LB Alec Ogletree traded to Giants

Acgott

Ohhh I like this! Nice to have a good LB, especially for Bettchers system.

EDIT: I didn't realize he was 2nd team All-Pro last year! Plus he's only 26 years old! He was also team Captain the last two years. This is a GREAT add for the defense. Especially since we only gave up a couple day 3 picks. 

Great work, Gettleman!

4 minutes ago, bzane said:

"You can find good linebackers EVERY YEAR in the 4th-5th-6th rounds!"

Image result for Jerry Reese

Ugh I'm so happy I no longer have to see his face or hear his snippy attitude at the media when they confront him about how horrible his drafts were.

I'm excited to see what this new Bettcher hybrid defense looks like! I expect it to take a least a couple weeks until they start to gel. But adding a leader like Olgetree is always a plus and should help with that.

Really interested to see Bettcher's defense come together. Lots of unknowns and moving pieces. The compensation is great on our end. The Rams obviously wanted to dump his salary and I can't imagine Gettleman and Abrams would go through with this if the latter didn't have a way to finagle and fit his contract into the budget. Good trade.

Hopefully he and OBJ can make amends. Anyone else remember that brawl a few years back?

9 minutes ago, bagh said:

Wow.....we actually invested in a LB. I am actually speechless.

Love this move.

The salary concerns me though. I think you are going to see at least 1 DB cut.

Ahhhh, a linebacker, yes; but can Alec Ogletree ever hope to measure up to the glorious list of Jerry Reese-drafted Giant' linebackers???

NFL: Preseason-New York Giants at Buffalo Bills 
Timothy T. Ludwig | USA TODAY Sports
LB draft picks

B.J. Goodson: 2016 fourth round (pictured)

Devon Kennard: 2014 fifth round

Greg Jones: 2011 sixth round

Phillip Dillard: 2010 fourth round

Clint Sintim: 2009 second round

Bryan Kehl: 2008 fourth round

Jonathan Goff: 2008 fifth round

Let's see Lawrence Taylor, Carl Banks, and Harry Carson top THAT!!!

45 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Hopefully he and OBJ can make amends. Anyone else remember that brawl a few years back?

Haha that's the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the move, too. I'm sure it's just water under the bridge now. Obj and Norman made amends. If those two could, then I'm sure he and Ogletree will be cool.

For all those worried about the salary cap (and really don't understand it) #Giants will likely turn Ogletree's roster bonus into a signing bonus and instantly his 2018 cap number will be $4.75M. 

Just like that $5.25M saved vs. cap, pushed to future years.

1 hour ago, bzane said:

Ahhhh, a linebacker, yes; but can Alec Ogletree ever hope to measure up to the glorious list of Jerry Reese-drafted Giant' linebackers???

NFL: Preseason-New York Giants at Buffalo Bills 
Timothy T. Ludwig | USA TODAY Sports
LB draft picks

B.J. Goodson: 2016 fourth round (pictured)

Devon Kennard: 2014 fifth round

Greg Jones: 2011 sixth round

Phillip Dillard: 2010 fourth round

Clint Sintim: 2009 second round

Bryan Kehl: 2008 fourth round

Jonathan Goff: 2008 fifth round

Let's see Lawrence Taylor, Carl Banks, and Harry Carson top THAT!!!

Jerry Reese traded for LBs twice. He netted Jon Beason and Keith Rivers. Alec Ogletree is obviously a very different player when acquired than those 2 were. 

30 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Congrats on the trade, I think both fan bases are very happy. A question for you guys though. Did I see your DC is converting to a 3-4? If so have they said where he will play?

I’ll imagine inside linebacker 

Archived