Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bonus

jebrick

The All-Pro receiver is converting most of his $7.875 million base salary for 2018 into a signing bonus, according to a source. His new salary will be around $915,000. Brown used Snapchat to post a snippet of agent Drew Rosenhaus explaining his reworked contract.

Add another 6M to the cap space

33 minutes ago, jebrick said:

from sportrac

Mar 7 2018Converted $6.96M in 2018 salary & a $6M roster bonus to signing bonus, clearing $9.72M in cap space for Pittsburgh

I’m expecting a Villy restructure and a new deal/extension for Ben.

Ben has a $5 mill roster bonus IIRC thats coming due very soon.

Not sure why people claim this is a classy move when a player restructures.    Its not like they are taking a pay cut in general.    They are just guaranteeing more money and pushing it into the future.

Sure, you could argue they dont HAVE to do this, but unless a player is really hurting for immediate money (which we know Brown isnt), it actually benefits them more in the long run.

39 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I’m expecting a Villy restructure and a new deal/extension for Ben.

Ben has a $5 mill roster bonus IIRC thats coming due very soon.

No incentive to re-sign Ben. Last year, here's a guy who is threatening retirement. This year, here's a guy seeing exploding QB deals and goes hmmmm how about a new Ben deal where he takes $40m in a signing bonus. Yeah, Ben - not happening.

Pay him. Pay him. Then franchise tag him (if need be). 

No incentive to touch Ben's deal. I'll franchise him in if I have to in 2020 at AGE 38 

32 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Not sure why people claim this is a classy move when a player restructures.    Its not like they are taking a pay cut in general.    They are just guaranteeing more money and pushing it into the future.

Sure, you could argue they dont HAVE to do this, but unless a player is really hurting for immediate money (which we know Brown isnt), it actually benefits them more in the long run.

Because it's helping the team in the current?? Clearing up nearly 10 mill in cap room, I'd label that as classy and a team first move IMO, but maybe I'm crazy. Sure, he's going to eventually get that money, but the Steelers aren't in a great cap situation this year, and he's helping them with it. 

The next moves should be cut one of Wilcox or Mitchell - the other when the position is taken care of via the draft. Insurance in case you don't fill the position. Cutting Wilcox saves $3,462,500 using post June-1 designation.

Villanueva (saves $3.4m) and McDonald (saves $2.7m) are next up for restructures.

You can still cut Gay. Post June-1 designation saves you $2,066,667 

Minor houskeeping opens up [$1m cap space as of today + 3.4625 + 3.4 + 2.7 + 2.0666] = $12.6m 

Boswell 2nd rd tender $2,914,000. Let Chickilo walk - he's a bum. Don't sugarcoat it. He's a bum.

$10m to sign UFA.

And then cut Mitchell to sign the draft picks.

What's this re-sign restructure Ben talk. That's asinine. That's risk on the table.

43 minutes ago, JPeezy55 said:

Because it's helping the team in the current?? Clearing up nearly 10 mill in cap room, I'd label that as classy and a team first move IMO, but maybe I'm crazy. Sure, he's going to eventually get that money, but the Steelers aren't in a great cap situation this year, and he's helping them with it. 

I dont want to get into a big debate about it since I dont really care either way.    Im just saying that its not like Brown is taking any kind of risk or paycut.   Does he have to do it?  No, but it doesnt negatively effect him at all.    I get why people might view it as "classy"....but I just view it as business.  

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I dont want to get into a big debate about it since I dont really care either way.    Im just saying that its not like Brown is taking any kind of risk or paycut.   Does he have to do it?  No, but it doesnt negatively effect him at all.    I get why people might view it as "classy"....but I just view it as business.  

And in fact it's the opposite of helping the team TBH.  He's backloading the contract some to get himself more guaranteed money.

6 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Nobody is suggesting it's an altruistic move but it helps the team NOW and not all players do it. 

Do you have any examples of players refusing to do it?  

Dont get me wrong, Im sure it's happened, but Im willing to bet its pretty rare.

People claim its "classy".    Im just curious whats classy about it.  

If Antonio Brown went to the front office and said "Im willing to take a $2m per year paycut as long as it goes to resigning LeVeon", then something like THAT is classy, because he is giving up something for the team.

In this case, Brown isnt really giving up anything.   He is just pushing his money into future years.   He is still guaranteed to get it.    There is no risk and no sacrifice.

If people want to call it classy....so be it.    I disagree.  Its nice of him, I guess, but in the end, its just business.

12 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Do you have any examples of players refusing to do it?  

Dont get me wrong, Im sure it's happened, but Im willing to bet its pretty rare.

People claim its "classy".    Im just curious whats classy about it.  

If Antonio Brown went to the front office and said "Im willing to take a $2m per year paycut as long as it goes to resigning LeVeon", then something like THAT is classy, because he is giving up something for the team.

In this case, Brown isnt really giving up anything.   He is just pushing his money into future years.   He is still guaranteed to get it.    There is no risk and no sacrifice.

If people want to call it classy....so be it.    I disagree.  Its nice of him, I guess, but in the end, its just business.

Sounds like we're just debating semantics. Brown's restructuring helped the team this year. I like that. He didn't sacrifice anyhting. I'm sure he likes that. Win-Win. Fwiw: I think Flacko refused to restructure. 

Archived