible he falls this far. Not without his faults. Undersized. I think I'm getting a fast, physical player and gives me some depth at the position.

Note: JJ Wilcox and Mike Mitchell were cut. Obviously.

7th round, 246th overall - Quadree Henderson WR PITT

Gimmick plays. Special teams. He's like one of those Tavon Austin type players. Not as skilled or dynamic but what the hell. Why not two PITT players who ran for cover and came out too early.

NFL Mock Draft

1- CLEVELAND - SaQuon Barkley RB Penn State

2 - NEW YORK - Sam Darnold QB USC

3 - INDIANAPOLIS - Bradley Chubb DE NC STATE

4 - ARIZONA (via CLE) - Josh Allen QB WYOMING

5 - DENVER - Josh Rosen QB UCLA

6 - NEW YORK - Baker Mayfield QB OKLAHOMA

7 - TAMPA BAY - Roquan Smith LB GEORGIA

8 - CHICAGO - Minkah Fitzpatrick CB ALABAMA

9 - SAN FRANCISCO - Quenton Nelson G NOTRE DAME

10 - OAKLAND - Tremaine Edmunds LB VA TECH

11 - MIAMI - Calvin Ridley WR ALABAMA

12 - CINCINNATI - LaMar Jackson QB LOUISVILLE

13 - WASHINGTON - Vita Vea DT WASHINGTON

14 - PITTSBURGH (via GB) - Marcus Davenport OLB UTSA

15 - CLEVELAND (via AZ) - Malik Jefferson LB TEXAS

16 - BALTIMORE - DJ Moore WR MARYLAND

17 - LOS ANGELES CHARGERS - Taven Bryan DT FLORIDA

18 - SEATTLE - Josh Jackson CB Iowa

19 - DALLAS - Da'Ron Payne DT ALABAMA

20 - PITTSBURGH - Derwin James S FLORIDA STATE

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018-pittsburgh-steelers-free-agency-news-rumors/2018/3/6/17083296/leveon-bell-details-rejected-contract-offer-opens-up-about-contract-demands-steelers-franchise-tag

Asked about his criteria for assessing that worth, Bell explained:

+ He’s putting up more yards per game than any NFL player (his career average of 128.9 yards from scrimmage per game is the best since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger).

+ He plays every down and basically fills the role of three backs.

+ His presence keeps the defense off guard because he can line up anywhere on any play, “causing constant mismatches every single down,” he said.

+ He’s an elite pass-blocker and No. 2 receiver.

+ The Steelers are undefeated when he gets 25 or more carries.

+ His game will age well because he makes plays not solely off athleticism, but “with my mind.”

Bell is correct about all of this, but I am not sure about the last one.  The way he has been used, this O essentially goes through him one way or another. I don't know what that is worth, but I think at least he should be paid the same as AB. Maybe they get another RB to do the thinks Bell can do, but more likely, they'll need at least two guys.

You know what’s crazy about this because I wanted to dispel something. 

LeVeons 4.3 YPC is tied for 73rd all time. Two tenths of a yard more and he’s in the top 50. That’s actually how good he’s been. 

He has a possible future as an agent ( or his current agent has schooled him well) ¬¬

We went from a usually D minded team to a team that has the best WR that gets celebration penalties and a RB that believes he should  be the highest paid RB ever. Times are changing, and get used to it.  Who can blame Bell for wanting the best deal he can get, especially after the injuries he has already had. I was hoping we would get a few RD1 picks for him, but it ain't happening is it ? The times of a good = great D are history, accept when playing bad teams. Just get used to it, as there is no way we can pay Bell and also have a good - great D. We need too much help on D , but I will eat crow if wrong and hope to.  

Just now, warfelg said:

LeVeons 4.3 YPC is tied for 73rd all time. Two tenths of a yard more and he’s in the top 50. That’s actually how good he’s been. 

Munchak  should get a share of the new deal, the OL is a reason for his success.  

Just now, 3rivers said:

Munchak  should get a share of the new deal, the OL is a reason for his success.  

He was doing the same before Munchak. His last 3 before this year we’re 4.7; 4.9; 4.9. If he kept that up he would be T-13 all time in YPC (based on min attempts). 

What more do people want? This is getting absurd trying to rip the guy. 

I will say this about the D... In SB 43, the Steelers D played great for like 50 mins or so. Deebo had THE play of the game. Yet, the Steelers almost lost, and needed great plays by Ben and Santonio Holmes to pull it out in the waning seconds.

The LEAGUE has changed so much, it is hard to have a good D. Philly was supposed to be one of the best, but they needed great offense to win over New England.

The Steelers O mindset should be to score 40 every game. The D needs to try to make stops and force FGs, while the O puts TDs on the board.

That's how teams are going to win going forward, like it or not.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

He was doing the same before Munchak. His last 3 before this year we’re 4.7; 4.9; 4.9. If he kept that up he would be T-13 all time in YPC (based on min attempts). 

What more do people want? This is getting absurd trying to rip the guy. 

I wouldn't "rip" his game. Except for off field and injury issues it's been fantastic. But his demands will hamstring this team. That by definition is the "Me First" attitude that I despise. Take a million less a year and make $65 (approx.) million instead of $70 (approx.) and help the team continue to be competitive. He takes the current offer as disrespectful. He is equating money to respect. That drives me crazy. I say this understanding that some feel the same way and don't have a problem with it. And that's fine. 

Just now, cjfollett said:

I will say this about the D... In SB 43, the Steelers D played great for like 50 mins or so. Deebo had THE play of the game. Yet, the Steelers almost lost, and needed great plays by Ben and Santonio Holmes to pull it out in the waning seconds.

The LEAGUE has changed so much, it is hard to have a good D. Philly was supposed to be one of the best, but they needed great offense to win over New England.

The Steelers O mindset should be to score 40 every game. The D needs to try to make stops and force FGs, while the O puts TDs on the board.

That's how teams are going to win going forward, like it or not.

Most of the playoff teams had solid defenses whether overall, Jaguars, or situationally, Steelers.

41 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I wouldn't "rip" his game. Except for off field and injury issues it's been fantastic. But his demands will hamstring this team. That by definition is the "Me First" attitude that I despise. Take a million less a year and make $65 (approx.) million instead of $70 (approx.) and help the team continue to be competitive. He takes the current offer as disrespectful. He is equating money to respect. That drives me crazy. I say this understanding that some feel the same way and don't have a problem with it. And that's fine. 

I'm ok with it, and that's because in professional sports money is respect.  Bridgestone only gives me $2500 in free golf balls a year, while my co-worker who's a slightly better player (well not really better just plays more) gets $4000 in free balls from Titliest.  To me that speaks to respect.  Titleist respects him and wants to keep him happy.  Bridgestone doesn't respect me and doesn't really care.

And I'm going to give a different take here:

Signing Bell is the best move for our offense and our defense.  Yes our defense.  This defense is built to play withe leads, and then get teams getting desperate because we can burn clock while they are trying to get their way back into the game.  Bell is a huge part of both, ad he helps us build that big lead to start with, ad he's able to get yards that not many other backs can get, stretch some drives for us, and keep our defense on the bench while their offense is willing to take more risks.  Our defense doesn't need major money put into it because of that.  We can take some risks on less expensive talent on offense because of that.

So to me signing Bell is a move for both sides of the ball to make them better.

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

Take a million less a year and make $65 (approx.) million instead of $70 (approx.) and help the team continue to be competitive. He takes the current offer as disrespectful. He is equating money to respect. That drives me crazy.

And it drives me crazy how easy it is for people to tell HIM what to do with HIS money when if presented with a similar situation in their own life, in their own financial terms -- we would all do the same damn thing. We dont live in the world they live in. Just because its more money than any of us on this forum combined could ever hope to have -- it doesnt make it wrong for him to want all of what he could get and it doesnt make it wrong to push back against the tag which is awful for the players. 

And its not about saying no to 1 extra million. Its the fact that the 1 year pact of the franchise tag, he isn't allowed to find his own market value -- a value that would be greater then anything he could negotiate without the leverage of the 31 other teams - and he has to risk injury again in order to reach FA. In ascending value there's the Steelers offer, the number Bell would accept to be a Steeler, and then a greater number that some team would be willing to pay him on the open market. So no, its not about saying yes to $1M/year less long term like you say, its about saying no to potential $2/3M extra a year. If anyone here would gladly make that decision in their own life...I wish you the best.

He doesn't owe the Steelers anything and he just watched a teammates career end before his first real payday in the league too. Bells value as a running back depreciates every year he gets closer to 30 and with another 400 touches on tap under the franchise tag, playing can really only hurt his value and therefore his next contract conversation. So every time the Steelers tag him, they take away some of the money he could be getting and it only takes one play under that tag to take it all future earnings away. Him talking or threatening to retire is literally the only leverage he has over these negotiations. I may not like it, but he deserves the right to try to get the max amount for himself. 

6 hours ago, warfelg said:

But last year it was only 3.9... almost a half a yard per carry down... With so many touches he will take more punishment and it will continue to decrease...

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

And it drives me crazy how easy it is for people to tell HIM what to do with HIS money when if presented with a similar situation in their own life, in their own financial terms -- we would all do the same damn thing. We dont live in the world they live in. Just because its more money than any of us on this forum combined could ever hope to have -- it doesnt make it wrong for him to want all of what he could get and it doesnt make it wrong to push back against the tag which is awful for the players. 

And its not about saying no to 1 extra million. Its the fact that the 1 year pact of the franchise tag, he isn't allowed to find his own market value -- a value that would be greater then anything he could negotiate without the leverage of the 31 other teams - and he has to risk injury again in order to reach FA. In ascending value there's the Steelers offer, the number Bell would accept to be a Steeler, and then a greater number that some team would be willing to pay him on the open market. So no, its not about saying yes to $1M/year less long term like you say, its about saying no to potential $2/3M extra a year. If anyone here would gladly make that decision in their own life...I wish you the best.

He doesn't owe the Steelers anything and he just watched a teammates career end before his first real payday in the league too. Bells value as a running back depreciates every year he gets closer to 30 and with another 400 touches on tap under the franchise tag, playing can really only hurt his value and therefore his next contract conversation. So every time the Steelers tag him, they take away some of the money he could be getting and it only takes one play under that tag to take it all future earnings away. Him talking or threatening to retire is literally the only leverage he has over these negotiations. I may not like it, but he deserves the right to try to get the max amount for himself. 

Please tell me you see the contradiction here. Also, I never said it was "wrong" for him wanting more money. I'm suggesting I would like him to take less for the TEAM. I also stated that I know others (like yourself) are fine with his wanting the Max contract and that's OK. To each their own. However, I am confident that if I was ever in that position I would take less to help the team get better. I'm competitive. If I thought my giant contract would hurt the team (which I do) I wouldn't ask for it. 

7 hours ago, MDSteeler1971 said:

But last year it was only 3.9... almost a half a yard per carry down... With so many touches he will take more punishment and it will continue to decrease...

You can't look at one season and say that's the trend.

Archived